General Discussion 2 wellington NRL bids

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by kiwi's 13-6, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Can't see Wellington being any less attractive than Auckland to Aussie, cheaper housing, easier to get around, better stadium. Just don't show them around when there is a southerly.

2. Khaboom
    Join:
    Apr 22, 2016

Khaboom Warriors Bench Player

Many young pre-1st graders are willing to move in other sports. If there was a plan to watch and recruit at an early enougn age we could get some very good Aussies. Some would inevitably go back home but some would probably end up liking things and staying. But you have to have a sound development plan not just a good team of scouts. Are we that club??

3. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

At the moment yeah nah

4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

When it joined the Winfield Cup Auckland rugby league was very strong.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

You're probably right but as someone in welly who loves the city, I'll keep dreaming :D

I know western suburbs has a strong grassroots league, how well that translates to something like NRL team support, who knows.

Best chance for it and the Nix survival would be if they built a smaller stadium for the club's. A 12-15k stadium would help both financially and for game day experience for fans.

But it would need to be brought on by an investor willing to lose money to have a team here.

Chances are slim but I'll keep dreaming as going to Auckland every year is expensive.

6. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Correct even before that it was strong. So WTF has happened since ?. Would it be fair to say its been going down the drain with the exception
    a couple of GF appearances

7. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

Has it or has league and it's athletes come a long way 20 years and the Warriors not as far as other teams?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Probably a combination of that and just average talent with the exception of a few good players who seem to get dragged down to the mediocrity of
    the rest

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

NZ rugby league was strong. The domestic comp was competitive. Also have to remember it was the golden age of Australian league and the game was flush with cash. The popularity of the sport in NZ was at an all time high with the televising of the Winfield Cup. The bid presented by Peter McLeod blew John Quayle away, particularly the amount of financial backing the club had from sponsors and presold memberships. It was a no brainer to allow a NZ team into the comp.

Funnily enough John Quayle only apprehension was that the Auckland team would just become a NZ Kiwis V2.0. I say funny cause it looks like thats the recruiting mindset right now...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Quayle and his mates were definitely worried about NZ Kiwis V2. That is why they sent in Robson as the time bomb to sort that out.
    Good point about the recruiting mindset, except that Adam Blair should have been signed from Whangarei by the Warriors, not Melbourne. That would have saved heaps of money.:D

11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

That is it in a nutshell. They call it culture, but you cannot fly like an eagle when you mix with turkeys. A player, maybe like Ryan Hoffman used to a really professional environment comes here and finds no matter what he does turkeys are turkeys, he either joins them or becomes frustrated and unhappy. Either way he isn't what he was.

12. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Coming from someone who has never lived in either city but has spent a bit of time in both- I'd much prefer to live in Wellington than Auckland tbh.

13. kiwi's 13-6
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2013

kiwi's 13-6 1st Grade Fringe

When i originally posted this thread after reading about 2 potential NRL team bids from Wellington i had just returned from living in Australia 5 years & South Korea for 1 year i had a lot more optimism then... I didn't fully realize NZ had really changed for the worse while i was away! 90 day work trials, work situations were people are totally silent out of fear of losing job, unaffordable houses prices & rental market, health system underfunded, wages raises haven't kept up with expenses. food prices that are insane for products we produce in abundance like meat and milk! Local media that favors one political agenda delivered by Mike Hoskings/Paul Henry/Duncan Garner across radio, print, web, TV! The increase in Homelessness & begging was instantly noticeable after 6 years away.... All this has had an impact on the sport at local level as people work harder & more for less & struggle with rent and food Sports participation & volunteers suffer as a result, local league receives little corporate funding, pokie & lotto funding gets spent dis-proportionally on sport in wealthy areas! NZ Warriors have also been very poor since 2011 which has done a lot of damage to the code. The Kiwi's have been the shining light for the game in that time wining 4 nations even an Anzac test... but now with kidwell in charge of Kiwi's last 2 years havnt been good... just not good times for the game at on any level at the moment...

Anyway rugby league has lost a lot of support as far as i can tell in Wellington region with people either not as interested or now support union. The reality is before any other potential NZ NRL sides, NZ & Wellington needs a local semi pro comp to help rebuild the game & for something for local people to have pride in and aspire to. IF Wellington had a semi pro side in a NZ national comp you could have some level of semi professional game in the city to attract and retain players currently there is nothing but amateur local comp that gets weaker every year! The easiest way to set up a semi pro NZ comp would be to enter provincial rep sides Wellington, Canterbury, Waikato... maybe even Southland! in Auckland's Fox Memorial Club comp going up against the top cashed up Auckland club sides....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List