General Discussion 2016 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Oct 26, 2015.

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

2016 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Some of the team will be back training tomorrow so this thread for for all updates, pic, stories and news about the 2016 Warriors Offseason and Preseason. Was told most will be the younger NSW Cup players. Most U20 players will start next week because they played a week longer during the finals. All players bar those involved with the Kiwis tour of the UK should be back training on 10th November.

As usual all skin fold tests and weights were taken before the teams disbanded. They all know what targets they have to hit. Most would need to lose weight and slowly regain it to their ideal playing weight.

Some players think that Camp Hell wont be happening again. Took too much out of them. Not sure if this is official or not.

So anyway. Here we go again guys. Cant wait for the 'this has been the hardest preseason ever, the team have never been fitter' type articles...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List

2. Dixpat
    Join:
    Feb 3, 2014

Dixpat 1st Grade Fringe

My son lives at Bethells Beach

On Saturday morning he posted on Facebook

"Just saw Manu Vatuvei, Konrad Hurrell and the rest of the Warriors walk past our back gate...gotta love Bethells!"

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Funny idea that camp hell took too much out of the players, that's the whole idea.
    SAS training is meant to take too much out of you....so you know where the zone to go beyond is......onward.

First reaction to hearing that is it Irks me....so they got thrashed by a hard nut..... Its not like they have to go take on ISIS afterward.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  4. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah but the thing is, if they're too sore to actually do anything for a week after camp hell, it defeats the purpose. We didn't exactly start the season like a house on fire either. Two wins and three losses isn't exactly inspiring. If we'd gone 4-1, I'd be more worried about them potentially not doing camp hell.

I think the pre season is more about our new players creating a bit of a culture change, rather than embracing army tactics. According to the media, SBW managed to change a lot of the Roosters prep just by walking in there and acting like a professional. Hopefully the combined efforts of RTS, Luke and Robson will compliment guys we already have that are doing the right thing and we have a flow on effect.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  5. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

They were pretty rubbish before trying camp hell too....its more a mental exercise than a get fit experience.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  6. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

Judging by the amount of knee injuries we suffered this season, maybe scrapping camp hell isn't a bad thing.

Not saying that weak ligaments was a direct fault of camp hell, but going off the fact that our boys hadn't endured a regime as rigorous as camp hell in recent times, maybe their bodies weren't used to it. Then again, that's the root of all evil for our team - having things too easy. Perhaps re-jigging camp hell would be the way to go.

Or maybe that's all apart of the "mental excercise" - trick them into thinking its cancelled, pack them onto a bus and send them to hells gate (much like they did last year).

Regardless, based on all these instagram posts, its seems the boys are taking it upon themselves to train hard over the off season. Its refreshing seeing Koni post pics/vids in the gym, or attacking the dunes at Bethells, as opposed to the rubbish we're usually served. We always say 'this was the off season of all offseasons', but there's certainly a different, genuine feel for how all is going so far. Add in our recent acquisitions and, straight up I'm getting excited.

7. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Heaps of these so called new training techniques, training camps, sand dunes running, wrestling, high altitude flash gym bla bla, for what? big muscles but no brains on the field, lethargic and unfit players?! not worth it just looks like a whole bunch of work for fark all return.

Get these fellas on the rubbish trucks or working on construction sites for a few weeks make them realize their in a privileged position so don't take it for granted

These guys are more athlete less footy player now days, not much off the cuff natural ability more structured robots, pretty tooth clenching stuff.

I'd like to see more emphasis placed on basic skills, no good having all the flash shit behind the scenes if you can't get the most simple things right where it matters.

Simple catch and pass skills
    Draw and pass
    Double rounds
    Ball control in confrontation
    Chip & chase, grubbers

It should be second nature to most of these guys but it's not... attention to detail of the fundamentals seem to be lacking and that's strange for a professional outfit.

I couldn't care less if skills sessions got sickening and repetitive all the best teams concentrate on the smallest details get that right and we might get somewhere.

Basic skills and fitness is all I'm interested in.. As for all the other training rubbish pffft whatever.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Ivan Cleary used to look skywards at all the skill training Daniel Anderson got them to do, did he get results or what?

9. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  10. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

Hmmmm what do I notice on the left hand side? A finger? Hmmmm what was that about social media training

• List
  11. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

We can only fix one at a time...... The wannabe gansta can be next....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  12. Socrates
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2015

Socrates U20's Player

• List
  13. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

I've never understood the whole giving the finger to the camera thing. Never seen a person look anything other than a fool doing it.

Having said that as long as they work their asses off it's not a big deal, just foolish.

• List
  14. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

fuck konnies gonna be a raging bull out of hell come game 1
    i hope we play the raiders as a season opener.
    and jarrod crocker should be sent every one of 'konnie in training' pics leading up to the season lmao.

• List
  15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Thats the theory behind dropping it. It actually stalls their training by a week. When you have a player blacking out and taking two weeks to recover fully it doesnt take a rocket surgeon to realise that its not the best thing for professional athletes. Might help harden professional soldiers but were not talking about that.

Mental fortitude is something I believe you are born with anyway. You either have it or you dont. Instead of trying to train it into to players the club should just recruit those that already have it...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  16. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

rocket surgeon
    I like that.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  17. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The first grade squads camp hell would of been a lot harder than the 20s version. The 20s used the hard times from theirs as motivation to win a premiership so the concept to do something similar for the first grade side was worth looking into but if the players are useless to the training staff afterwards then I can see why they want to skip it this year.

Wasn't it scheduled last year close to the Christmas break so they were buggered during their time off? I could be wrong but I recall that theory going around the scheduling of it.

A lot of clubs will be doing something similar over the off season. I've seen reports of Bennett getting Broncos sides doing overnight treks or sessions where they get dropped somewhere to spend the night. Something like that could be useful. Not short and intense but gets them working as a team.

The training staff need to figure out how they make the best use of the time they have over the pre-season. If the guys are useless for a week afterwards it pretty much disrupts their plans. I remember a quote from one of Cleary's staff that they got the best results from our guys when they had a lot of miles in their legs over the off season. They were here for a few years so they had a few years to work out what works. At least it shows the current staff are prepared to say they feel something didn't work as intended and are prepared to move on.

18. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The military training is something I am a fan of.

It's a matter of what gets the best results for the team. It could also be something they ditch for the year to revisit another time.

One thing I like to look at is the training actors do to prepar for specific roles. Guys like Daniel Craig for James Bond or Hugh Jackman getting ready to play Wolverine. I was looking today and what the guys had to do for the show StrikeBack as they need to come across as elite special forces. For one of the seasons the two guys need to run to their military training everyday remembering street names and various things. When they got there they'd get quizzed on the number plate of a specific car that passed them.

Some small test like that before they start whatever training they plan on doing for the day could work well. They need to think under fatigue by counting numbers in defence, make defensive reads etc.

• List
  19. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

ramraider78 1st Grade Fringe

I'm not suprised that they might be dropping camp hell, after last year's incident with a 20's player collapsing and needing medical help, club was quick to hush it up.

20. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

That's going on the list along with "doing a matai", and "coffeebook tackle"....

• List