General Discussion 2017 Warriors End of Year Report Card

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Sep 3, 2017.

1. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 U20's Player

Its the closest its felt to the 2000 season with the uncertainty around future ownership combined with terrible on-field results. l will always rate 2000 as my lowest as the NRL were losing patience with the ownership debacle and came so close to revoking their license. I honestly didn't think I was going to be watching them take the field in 2001. At least its not quite like that this time around and we saw that Watson will not just offload the club to any bidder. I'm holding my breath on this weeks signings to at least provide some positivity for next year and who knows, they may rebuild like they did in 2001, though that did involve a new coach that seriously waved the axe.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

2. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Warriors 2017 season review
    Mon 04 Sep, 2017, 1:00pm
    By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    EMAIL
    PRINT

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    The Warriors endured another season to forget. Credit: Shane Wenzlick. Copyright: NRL Photos.
    The record remains on repeat at Mount Smart Stadium, and the tune isn't getting any easier to tolerate.

For the sixth straight year the Warriors missed the NRL Telstra Premiership play-offs, for the fifth time in six years they lost four or more of their final six games, and at the end of it all 2017 will go down as one of the club's worst seasons in their history.

Under a new coach in Stephen Kearney, and with Kieran Foran joining Kiwi international teammates Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Shaun Johnson and Issac Luke, expectations were high in Auckland. Ultimately their forward pack's inability to consistently win the battle in the middle of the park meant the stellar spine had scant opportunity to fire.

Arguably their best performance of the year came against an Origin-depleted Brisbane Broncos in Round 12, and the fact that the Warriors' longest winning streak was just two games will show that this side never really got going this year.

Where they excelled: Implementing a strategy of completion-based football. Contrary to the lingering stereotypes, this Warriors team had no hint of free flowing or ad-lib football about them. They completed sets better than any other side in the NRL this season, at an average rate of 79.7 per cent, and made the second-fewest errors with an average of 9.4 per game. Under Kearney they also showed improved mental strength in games where they were being well beaten. In the past the Warriors would have been blown off the park, but that wasn't the case in 2017 with their biggest losing margin being 20.

Where they struggled: Scoring points and stopping them being scored against them. It sounds simple enough, yet the Warriors fell badly short in that area. The Kiwi side had the competition's third-worst attack, mustering a measly 18.5 points per game on average, and had 10 games where they scored 14 or less. On the other side they leaked 24 per game on average to sit ahead of only the Newcastle Knights and Gold Coast Titans in terms of the competition's worst defensive outfits.

Missing in action: A ruptured PCL for Johnson was the team's major injury with the star No.7 missing six of the final seven games of the season, with his team losing all of them and failing to score more than three tries in a single game which he didn't play. Foran also spent seven games on the sideline. Outside of the halves the big losses came in the forwards. Both James Gavet and Albert Vete suffered broken arms which meant neither of them played beyond Round 20. Experienced back-rower Bodene Thompson also had his season ended by a torn pec in Round 21.

Turning point: The 62nd minute of their Round 19 clash against the Penrith Panthers. That's the moment Johnson went down injured and all realistic hope was lost for the Kiwi side. While things hadn't exactly gone to plan up until that point – with the Warriors having won only seven of 17 at the time – the loss of their best attacking player was always going to be too hard to overcome.

Hold your head high: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Coming off a torn ACL which meant he played hardly any football last season, and given the extra responsibility of the captaincy, 'RTS' stood up big time. While he was still a long way off the best form of his career, with 10 tries, 16 line breaks and an average of 181 metres per game he was arguably the Warriors' best this year. Veteran lock Simon Mannering was fantastic as usual, finishing second in the NRL for most tackles made.

2018 crystal ball: Much of it will depend on who they can add to their roster between now and Round 1 in 2018. The Warriors are in dire need of quality props and an impact back-rower, and if they don't get that then there is little reason to think next year will be any better. Some of the younger players in the squad should improve, and another pre-season under Kearney will be helpful, but whether that equates to a better finish is anyone's guess.

Conclusion: Some of the expectations placed on this team at the start of the season were totally unrealistic, but whatever way you look at it they badly underachieved in 2017. Once again they lacked the consistency required to be competitive across 26 rounds and their late-season collapse reeked of a soft mentality. The fans won't like hearing it, but the club looks set to go through a re-building stage which may mean success sits on the backburner for a little while longer.

SEASON STATISTICS
    Wins: 7
    Losses: 17
    Position: 13th
    Home Record: 6-6
    Away Record: 1-10
    Longest Winning Streak: 2 (Round 5-6, 14, 16)
    Longest Losing Streak: 9 (Round 17, 19-26)
    Players Used: 30
    Tries Scored: 78
    Tries Conceded: 98

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Salatape
    Join:
    Jul 19, 2016

Salatape 1st Grade Fringe

How many of those tries were conceded in the 2nd half? How many 2nd half leads have we blown this year? Looking back at the season overall I'd say that has been the biggest issue and comes down to 2 things for me. Firstly we aren't physically fit enough and secondly we lack the concentration/mentality to stay in it for the full 80 minutes.

In theory the fitness problem should be quite easy to achieve but it's obvious that whoever's in charge at the club has no idea what they are doing. We are easily one of the most unfit sides in the competition and it needs to change ASAP...like tomorrow. Current staff need to be thrown out and replaced by people who know what they're doing. It would also help if Kearney learns to use his bench properly.

As far as mentality goes it's probably the hardest thing to instill at any club in any sport. Having your players concentrate for the entire length of the game. You would think that after spending time at both the Broncos and the Storm that Kearney would have some idea as to what needs to be done but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• List
  4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Mentality cannot always be coached, but it can be selected.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Eric Watson wants $20million for this rabble.....someone tell em he's dreamin!!

