Team List 2015 Round 4 - Warriors vs Broncos

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Miket12, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Allwood's club debut

Tue 24th March, 04:37PM

Tuimoala Lolohea moves to fullback and Matt Allwood comes into the centres for the Vodafone Warriors’ 20th anniversary match against the Brisbane Broncos at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday (2.00pm kick-off; match day sponsor: Vodafone).

With first-choice fullback Sam Tomkins sidelined for four to six weeks with a knee injury, the 20-year-old Lolohea with have his second start in the position in four games this season.

He filled the role when Tomkins was out with a hamstring injury against Newcastle – excelling with 213 metres and 10 tackle breaks – and he also played the last 29 minutes against the Eels at fullback after Tomkins left the field.

Allwood will become Vodafone Warrior No 199 and the seventh player to make his debut for the club this season after Solomone Kata, Ryan Hoffman, Bodene Thompson, Sam Lisone, Albert Vete and Jonathan Wright.

The 22-year-old Allwood signed with the Vodafone Warriors after 11 NRL appearances for the Canberra Raiders last season. So far this year he has played twice for the club’s New South Wales Cup side – at centre and fullback – as well as being the NRL team’s 18th man twice.

“Tui has a big opportunity at fullback with Sam out for a month or so,” said assistant coach Tony Iro.

“He was outstanding there when we played Newcastle and had more experience when Sam went off last week. We all know the ability he has and have real confidence in him being able to handle himself.

“Matt gives us NRL experience and is well versed in what we do. He has trained in the centres throughout the offseason as well as playing in trials.”

The rest of the side remains unchanged with the same starting pack being named for the third straight week.

The match marks the 20th anniversary of the Vodafone Warriors’ debut appearance against the Broncos on March 10, 1995, a game Brisbane won 25-22.

The Broncos have been their most regular opponents, this being the 36th clash with Brisbane winning 20 of them and the Vodafone Warriors 15. At Mount Smart Stadium the Vodafone Warriors have a 10-7 edge in 17 meetings.

The Vodafone Warriors have won the last four encounters at Mount Smart and six of the last seven but this time they face a Brisbane side reunited with foundation coach Wayne Bennett who was at the helm when the two clubs first met in 1995.

After twin individual milestones for Nathan Friend (200th game) and Ben Henry (50th game) last weekend, there are no major marks in the offing on Sunday although wing Manu Vatuvei is edging towards the record for most tries in the NRL by a New Zealand player. His try against the Eels was his 137th leaving him three short of Nigel Vagana’s 140 tries.

It will be Vatuvei’s 198th game as he eyes becoming only the third player to appear in 200 games for the Vodafone Warriors, a mark he is set to achieve against Wests Tigers at home on April 11.

Hoffman plays his 249th match on Sunday as he looks towards bringing up his 250th against his old Melbourne side on April 6.

Vodafone Warriors v BRISBANE BRONCOS
    Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
    2.00pm, Sunday, March 29

Referees: Matt Cecchin and Grant Atkins

Vodafone Warriors
    1 Tuimoala Lolohea
    2 Jonathan Wright
    3 Matt Allwood
    4 Solomone Kata
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Chad Townsend
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Jacob Lillyman
    9 Thomas Leuluai
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Bodene Thompson
    12 Ryan Hoffman
    13 Simon Mannering (c)

Interchange:
    14 Nathan Friend
    15 Ben Henry
    16 Sam Lisone
    17 Albert Vete

18 Dominique Peyroux

HEAD COACH: Andrew McFadden

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Broncos
    1 Jordan Kahu
    2 Corey Oates
    3 Jack Reed
    4 Justin Hodges (c)
    5 Lachlan Maranta
    6 Anthony Milford
    7 Ben Hunt
    8 Josh McGuire
    9 Andrew McCullough
    10 Adam Blair
    11 Alex Glenn
    12 Matt Gillett
    13 Corey Parker

Interchange
    14 Jarrod Wallace
    15 Jo Ofahengaue
    16 Sam Thaiday
    17 Kodi Nikorima
    18 Todd Lowrie

Coach: Wayne Bennett

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

2. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

Ummm isn't it round 4 bro?

3. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Chemo brain by association is what my wife calls it!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

Yeehaa!!!

I would have loved to see Dom at centre, but this team list is identical to my comp team, so again - Yeehaa!!!

Now to put all of these guys in cotton-wool until 2 minutes before kick off, and I will be ecstatic. And no funny business, Cappy!

• List
  5. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Gees we have some real issues in our backline at the moment don't we. 6-17 looks almost perfect.

6. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

Disagree - i wouldnt have Benry in the side atm and i would have included Manu in the looks almost perfect so 5-17 excluding 15.

7. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

yes my bad, 5-17 looks almost perfect. Almost.

8. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

My preference is Dom over Allwood, especially after last week.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List

9. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

I also agree re dom, however obviously there is something i dont know about because whenever i have seen him play in Warriors colours hes killed it, but always gets looked at as a last option only.

• List
  10. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Not a biggie for me.

Liking the team. I have to say I was keen to see Lolo keep playing center. But it's just as good to see him at Fb. Eventually we'll know where he best fits in.

A bit worried about Allwood/Wright. Could be a weakness.

• List
  11. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

I assume he is considered a little small to be an effective 2nd rower, so Benry's "utility" value has always earned him first call up to the bench, and any other centre we look at tends to have (or at least have a reputation for) more attack.

Wasn't there a rumour that Dom has been told to shop himself around the NRL? I guess that makes him last cab off the rank for team selections.

12. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Bit disappointed DP hasn't been given the nod. Never had a bad game for us. That aside, it's a pretty decent team. Would like to see Havili given a shot at some point. No point carrying Friend on the bench and TL is playing pretty well at 9.

13. Edifier
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Edifier U20's Player

Yes, agree with DP. He had a lively game on the weekend, other than a missed tackle in the corner. He certainly looked better than Allwood.

• List
  14. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Agree with Havili comment. But I think from management's point of view they've extended Friend's contract and want to get some work out of him. 2 experienced hookers is a bonus for any team. But at some stage they need to blood Havili. I say before midseason.

Dom Peyroux I'm not sure why some formers give him almost cult status. I don't see him as adding value to the team. He's a journeyman. That's my opinion.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  15. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Not really fussed on Henry being on the bench. I don't think it hurts us and not sure who we'd put there instead at the moment.

It is what it is, still hopeful Konnie makes a miraculous come back in time for the game.

16. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Due to the amount of injuries to our outside backs there probably wasn't much choice for centre with Lolohea needing to cover for Tomkins injury. Good to see our only changes so far have been due to injury not due to form.

The players we have debuted the last year or two haven't gone too bad hopefully Allwood takes this opportunity. A bit nervous as I can see our right hand side having the wobbles similar to 2012 and 2013 or more recent the last 40 minutes from the weekend.:depressed:

• List
  17. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

ramraider78 1st Grade Fringe

I'm just worried about FB more then centre - I'm not sold on Lolohea at the back TBH.

• List
  18. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

If our pack dominate and limit the Broncos opportunities then fullback will be a lot easier for him.

• List
  19. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

I'm not sure people give him cult status, its just they rightly give him credit for never having had a bad game for us when given an opportunity. I'd say you're probably right in that he is a journeyman, but when he's come in before he's done a job. He's probably not going to break a game open, but then again, a lot of players fall under that category.

• List
  20. charlie bobmarley
    Join:
    May 16, 2012

charlie bobmarley 1st Grade Fringe

looking forward to see what Allwood can do in Warrior FG.
    we all know that Beyroux is all honest toil but maybe we can do better, otherwise whats the point in signing him

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.