Team List 2015 Round 1 - Warriors v Newcastle Knights

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Onewarrior, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onewarrior
    Join:
    Jul 10, 2013

Onewarrior 1st Grade Fringe

The team is out, straight from the website.

TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT | v Knights
    Richard Becht
    Tue 3rd March, 05:10PM
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Five players are in line to make their Vodafone Warriors debuts in Saturday’s NRL season-opening clash against the Newcastle Knights at Hunter Stadium (4.30pm kick-off local time; 6.30pm NZT).

Head coach Andrew McFadden has named experienced recruits Bodene Thompson and Ryan Hoffman to start in the second row in their first appearances for their new club with captain Simon Mannering moving to loose forward.

Solomone Kata has been confirmed to make his NRL debut in the centres playing on the left edge alongside the club’s try-scoring record holder Manu Vatuvei, who is heading into his 12th campaign in the Vodafone Warriors’ 20th anniversary season.

Named on an extended bench are young props Sam Lisone and Albert Vete who, like Kata, are products of the club’s NYC system; Kata and Lisone were both in the premiership-winning Vodafone Junior Warriors side last year.

If all five players make the final side, they’ll take the club’s number of NRL players up to 197 since the Auckland Warriors made their debut appearance on March 10, 1995.

“Ryan and Bodene have made a huge impact since joining us early in the New Year,” said McFadden.

“They bring so much to the squad in terms of not just their ability but their attitude and work ethic. They certainly have all the qualities we want to see across the board in our club.

“Solomone, Sam and Albert have also made a big impression with their work in the offseason and their efforts in the trials. They’ve really earned their selection.”

Returning to the side after three NRL appearances last year is Tuimoala Lolohea, who has been named on the right wing teaming up with explosive centre Konrad Hurrell. Lolohea was also in the club’s grand final-winning NYC side last year.

Veteran utility Thomas Leuluai will start at hooker with Nathan Friend on the bench. The 34-year-old Friend is only three games away from his 200th career appearance.

The Newcastle clash is the first of back-to-back away games for the Vodafone Warriors to kick off their 21st campaign. On Sunday week they’re in Canberra to take on the Raiders before having consecutive home games at Mount Smart Stadium against Parramatta (5.00pm, March 21) and Brisbane (2.00pm, March 28).

“It’s a tough start to the season but for us it’s all about preparing well and being in a position to produce the level of performance we expect of ourselves,” said McFadden.

“The players are getting restless, as they always do at this time of the year. They just want to get out there and play. They’ve worked hard, really hard, the trials are over and now it’s time to put everything we’re striving for to the test.”

While Friend is nearing a major milestone so too are Hoffman and Vatuvei. Hoffman is five games short of his 250th NRL appearance while Vatuvei is six away from becoming only the third player to appear in 200 NRL matches for the Vodafone Warriors.

After winning only two of their first 14 clashes against the Knights, the Vodafone Warriors have experienced a greater level of success since winning 13 of the last 18 encounters between the two sides.

The last one at Hunter Stadium ended disappointingly, though, when they lost 22-28 last year, a result that seriously dented their top eight plans. The overall record in 32 games shows the Vodafone Warriors winning 15 times with one draw and 16 losses.

Vodafone Warriors v NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
    Hunter Stadium, Newcastle

4.30pm, Saturday, March 07

Vodafone Warriors

1 Sam Tomkins
    2 Tuimoala Lolohea
    3 Konrad Hurrell
    4 Solomone Kata
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Chad Townsend
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Jacob Lillyman
    9 Thomas Leuluai
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Bodene Thompson
    12 Ryan Hoffman
    13 Simon Mannering (c)

14 Nathan Friend
    15 Ben Henry
    16 Sam Lisone
    17 Albert Vete

18 Suaia Matagi

HEAD COACH: Andrew McFadden

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

1 Kurt Gidley (c)
    2 James McManus
    3 Dane Gagai
    4 Joseph Leilua
    5 Akuila Uate
    6 Jarrod Mullen
    7 Tyrone Roberts
    8 Kade Snowden
    9 Adam Clydsdale
    10 Korbin Sims
    11 Beau Scott
    12 Robbie Rochow
    13 Jeremy Smith

14 Tyler Randell
    15 Chris Houston
    16 David Fa'alogo
    17 Jack Stockwell

18 Sione Mata'utia

Coach: Rick Stone

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

2. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

So hope Pomkins plays. If Lisone and Vete stand up and take there chance it looks like a very good team. TL gets the nod at hooker so time to deliver Shoulders!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  3. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Anyone know why Vete might be ahead of the pecking order of Matagi? Thought Matagi had a fairly decent 9s campaign despite having a lucklustre 2014 campaign.