6. Raurimu Massive
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

Raurimu Massive 1st Grade Fringe

Ha, I reckon 2020 will be our year bro, just stick with the process!!

7. HornbyBrown
    Join:
    Jul 1, 2012

HornbyBrown 1st Grade Fringe

I was 15 in 1995 and a big fan from day one so I feel qualified to say that this was the worst season ever.

There have been seasons were we finished lower on the table but two things make this worse.

One I have never felt like we had a more gutless team

Two. We definitely have never had a more boring team than this one. Even in some of the previous bad seasons the team has always been fun to watch because of the style of play. But this team was so tough to watch it really hurt

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Have you forgotten Denis Betts?:rolleyes:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

9. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

There is no excuse for Kata. It would have been really easy to have Ayshford and CNK on one side, and Fus at centre beside Ken. OK, thats not ideal as Fus is a natural winger and Ken isnt that natural, but its a step up on Kata. Alternatively, Ken and Fus could switch.

• List
  10. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

11. Khaboom
    Join:
    Apr 22, 2016

Khaboom Warriors Bench Player

They've set the bar high this year. It's a mark we'll remember. 2017 vintage is special. That 9 game losing streak says all anyone needs to know. And it was earned.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I think the high completion rates and low error rates are the foundation for any champion team... Without that don't bother dreaming about a grand final victory... So on this one aspect alone the Warriors get an A+

Defense was shocking on our left edge. It's the worst I've ever seen in any sport at this level, ever. Imagine a cricket player who drops every awkward catch that comes his way, or a table tennis player who gets beaten with every single slam. That's how bad it was.

But we've been hampered with this problem for many years now, high errors, low completions and shocking edge defense.

By forcing the players to play boring, grinding footy on attack, this season has shown up the players who are unable to play a tight grinding game of footy on defense big time.

Kearney stuck with our best combination on paper for the entire season. He backed his process no matter how much pressure came on him. I respect him for that on one level. And I agree that with better players his process would have got better results.

Imagine a game where the Warriors play tight grinding footy, giving nothing away for the first 50 minutes, and then when the opposition start tiring, we open up and attack them with everything we've got. Then remember the Warriors leaking soft try after soft try, killing off any chance of holding the emotional advantage.

This is what Kearney is showing the team. If you can't win the grind, you can't win the comp. Bellamy and Bennett know this, and that's why they are where they are in the history books.

So if this is the beginning of the end of picking players with potential, who can't grind out the basics to save themselves, I'll give this season an A+

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  13. Leaguegod
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2015

Leaguegod 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

review Doyle, Kearney, Cappy & George MUST GO!

• List
  14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Doyle and Kearney are not entitled to IF anymore.

• List
  15. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

I believe the boys are getting commemorative tats to celebrate this massive achievement " 2017 L 9"

16. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

Strategically I think SK is on the right path with concentrating on fundamentals. It is boring but necessary. Guys like Satae and Gavet will be fitter and stronger next year. Plus Afoa, Lillyman and Lisone. The long term is not looking great but only decent recruiting and fundamentals will get us out of the hole. A starting side of RTS, Maumalo, Ayshford, Fusitua, CNK, Hingano, SJ, God, Harris, Pulu, Afoa, Roache, Lillyman, doesn't look that bad, leaving any number of Bench combos.

Tactically week to week has been nuts. Maumalo and Ayshford had developed a good partnership that was solid both sides of the ball, same as Fusitua and CNK the other side. However as soon as Kata was fit he was beside Maumalo which immediately turned to custard.

As a result of that we had Kata not passing, throwing Maumalo under the bus defensively destroying his confidence along the way. That should have been sorted right away.

I believe a lot of the problems were created off field, there has been an ongoing issue with Warriors Management, and note, I am not saying Coaching. SK needs someone a bit apart from the squad to take advice from. That is where Matt Elliot's Director of Football idea comes in. Coaches have to have strong opinions and sometimes can't see the wood for the trees.

What can be agreed is this cannot continue and REAL action needs to be taken in a sensible deliberate way lead by people with a strong history of playing and coaching.

• List
  17. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Problem with CNK from what I've seen is he's a hopeless defender - I don't get why he is talked up so much here. He was found out badly against a reserve grade winger in Faifailoa. Even on attack I don't recall if he's done anything special apart from being on the end of passes (including his first from Kata no less), unlike some of Fusitua's efforts. Kata's been off this year but he had some great defensive efforts last year, shutting down the likes of Jennings and Fergusson. I wonder how much of an influence having Foran on that edge instead of Tommy who was a better defender and probably a better organiser.

• List
  18. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Kata got blitzed by Ferguson last year, falling off tackles and being completely ineffective. He countered this by rushing out of the line and hitting under the rib cage. This is the only tackle he can complete. Any kind of wrestle tackle and he gets shrugged off.

He also can't communicate with his inside players and needs everyone to read the play for him otherwise he's lost ball watching on every single play.

So all the other teams have worked this out and run a decoy to draw him out and then pass into the gap where he's supposed to be. Easiest try in the comp in 2017.

He's got a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to be a fan favourite.

Im giving his 2017 season an L. Fixing that one position alone could have got us into the finals imo. Harsh but true.

• List
  19. Jwoodzy02
    Join:
    Nov 14, 2015

Jwoodzy02 Warriors Bench Player

Fai Fai Loa isn't a reserve grade winger

20. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Sorry you're right, he's now a 3rd division ESL winger :p