General Discussion 2 wellington NRL bids

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by kiwi's 13-6, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Juju
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

Juju 1st Grade Fringe

Phoenix games on Sky rate extremely poorly so Sky won't pay decent money for the broadcasting rights - so I think its a bottom line dollar decision for the Australians.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

The same school of thought did/does still apply. It is the TV rights that guarantee us a team and also means we will only ever get one team because that is all they need for TV rights. So the Warriors are very safe and Welllington can dream on. Geez if they can bend over backwards to let a dysfunctional outfit like Cronulla survive Wellington have no chance.

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Besides paying their fees to the head office in Oz what do the Phoenix actually add?

Do they top the competition in merchandise sales? Do they have a high viewership in NZ? Do they sell out Australian stadiums because of the extra interest from expats? Does NZ provide a hotbed of talent that the Australian A League teams enjoy?

If like me you answer no to all those questions then I think David Gallop has a sound case for kicking the club out.

On the flipside Id answer yes to all of those questions in regards to the Warriors. JujuJuju summed it up perfectly...

4. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I've seen a lot of articles or heard a lot of talk back on how hard it is to get people in Wellington out to support sports teams. Before this Super Rugby season there was the same talk about the support for the Hurricanes; things picked up once they started winning.

I recall hearing on talk back one year how the Phoenix were getting some of the best crowds in the A-League.

Both of those are different sports but it does show the challenges a new NRL club based in Wellington will have. Would another NRL club in NZ bring in more broadcasting money from Sky? The head of Sky has said they don't see the demand; but it's in his interests to keep their payments down. But if he thought another NZ team would bring in more ratings I'm guessing he'd be more vocal and behind it.

I think the last figure I heard was $20 million was needed a year to be competitive in the NRL. A portion of that needs to come from crowds week to week.

Look don't get me wrong I'd love another NZ side in the NRL especially with the derby match vs. the Warriors but it will be a huge challenge. Firstly they are behind the Aussie favourite locations in Brisbane and Perth and then there are the challenges in getting it up and running. Remember the Warriors haven't had a smooth history business wise.

5. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

of course they don't, but gallop could void the licence of every a league team using those criteria, except for about 3 of them. The Phoenix don't actually take anything away from the a-league either, they are just kind of a nothing outfit.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    • List
  6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

TBF the Warriors are the same in terms of crowd support. Numbers swell when the team start winning. To key difference is that the club have a 10,000 fan base that will show to home games whether the team win or lose. Not going to have the club swimming in cash but at the very least they break even.

Minus bandwagon supporters whats the base number for Wellington teams? Most would be losing money wouldnt they???

Couldnt agree more...

7. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

When I wrote that I was wandering why the media highlight Wellington but it is a New Zealand thing where we tend to support winners. There is also a lot of discussion on talk back about getting crowds to rugby matches besides All Blacks matches and finals. The Warriors 10,000 base is pretty good by New Zealand standards.

8. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

With the A League, the thing that is grating people the most, is they are a well run business who need no help from the league. Brisbane and Newcastle are shitters of clubs, and have been topped up by A League several times, and are now run by the league. The Phoenix aren't causing any problems being in the competition, they are generally competitive, and with a league of only ten teams, there is no real need to boot them out.

Are they adding much money into the A Leagues pockets? Na. That's all they care about at the end of the day, and it's a shame. They are well liked in Wellington, and provide virtually the only pathway to professional football in New Zealand. On that alone, they are crucial to the sport in NZ. Do Australian Football care about that? Of Course not.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

9. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Someone did some figures a couple of seasons back and the Warriors were the best supported NZ club in any sport - I seem to remember the Crusaders having a higher average but the Warriors season total was more due to playing more games?

10. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Westpac Stadium is one of the few stadiums in NZ to produce attendance figures;

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

11. kiwi's 13-6
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2013

kiwi's 13-6 1st Grade Fringe

Bit of Phoenix hate on here but like blain said
    Like SBW said when asked at rugby world about English Soccer "I'm a Wellington Phoenix supporter myself" all jokes aside i mean what do most people know about soccer football in nz that they identify with Highligts of Phoenix on news or crowd goes wild 1st thing id think about. They are financially solvent give A league link to extra 4.5 million people, they have hardcore fan base of 6-7k. Only local pro pathway for youth!

• List
  12. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

How about a Perth NRL team now?

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Why not? It really worked well last time.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

RL over here in Perth is so so small. No junior grades, pretty sure it goes U18, reserves, prems. They're trying hard to grow it, but never gonna really amount to anything. Massive AFL stronghold.

• List
  15. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

Same thing was said about the Storm

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  16. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

It has already been tried in Perth though.

17. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

God I'd love a Wellington NRL team.

The advantage to the NRL being It's own thing is it will do what's best for the comp. As opposed to A league where they have teams that not pay their players and the financially stable team is the one they look to boot because its not Strayan.

18. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

In a time of Super League when Murdick decided he wanted a Melbourne team at the expensive of Perth

• List
  19. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

If you think Auckland has a hard time attracting players from Australia to come play for the Warriors, wait till you see what happens if/when Wellington comes into play. They will have to throw up big cash for old, average NRL players on long term deals....

Its important that any new NZ city wanting an NRL licence in the future has its shit together when it comes to development and pathways for the younger generation. Just because you build, doesnt mean they will come. Hate to say it, but IMO NZ is not ready for a second NRL side and wont be for a while.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  20. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

One couldn't be blamed for asking is Auckland ready for an NRL team. Continued lack of success might
    suggest otherwise. ‍♂️

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List