General Discussion 2016 Warriors Player Awards

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Albert Vete

2. Ben Henry

3. Ben Matulino

4. Blake Ayshford

5. Bodene Thompson

6. Bunty Afoa

7. Charlie Gubb

8. David Fusitua

9. Issac Luke

10. Jacob Lillyman

11. James Gavet

12. Jazz Tevega

13. John Palavi

14. Jonathan Wright

15. Ken Maumalo

16. Ligi Sao

17. Manu Vatuvei

18. Matt Allwood

19. Nathaniel Roache

20. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

21. Ryan Hoffman

22. Sam Lisone

23. Shaun Johnson

24. Shaun Lane

25. Sione Luusi

26. Simon Mannering

27. Solomone Kata

28. Thomas Leuluai

29. Toafofoa Sipley

30. Tuimoala Lolohea

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

2016 Warriors Player Awards

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Thread for the end of year player awards. Right now you have an opportunity to vote for the Vodafone fan favourite. By voting you can also win a chance to attend the awards night...

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

2. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl Warriors Bench Player

Going on sheer response and reaction from the crowd when he gets up off the bench or takes the field, fan favourite would have to be Gubbcity no?

3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

SJ one voteo_O...WTF???

4. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Don't worry I've doubled it to 2. Just waiting for Team Blake to turn up and start voting for him!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Easily Bodene Thompson for me but his years been tainted by his tainted energy drinks...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  6. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Not sure how much Bodene's on however whatever it is I bet it's a bargain. There wouldn't be many 2nd rowers I'd swap him for.

• List
  7. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

He has looked good but has only played 13 games- missed half the season.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Mannering again... No one else comes close to his consistency.

• List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I am only allowed one vote:(

10. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

And u gave it to Ayshford I see:D

Nah ill take my hat off to your choice (SJ) considering he was coming back from a broken leg and has been carrying other injuries all year too it's been a gutsy performance from him- he's shown a lot of character this year and even won some games single handed (as he does).
    I think he has established himself as our next captain.
    He would've been my second choice.
    Should be in for a bumper 2017.

• List
  11. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

NRL: Simon Mannering named Warriors Player of the Year

Simon Mannering has been named the Warriors' NRL Player of the Year a record fifth time in his 12-season career at the Warriors annual awards dinner in Auckland tonight.

The 30-year-old is the only player in the club's history to win the premier award more than twice, Steve Price earning the accolade in 2006 and 2007 and Ben Matulino honoured in 2012 and 2015.

The other finalists tonight were halfback Shaun Johnson, departing standoff Thomas Leuluai and second rower Bodene Thompson.

Mannering was first singled out early in his career in 2008 before earning the acknowledgement again in 2011, 2013 and 2014.

On a big night personally he was also named the winner of the Canterbury of New Zealand Clubman of the Year Award in recognition of his all-round contribution to the club.

On the field Mannering played in 22 of the 24 games, finishing with five tries to lift his career tally to 58, fourth on the club's all-time list. He averaged 77 minutes on the field making an average 11.2 runs, 89.95 metres and 47.36 tackles a game. It's the second straight season he has topped 1000 tackles.

The award topped a campaign in which Mannering became only the second player after Stacey Jones to play 250 NRL games for the club. He finished the year on 258 matches and needs just four more games next season to move beyond Jones' record of 261.

While Mannering collected two of the main NRL awards, the NRL Rookie of the Year was between Nathaniel Roache and Jazz Tevaga, the only two players who qualified in terms of games played this year. They both made 11 appearances each with Roache - 19 at the time of his debut in round one - getting the nod.

Johnson, the only player to appear in all 24 games, was again voted the winner of the People's Choice Award after a season in which he scored 10 tries and 125 points in all to lift his career total to 667, only eight short of beating another Jones record (674).

The finalists for the ISP Player of the Year were Ata Hingano, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and John Palavi. First-year Vodafone Warrior Nicoll-Klokstad was the winner after a season in which he was the only player to appear in each of the side's 24 games. Used at fullback, on the wing, in the centres and also standoff initially he was the team's top try-scorer with 11.

RadioSport commentator Allen McLaughlin was a popular recipient of the Legacy Award. The 66-year-old 'voice of rugby league' called his last Warriors game at Mount Smart Stadium on September 4 after covering all but one of the club's 254 games at the venue since 1995.

Warriors 2016 Award Winners

Sir Peter Leitch Member of the Year: Emma Harper
    Legacy Award: Allen McLaughlin
    People's Choice Award: Shaun Johnson
    NYC Rookie of the Year: Chanel Harris-Tavita
    ISP Team Man of the Year: James Bell
    NRL Rookie of the Year: Nathaniel Roache
    Club Person of the Year: Susan Turner
    Canterbury of NZ Club Person of the Year: Simon Mannering
    NYC Player of the Year: Chris Sio
    ISP Player of the Year: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
    NRL Player of the Year: Simon Mannering

- Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  12. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

Thoroughly well deserved Simon, the very definition of a Warrior. If the rest of them had his desire and work ethic we would be world beaters.

IMO a contender for greatest ever Warrior.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 11
    • List
  13. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Jordan G Warriors 1st Grader

Hahaha the metallic kitten is going to have a tantrum over this for sure.

Nice to see CKN get ISP player. Hopefully he'll be pushing for first grade next year.

• List
  14. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

I second third & fourth that ... Simon Mannering is the epitome of the ultimate NZ professional sportsperson, right up there alongside Ritchie McCaw IMO

As an aside I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall at that award ceremony just to see the mood of the players, but most especially one Mr A. McFadden

• List
  15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Who was the muppet that said Simon Mannering should be playing NSW Cup lol?

This was only ever going to be a race between Tommy and Juju. Without a doubt he will be hailed the greatest Warrior ever once he hangs his boots up...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  16. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

As much as Simon deserves it (and ironically we don't deserve him), I really really wish we had more reasons for him to not get the award... as I said in the other thread, it's sad how often he's won by default. Still, man are we lucky to have him, here's hoping he never has to win the award again!

Awesome to see Charnze get NSW Cup player of the year, he's surely got to be figuring into FG contention now.

• List
  17. MeetTheMonster
    Join:
    Mar 2, 2016

MeetTheMonster Warriors Bench Player

Depressing, thought Simon was bog average this season he clearly wins it by default. Not sure if he would be starting at any other NRL club other than Newcastle Knights. Warriors are so disappointing.

18. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

Lol - meethtemomster, the Warriors are the ones who play in black. Mannering is number 13. I can only imagine this has greatly confused you.

Insideball, I see what you're saying. He isn't the most athletic of talented player. He's not a strike player. But good years or bad years, Mannering is constantly outstanding. Without him I shudder to think how bad we would be.

• List
  19. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

My point is, I wish we had 10+ players who were consistently outstanding... or even, you know, more than 1, pushing Simon for that award.

• List
  20. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

Mannering is the epitome of the word warrior, but I think we are playing him out of position. He will be first choice 11 for the kiwis but wouldn't be in my top 3 or 4 locks for them. You know the warriors have had a rubbish year when the player of the year gets the award because he has made the most tackles.