Poll 2018 Centres Thread

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by wrighty, May 6, 2018.

1. Solomone Kata

2. Peta Hiku

3. Anthony Gelling

4. Blake Ayshford

5. Gerard Beale

6. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wrighty
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2018

wrighty 1st Grade Fringe

Ayshford and Beale are supposed to be available in Round 10.

Presuming their availability is correctly reported, then just for arguments sake and the purposes of this thread, let's assume that SK starts both of them in ISP this coming week to blow out some rust and take some hit ups.

Based on the above who do you select for Round 11 and going forward from there at centre?

Discuss

This has been discussed in various threads so I figured maybe a themed thread might help...

2. Naumaifooty
    Join:
    Sep 12, 2017

Naumaifooty Warriors Bench Player

Fus is a better center than all of them problem is hes probably the best winger in the game.

3. wellyboy
    Join:
    Jun 1, 2015

wellyboy Warriors Bench Player

Josh addo carr is the best winger in the game. I still rate fus highly.

4. Danpatmac
    Join:

Danpatmac Guest

Our centres have not been a major problem, or even a minor problem as we have an outstanding record in 2018 with Hiku and Katas in those spots

However, they all offer different things:
    (ranked best to least best in my opinion)
    Hiku - offensive creativity, 2nd phase play and covers entire backline
    Kata - fairly solid defence and physical running
    Beale - experience, solid defender and good footspeed
    Ayshford - good passer, improved defender, covers back row
    Gelling - big body, strong runner, covers back row

Fusitu'a is a premier winger in the world, I would not move him unless dire circumstances
    CNK is a winger/fulback

5. Von Cettes
    Join:
    Sep 14, 2013

Von Cettes U20's Player

Blake Ayshford is not first grade material his 2017 NRL stats were among the worst in the League
    At the end of the season most clubs do a review and it was of very little surprise to me that the Warriors invested heavily in this area in the off season we recruited Beale Hiku and Gelling
    Ayshford is slow often beaten and offers very little the best part of his game is his draw and pass
    He was in reserve grade at West’s and Cronulla that is his best position Super League awaits Blake
    The moment Fake is selected in the Warriors side I will be pissed
    We have 3 centres Kata Hiku and Beale hopefully among those 3 for the season

6. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Kata is the most vulnerable out of the incumbents.

Hiku is safe ish because he is a Kiwi Center that can run the right edge plays.

That leaves Beale and Kata.

Beale has the CV, he is the Kiwi international Center rated ahead of Hiku even.

Beales last game was a test matcfh for NZ so do the maths on that one...he is rated ahead of Hiku as a Rep footy player.

Kata and Ken will battle over the spare wheel.

Beale and Hiku the NZ combo...what else is there....Beale looked awesome for the Kiwis till he broke his leg...two try saving tackles in a test...then snap...hes the best center we have on paper;...so he will play there is no argument.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Right now its Peta Hiku and Solomone Kata. Until either no longer deserves to play NRL by fucking up at training or game day the positions are theirs to keep.

Peta Hiku gets found out in defence at times but that is something you can always work. The combination he has with not only David Fusitua but also Shaun Johnson is the type of stuff that you either have or you don't. No amount of work is going to make that combination stick.

With all that being said I fully expect Gerard Beale to feature in the team very soon...

8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Lets not forget Solomone Kata has played 5 games at centre for the Kiwis. Both Gerard Beale and Peta Hiku have played more though.

We get 2014 Hiku back he walks into the team ahead of Beale IMO...

9. Danpatmac
    Join:

Danpatmac Guest

will Kearney carry a utility back on the bench along with a hooking option or are we talking about one of the current backline missing out to slot Beale in?

10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I'm picking Peta Hiku to get dropped. Defence is cake at times...

11. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Yeah I didnt forget about Sol.

Dean Whare walks in ahead of all of them and so on.

But Beale has the Rep footy Mana of the three of them and a coach like SK will pay that some respect till Beale flops.

Personally....I have been converted this weekend to Sol holding his spot...but I cannot see Kearney going back on the promises he would have made to Beale as a veteran old boy of Kearneys when they talked about a change of clubs.

SK would have been rapt with those early minutes of Beales for NZ in the WC...plus he did say he was really happy with the way Beale was a good influence and very positive and liked since he joined the team.

Its a close one but yeah I cant see SK mucking his senior player around,

Beale off the bench one hundred percent guaranteed and from there he is too experienced not to pinch a spot...he plays like a center.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I reckon he gets a round in ISP next week to blow out the cobwebs then bench like you say much in the same way Konrad Hurrell was eased back in after coming back to 2014 preseason overweight...

13. Danpatmac
    Join:

Danpatmac Guest

Really?
    Even with the gorging that Fus has had from his passes and offloads?

I guess time will tell

14. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

He would be our most expensive center right now ? highest paid ?

15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I'd say so but obviously have no idea how much everyone is getting paid. Gerard Beale likely top dog with Solomone Kata in second...

16. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I guess it comes down to what is worse- a center that can’t tackle or a center that can’t pass?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Sammyw11
    Join:
    Mar 8, 2016

Sammyw11 Warriors Bench Player

Ayshford is not up to first grade standards, there is a reason he ends up in reserve grade everywhere he goes. hes horrible. i would have all of the above mentioned names ahead of him in the pecking order

18. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Always liked Beale but he's coming back from a serious injury- not likely to see him at his best this year.
    Hiku is an enigma- he's missed a lot of tackles and bombed a few tries but he does bring that bit of X factor. He's an unlikely looking athlete but is a natural footballer which is rare in this day and age.
    Ayshford and Gelling are a fair way behind but do have the added bonus of covering the back row.
    Kata had a shocker last year but looks a bit trimmer this year and has regained a bit of speed and the confidence that comes with that. He's number one in my book.

19. RizNz
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2018

RizNz U20's Player

Gerard Beale looked to be the best player on the park in that opening world cup game vs Samoa before he was injured. I think he will eventually replace Kata on the left and bring the best out of Ken.
    It would be pretty tough on Kata to miss out as he has been going pretty well when available. My guess is Beale gets a week in reserve grade this week.

20. Jwoodzy02
    Join:
    Nov 14, 2015

Jwoodzy02 1st Grade Fringe

Beale on the bench after a game or two of ISP, would rather him at 14 than Tevaga