Excited for Kata! Hopefully he has a great game and continues his fantastic development. Likewise for Lolohea and Lisone.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Onewarrior
    Join:
    Jul 10, 2013

Onewarrior 1st Grade Fringe

Cappy has said he wasn't happy with Matagi's work in the preseason.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Canadian_WarriorFan
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2013

Canadian_WarriorFan Warriors Bench Player

Didn't have the best pre-season apparently according to Cappy. Vete and Lisone much stronger.

• List
  6. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

i really like that team, im guessing Vete/Lisone will be straight swaps for mutts/Lillyman. really hoping they arent on at the same time though..... really love that backline as well

7. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Referees: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view., Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.; Sideline Officials: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view., Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.; Video Referees: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view., Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.;

8. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

So I feel like I've won the jumper?!?:bookworm:

9. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

No, not so, and actually not really that close :(, congrats to the young propping pair, Rapira with more to do than I thought.

10. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Vete brings size, Lisone brings skills and aggression. I like that team, I hope those two in particular can get up to speed and use those attributes in first grade asap.

I can't fault McFadden at all with that team selection, its perfect.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    • List
  11. Magic Stick
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Magic Stick 1st Grade Fringe

Love seeing Lisone and Vete on the bench...they will do the job too, Cya Matagi and Rapira Super League is calling your names

Our pack has to demo the Knights pack, if the Knights can gain parity and they play that ball they played late last season, we could be in for a tough time

Hopefully Tomkins is sweet to go

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  12. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

I like the team, I just thought we wouldn't see it until later in the season. Interesting game ahead.

• List
  13. Pandorica
    Join:
    Oct 22, 2014

Pandorica NSW Cup Player

Definitely a few surprises, a lot younger/inexperienced team than I was expecting, but there is a lot of talent and enthusiasm I'm sure. Can't wait to see how they go!

14. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

I'm happy with that side. In fact I can't think of any changes I'd make given out injury status.

The biggest talking point is the inclusion of Vete and Lisone over Matagi and Rapira. Very happy Cappy has gone that way. Those guys at big enough to handle the physicality of first grade and Vete in particular has NSW Cup experience. Now what I want to see is them come out and play hard but smart football. Not interested in 4 runs all game and a couple of 50/50 offloads. Hard and straight, good effort on D and I'll be happy.

• List
  15. Fenderboy
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Fenderboy 1st Grade Fringe

cant really fault that selection. Strongest and importantly fittest first up team for some years.

• List
  16. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

If thats the side that runs out on the weekend then McFadden is showing he's rookie coach making rookie errors.

That side is far too inexperienced...we saw with Bluey what happens when a coach has to rely on too many youngsters, difference was, Bluey didn't have a lot of choice where McFadden does.

It's tempting to play young talent because they have just that, talent, but it's raw, inconsistent and bound to fail under NRL pressure.

Either way, so fucking happy the leagues back.

• List
  17. KPWarrior
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

KPWarrior 1st Grade Fringe

Thank fk we have a good record against the Knights! Lucky we're not playing the Eels!

18. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Who would you have in place of Lisone, Vete, Kata and Loloheia?

• List
  19. willemse
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2014

willemse Warriors Bench Player

Or it is because we have a lot of injuries at the moment and a few ill discipline players who won't put their hand up when given the chance. He may also trust his training regime in place that anyone at the club is ready for first grade. We will see come Saturday eh

20. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Based on what I saw at the Warriors Papakura trial I think Albert Vete will surprise a few. He was bring the ball up strong and hard. Leg pumping like crazy as well. Of the two, Sam Lisone and Albert Vete, I think he'll adjust the best and so he should. He's had a whole year of Reserve Grade to develop.

Not sure how I feel about both being on the bench. Will they both come on same time or will Ben Matulino play big minutes? Going to be interesting to see. One positive is that Simon Mannering will be in the middle to help guide them. That backrow trio's experience is going to be essential in helping these guys on debut. Not just the young props but the whole outside edge. God help us if Sam Tomkins doesnt make the last medical and we up with Matthew Allwood out there. Manu Vatuvei would have played more games than the other 4 outside backs combined. Scary thought...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.