General Discussion 2 wellington NRL bids

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by kiwi's 13-6, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

That's in an ideal world.

Unfortunately greed drives the NRL. The broadcasters require more games. The NRL want to reduce the number of rounds. Only way to do both is increase the number of teams.

2. kiwi's 13-6
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2013

kiwi's 13-6 1st Grade Fringe

the article on potential wellington side wanting to sign Kieran Foran was good in terms of hype keeping the bid in the media, if they do get an NRL licence Foran would be exactly the kind of high profile player they would need to sign trouble is everyone in the NRL want to sign Foran. I noticed steve kearney and family in wellington over the holidays, kearney originally from wellington would be a good coach for this side.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

The private consortium NRL Wellington bid has released to public tonight name of their proposed bid. The name of their bid is "South Pacific Cyclones" with up to half of their games to be played in Fiji plus other countries in South Pacific region such as Tonga, Western Samoa and Cook Islands. Personally as cool as all that is, I am still not impressed by the name and think that they could of gone with something little less bland like South Pacific Headhunters or South Pacific Chieftains or South Pacific Chiefs or referencing fact that alot of us started out as cannibals how about South Pacific Longporks with wild pig as their team logo ? The reason why I am suggesting all this is because when you consider that if their bid succeeds they will be competing against already strong Warriors brand and will need equally strong brand themselves if they are to survive. I mean shit knowing that there's Newtown in Wellington I don't know why they just don't align themselves with original Sydney club Newtown Jets and just call themselves Wellington Newtown Jets. That's sort of shit that will get you admitted into NRL ... :)

4. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Intriguing concept.

That's a hell of a lot of travelling but tapping into the Pacific region from a player standpoint could be a gold mine.

Still comes across as pie in the sky stuff, but as someone who is pro international development I really like the concept.

• List
  5. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

It will never happen. They cant, wont even sort out teams in Sydney. Or expand more into qld where NRL is no 1 sport

• List
  6. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Interesting idea but I think the travel would kill them (warriors struggle enough) maybe if it was only 1-2 games might make it easier.
    I see it as a bit of a ploy to gain favour for expansion by ticking another box by having a PI representation.

Potentially a better idea would be to have a Pacific team by combining Fiji and PNG bids with a couple of games in Samoa,
    Add them in with NZ2, Brisbane 2 , West coast- dump/merge 2 Sydney teams and bring in central coast and Adelaide and be done with it 20 team comp each team playing each other once with alternating home and away

7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

True...that is the politics of a Sydney run comp. They have too many teams in Sydney compared with Brisbane. NZ is only in there for the TV ratings, they only need one team from here for that.

8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Nice idea of travelling the Pacific as the NRL's missionary brigade and spreading the League word but you'd have a hard time getting players to sign up to be away from home for so many games.

I believe its merely a ploy to try get noticed ahead of the other teams that are vying for inclusion but a Wellington team is a very far away prospect. A second Brisbane team as well as one in Perth will get the nod well ahead of a second NZ team...

9. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

A Wellington based bid playing half their home games away...that's a sure fire way to not get any support from Wellingtonians...
    It sure wouldn't lure me away from the Warriors..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Good to have some details about one of the Wellington bids.

They will be behind the Queensland bids as John Grant has already said South East Queensland would most likely get a team. Sure he's biased towards Queensland and it should be investigated properly but he is in an extremely high position of influence so his opinion carries a lot of weight. Then add in the Perth bid which is meant to have a lot of money behind it and a time zone that appeals to broadcasters.

After those two locations I'd refer another NZ team. It's getting to the point where they need to seriously look at expansion again. There are two many bids in areas that would most likely miss out but could add a lot to the competition such as NZ, Central Coast that the relocation or rationalisation of the Sydney clubs should be looked at. I doubt that would happen as their the clubs that make the most noise but it is what everyone wanted when the ARLC was formed.

The split of games between Wellington and Fiji is interesting. Their travel demands would be a lot higher than the Warriors and Cowboys. We find it hard to attract talent; they'll have the same obstacles so it would be interesting on what the players think of the travel.

11. the borg
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

the borg Warriors Bench Player

I think maybe Wellington should look at entering an U20s side only in the Nrl to start with.
    The nrl governing body might look favourably at a proposal that would be aimed at junior development in nz as there is potentially a huge base.
    If successful then to enter a 1st grade team in maybe 3-5 years later...a 2nd nz U20s side would open the door for a 2nd NZ based 1st grade team.... food 4 thought..

12. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

Play The Ball 1st Grade Fringe

As others have said - this is pie in the sky stuff. A second Brisbane team and Perth are an absolute must. It will take them 10 years to expand again beyond that but Central Queensland and Adelaide would have to be higher on the priority list than a mickey mouse traveling circus. If they could get a decent model being based entirely in Wellington there is scope to jump into consideration for expansion after the next one. Any credibility the idea had evaporated with this silly Pacific roadshow plan.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  13. kiwi's 13-6
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2013

Dont think much of a Wellington/fiji bid just seems stupid... not like welli or anywhere in nz is even close to Fiji, when you think how much travelling Warriors do then add home trips to fiji... the whole thing is a gimmick to get media interest and it made me think the people behind it wanting to now call themselves the Cycloynes are a joke!

Tho only pratical way it could work is a fiji NSW Cup side act as feeder club to 2nd nz bid and in exchange hold 1 trial game and 1 nrl game in fiji anything else to much travel... also what happend to deal this wellington bid had with celebration in Christchurch to run a NSW Cup side?

as for second u20's based in NZ i believe u20's are being scrapped in current format so i doubt that will happen

• List
  14. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

All the NZ Warriors need to do to shut down this Wellington bid is to take their example and host their own home away game somewhere in Pacific such as Apia, Suva, or Nuku'alofa. One way of doing this and this is something I've been suggesting for years is to play their opening game of season in Aloha Stadium in Honolulu in Hawaii (preferably against rival team like Eels). Doing it this way you will effectively kill two birds with one stone as not only will you be playing game in pacific but you also will be promoting it in a vast strategic marketplace like America. Anyway, I agree with commentators on here that Wellington NRL bid will never happen not when next two teams will definitely be The Perth Pirates and either Ipswich Jets or Brisbane Bombers. The only way that I can see Wellington getting team is if NRL does something drastic in next five to ten years like forcing all non foundation NRL clubs or NRL clubs without foundation ties out of Sydney with one of them ending up here ...

:)

• List
  15. Maraea
    Join:
    May 20, 2013

Maraea 1st Grade Fringe

Why would the gold coast or broncos want another set Queensland team? Why would Perth with their population, location and afl team be any better than wellington? Adelaide's got the same problems re: population, rival codes that Perth has. Theres no great history of league in Adelaide either. Including island venues in their schedule will be the NRL and the franchises problem. Its a good idea, I'd watch.

16. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

Looks like the plans for working with Christchurch would be the other Wellington bid. The other bid I'm not sure on much of the details like funding etc. That's why in my opinion they are quite far behind the Perth and Brisbane Bombers bids which have a lot of media behind them and a lot of things going for them that would appeal to the NRL.

I'd love another NZ team; sure it would mean more competition for the Warriors in terms of picking up juniors. But that could be a blessing with the added competition the Warriors would need to have their act together. The other appealing thing would be the rivalry we'd naturally have.

17. kiwi's 13-6
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2013

I thought the 2 bids merged a while back? Saw the head of Cyclones an aussie called Robert Picone interviewed on Sky News channel tonite pretty sure he was same person behind merged wtgn bids & deal with celebration to be NSW Cup feeder side, the bids credibility has taken a dive in my view as it seems he will claim anything to get in press... my question is who is this guy anyway? visionary?dreamer? multimillionaire? average joe with a cousin who works for fox news?

18. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Man just reading that reminded me of Terry Serepisos one time former owner of Wellington Phoenix A League Football Club. He too overpromised so he could secure operating license for his team and look what happened them. Those overpromises meant he had to overspend putting club into further and further financial difficulties almost bankrupting the club by 2010 though he blamed global recession for it's sudden downturn (which in fairness was sort of true. Global recession did destroy his financial empire and in 2012 he was forced to declare bankruptcy owing government more than $200 million in unpaid taxes alone). I don't think Wellington wants to see another Phoenix typed disaster again ...

19. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

You could be right. The answer could be within the 10 pages of this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if I wrote a post myself that merging the two bids like Perth did would be a good idea instead of two disjointed bids. Better to have won strong bid with more financial backing behind it.

It is starting to sound familiar. Like Fiji and PNG it might be a good idea to get another NZ side in either the NSW or QLD Cups. The NSW Cup would give us a local game vs the Warriors each year.

20. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

With what is happening with the Phoenix at the moment, we should be happy the warriors bring in enough money via kiwi league fans (with sky paying a hearty amount for NRL coverage) that the convict administration let NZ have one franchise!

The comments from David Gallop that the Phoenix do nothing to help grow football in Australia (probably true) would be spine chilling if the same school of thought applied at the NRL.