Recruitment 2017 Warriors Recruitment Strategy and Targets

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by NZWarriors.com, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

In fairness we aren't exactly a great sell as a club at the moment. Six year playoff drought, Coach with one of the worst nrl records in history, owner looking to sell.

Combine that with hardly a stellar record of developing players or in Luke and Hoffmann cases going backwards dramatically, Iro's job would probably be one of the toughest going around.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

So who are the scouts besides Iro ? and what are there credentials. Don't tell me they're ex Warriors/Kiwis.
    It's no different to coaching because you were a good player doesn't mean your good at identifying talent.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Iro has had the job since Bell got the boot, which I think was about three years ago.

In that time our juniors have gone on to be the wooden spooners and the club is having to pay overs to pensioners. Iro has to be questioned, it is his job after all.

Cameron George's motto is no excuses, but I would like to hear Iro's.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  4. theleagueguy
    Join:
    May 9, 2015

theleagueguy Warriors Bench Player

I'm not sure the 97 or 98 class where as deep as previous classes. Good at the top end with Ata & Erin 98 Isaiah Papalii. I think this can be seen with NZ u18 getting smashed two years ago and the Junior Kiwis getting thrashed this year. The hope is the 99 class and the 2000 class can be as deep as previous classes.

• List
  5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Warriors have identified our home grown talent as woefully underprepared. Hence the shift from NYC to more ISP. This years NYC team was the youngest we have ever had. Kids like Junior Pauga, Isaiah Papali'i, Ata Hingano, Bunty Afoa, James Bell, Nathaniel Roache, Jazz Tevaga have skipped at least half a season of NYC and been promoted to ISP to fast track their development whereas years gone by they would have enjoyed near super stardom in the NYC beating smaller teams but learning nothing.

Imagine if Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Konrad Hurrell, Tuimoala Lolohea, Ken Maumalo, Shaun Johnson, Sam Lisone, Ngani Laumape, Sam Lousi and Carlos Tuimavave had been developed properly through ISP instead of turning 20 in the NYC? How much better developed would they have been?

Your example of the NYC getting the Wooden Spoon is a very poor one. To me it shows that the club are finally realising the folly of their ways.

I dont know what the hell Tony Iro does? Easy to sit behind a computer and say he isnt doing anything when the truth is he is probably running around like blue ass fly working with the shit he is given. I do see him everywhere though. Saw him in Rotorua for the Kiwis U16 game a couple months ago. Seen him at the secondary school comp yesterday. I know they have signed just about every top talent in the country for next years Harold Mathews team bar 3 or 4 players who decided to sign elsewhere on their own accord. Bet at least one of them will be back with homesickness.

Why not try email him and ask him instead of running him down on an issue none of us have the slightest idea about???

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 18
    • List
  6. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I asked for excuses, because I said Iro must have one. Thank you for offering it on his behalf.
    However that doesn't explain why every other club has a better junior team than ours?
    Are you telling me we are the only club that promotes our juniors into ISP?
    As for how hard he works, that doesn't matter, this is the mighty Vodafone Warriors, we are here to win, not just try hard.
    If most other clubs are doing it better than us as fans are we expected to say it is ok Tony Iro, we know you are trying your best. Who cares if we get the wooden spoon in 2018 because we don't have any props.
    Have a think about that and get back.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Warriors most successful NYC team in the comps history. FACT.

We were the only club that wasn't. We are now inline with every other club.

Club was a recruitment basket case well before Iro took over. Many factors involved there. The main ones after location would be your mate Stephen Kearney the professional player.

They approached James Graham. He chose the Dragons because he said he wanted to go to a club that had a chance of winning a title.

Have a think about that...

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

We are talking the present and the future, not the past.
    So why did we get the wooden spoon?
    Ok, so the recruitment is all Kearney's fault, but he has only been here this season.
    He lives in the Shire doesn't he, so WTF would he choose the Warriors for the same money? Was he the only prop available?

Have a think about that.;)

• List

9. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

I don't think we need Blake green, not for three years anyway. Ata Hingano is one of the most talented to come out of nz, persist, and he'll come good. He's got all the raw attributes of a superstar, and he's 19. He should be giving the 6, persisted with, and giving an extended period at 6 to make it his own.

If we lose Ata that'll be one of the biggest losses of juniors in our history. If green signs 3, I'd expect ata to become progressively frustrated and leave, and fair enough too.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  10. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

The three years is definitely a stretch but if it were up to me I'd probably give it to him.

+ Green's played 200 first grade games as opposed to Hingano's 15.

+ Green's played alongside two of the best and most contrasting play makers in the game (DCE and Cronk) and has gelled with both of them. Hingano on the other hand will still be refining his own game for at least another 2 seasons.

+ Green has finals (and Grand Final) experience.

Hingano should still get quite a bit of FG time (with injuries, form slumps and bench selections) anyways so I wouldn't worry too much about him getting cold feet. Who knows by the last year of Green's contract Hingano might have completely displaced him in the FG team, or maybe Johnson leaves and Hingano partners Green himself. He's already signed with us so really we can do whatever we want... and if he feels entitled to a FG spot and decides he really wants to leave than he probably isn't what we're looking for anyways.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  11. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

I would argue Isaiah Papali'i should be nurtured as the eventual replacement for Mannering...dude has massive work rate and ticker and is fresh out of high school.

Looked decent in 1st grade in short stints this season and tackled like a mad dog in last night's ISP semi.

Strong runner of the ball too...you can see why he was labeled best Union high school player last year and touted to become a future All Black...

Yet he chose to be a Warrior. Don't fuck this up...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

With a bit more experience and quality in team especially in the forwards Ata maybe ok.

Whilst Green would be good for a season the club cannot risk losing talent. That is my concern of signing him for 3 years.

• List
  13. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

best signing so far, better than the players announced !

this Corvo dude has all the credentials and hopefully turn our 60 minute team to an 80 minute team

im a big Wiki fan but nothing we have tried in 6 seasons has worked so im all for trying something new now

what do we have to lose, dropping from 13th to 16th...whoopde f$#king do !!!!

• List
  14. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

I see your point. You're obviously keen on the club taking the 'development' route, I on the other hand would prefer them to be a 'recruitment' based club. We've tried to build our club around our juniors before and all its gotten us is 6 years without a finals appearance.

• List
  15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

No shit. We have signed another player? Who is it? Michael Jordan? Lebron James? Maria Tutaia???

• Funny Funny x 8
    • List
  16. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Unlikely.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • List
  17. brightman