General Discussion 2017 Week 1 NRL Finals Footy Thread

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Dare I say it the difference between the bottom 4 and us is daylight as well.

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

We are in the bottom four, do you mean the wooden spoon?;):D

3. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

you got it

4. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

I think we can all agree that every finals series, some ref always fudges it for another team. I hate manly but really feel for them, just looking at that live you wonder how it can be a try. Hits potentially his arm, then hand, propells forward 2m and he lands on it. Just doesn't look right haha uhwell up the Warriors

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

The refs were never going to let the rules ruin their boss Cam Smiths big day...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Propelled forward after hitting his knee. The question is whether is grazed his hand on the way to his knee. There was no conclusive video evidence to say it did so the correct call was made by the video ref...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Geez those tough Aussies know how to snivel. Under the rules the ref had to make a call, he called how he saw it and there was no evidence to overrule his call. End of story and that is what Tony Archer will say on Monday morning.

• List
  8. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Im with Barett, if a ball ricochets 4 times, propells forward 2m. Sending it up a try is clearly the wrong call. Incompetent reffing, should have been sent up no try

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Are you also a Manly fan like Barrett???

10. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

No I hate Manly with a passion. If a ball ricochets 4 times and he thinks it hasnt hit any part of his bicep or hand on the way through and wants to call it a try. Then blow ya bloody whistle, if theres no doubt!!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  11. Tedster
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2014

Tedster 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone know wot time game kicks off - sky coverage is from like 5pm to 9pm???

12. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

210pm perth time, so 610pm nz??

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

If he had called it no try then Penrith would have been sniveling. It is the way the rules are written. In yawnion the ref can asked try or no try. Then it would be a 50/50 call.

14. Tedster
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2014

Tedster 1st Grade Fringe

Thanks. ;)

15. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Exactly the problem is in the system at the end of the day. Sending it up try/no try when they really have no idea.

Im not fussed, looks like Archer will be sacked at years end. Harrigan will be put back in charge, lay down the law to the refs about all the bullshit that has come into the game.

Fix the play the ball up for staters. Get up on the spot and play the fucking ball, don't walk forward after playing it and take the markers out.

All this offside business, where its like you get 3 chances to be offside before a penalty.

They all ref with leeway now like archer did. Harrigan will bring it back to black/white.

• List
  16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I hate Manly with a passion. Just saw it different on my TV I guess. Looked fine to me. Came off his chest and knee. Couldn't say 100% it came off his hand. Guessing the on field ref didn't see it knock on. Such is sport.

DCE was doing his best to hold it together post match and he swears it hit his hand. I laughed...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

I think Sydney as a "League town" is overstated, AFL and Soccer in particular have made massive inroads lately with The Swans and the giants both in the playoffs and Sydney FC winning the comp this year and the success the Wanderers have been.
    Swans had 46k to their payoff game literally next door to the Panthers/Manly game but in saying that both AFL and Soccer are much better to watch live than on TV whereas I feel league is a much better TV product than a live experience

• List
  18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

:eek:...no wonder the NRL are worried about AFL.

19. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

I wonder if pricing is different at all??

• List
  20. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

AFL an unusual beast. Swans and GWS have been quite successful recently hence there good crowds.
    Mind you it was only about 6 weeks ago that GWS only got 11,000 to one of there home games
    I think problem the NRL has is too many teams in Sydney. Don't ask me which teams should merge or go.
    The AFL machine is Melbourne is quite unique. Whole generations of family's support the same club.
    If there Grandad was a Hawks fan, then the father is, and his kids as well and so on and so on.
    Talk about an obsession. There crowds are great, I read somewhere there average crowds are only marginally behind EPL. Storm have been successful but there semi only drew 22,000 compared to the AFL semis which were heaps more. On the whole Sydney siders are a bit more accepting of other sports and not unusual for leaguies
    to attend AFL and Union games, where is Melbourne AFL supporters would never go to these other codes.
    Fucking mental! I don't mind the game but seems to go forever. Time out is called if you cough.
    Remember talking to one of the Morris boys a few years ago and he mentioned NSW did some cross training
    with the Swans. One of the drills was taking the high ball. Hayne plane was killing it leaping up on some of his team mates backs to take screamers .When it came to the AFL guys doing it they wouldn't do it unless they
    could strap those big pads on there backs. They couldn't believe the league guys could do it without protection.
    Two words describe that "Soft Cocks".

• List