General Discussion 2018 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Oct 15, 2017.

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

2018 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

This thread is the discussion offshoot of the forums official Warriors Recruitment and Rumour Mill - 2018. Basically a place you can discuss anything concerning our recruitment.

For discussion on the team you want to see named please go to the following thread

http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/your-warriors-team-for-2018.55805/

For discussion on players you want signed who no rumour or news directly linking them to the Warriors please go to the following thread

http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/who-should-the-warriors-sign-for-2018-2019.59778

If you want to discuss and particular player please search for their player discussion thread.

REPEAT OFF TOPIC POSTERS WHO CREATE UNNECESSARY WORK FOR ADMIN WILL BE BANNED FROM THIS THREAD.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Homecoming for Hiku and Love-Henry
    Richard Becht | Images: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Mon 9th October, 04:04PM

Utility Peta Hiku and back rower Matiu Love-Henry are both returning to the Vodafone Warriors after stints overseas.

Hiku (24), named in the Kiwis’ Rugby League World Cup squad last week, has signed for three years after being granted an early release from his contract with the Warrington Wolves in the English Super League.

Taupo-raised Love-Henry, who played 32 NYC games for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in 2014-2015, is coming home after two years with the Brisbane Broncos where he played for the Norths Devils in Queensland’s Intrust Super Cup. He has a one-year deal.

“We’re delighted to be able to secure Peta, a player who brings us not only international experience but also a background in both the NRL and the Super League,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“Another benefit is the working relationship he has with Stephen (Kearney) through his time with the Kiwis.

“Matiu didn’t manage to break into the NRL with Brisbane but Stephen was impressed with his development and attitude when he was at the Broncos.”

Hiku is the fourth Kiwi international the Vodafone Warriors have secured for 2018 and beyond, joining Kiwi captain Adam Blair, second rower Tohu Harris and backline utility Gerard Beale along with 2017 Mate Ma’a Tonga international Leivaha Pulu.

In his only NYC season in 2012, Hiku made 23 appearances for the Vodafone Junior Warriors and was named the club’s Vodafone NYC Player of the Year. He spent the next three seasons with Manly, quickly earning his NRL debut and going on to score 28 tries in 60 games while being used at fullback, wing and centre. He moved to Penrith in 2016 before joining Warrington where he scored 10 tries in just 11 appearances.

Making his Test debut in 2014, Hiku was a key contributor to the Kiwis’ Four Nations triumph covering the fullback position for the injured Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

He joins fellow new signings Blair and Beale in the Kiwis at RLWC2017 along with Simon Mannering, Shaun Johnson and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

PETA HIKU

Date of Birth: December 4, 1992

Birthplace: Gisborne, New Zealand

Junior Club: Manurewa Marlins

Position: Utility back

Height: 1.86m

Weight: 98kg

Rep Honours: 9 Tests for Kiwis (2014-2015), Four Nations (2014)

Previous Clubs: Vodafone Warriors (2012), Manly Sea Eagles (2013-2015), Penrith Panthers (2016-2017), Warrington Wolves (2017)

NRL Debut: Manly v Cronulla, Brookvale Oval, April 14, 2013 (Round 6)

NRL Career: 80 appearances 2013-2017:

Manly: 60 appearances (2013-2015)

Penrith: 20 appearances (2016-2017)

NRL Points: 142 (34 tries, 3 goals):

Manly: 118 (28 tries, 3 goals)

Penrith: 24 (6 tries)

Super League Career: 11 appearances for Warrington (2017)

Super League Points: 40 (10 tries)

NYC Career: 23 appearances for Vodafone Junior Warriors (2012)

NYC Points: 24 (6 tries)

MATIU LOVE-HENRY

Date of Birth: October 2, 1995

Birthplace: Rotorua, New Zealand

Junior Club: Taupo Phoenix

Position: Second row

Height: 1.85m

Weight: 105kg

Rep Honours: NZ Residents 18s (2013)

Previous Clubs: Vodafone Warriors (2014-2015), Brisbane Broncos (2016-2017), Norths Devils (2016-2017)

NRL Debut: Yet to make debut

NYC Career: 32 appearances for Vodafone Junior Warriors (2014-2015)

NYC Points: 52 (13 tries)

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

3. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

I give recruitment a plus mark so far. The forwards picked up will add to the pack, which is the first consideration in any team's success. Backs like Beale and Hiku bring that experience which is gold. For me Vete in particular may go better without Matulino and Lillyman, at least he needs to. Lisone needs to just concentrate on his core roles as a Prop.

Lino is an average player with some good skills, nothing wrong in that, but in truth back up. Hingano on the other hand has shown to me some real promise. Playing behind that Tongan pack might help him up to the next level in skill and confidence.

A major problem in both codes is family and agents over rating their family/client. This can build these young egos up too much. At best it rubs people up the wrong way these threats to leave. Big fish, little pond syndrome.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  4. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

They got time an space to work on there game now
    Pretty adequate bench to be honest Pulu, Vete, Lisone
    if we get a Mckendry /who ever,, we will be solid
    But Those three just need more time in the middle
    no need to get rid of them .They should be pushing for spots
    at sommestage

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. Duh herro
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2015

Duh herro NSW Cup Player

I think we need better depth at halfback or 5/8th. We don't need a superstar just some experienced play maker or journeyman who can come in on the cheap.
    That may be why the club are supposedly chasing Blake Green. I think Lino/Hingano need some more game time to mature as players. Possibly off the bench again.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

One rumor going round is that Hingano will wear the 6 jersey next season but possible that there may be a depth signing in the halves to come.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  7. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Just gonna go ahead and re-post the outgoing/incoming player list so people can see what it is we're still missing.

Outgoing > Incoming
    Allwood > Hiku
    Clark > Cherrington
    Foran >
    Gubb > Pulu
    Hoffman > Harris
    Lillyman >
    Lolohea > Santo
    Matulino > Blair
    Ogden > Love-Henry
    Sipley >
    Thompson >
    Vatuvei/Faraimo > Beale

I'm of the opinion that most clubs reserve x number of spots for each position (e.g. four halves, ten props etc) in their squad and maintain a certain percentage of the cap to spend on each position (i.e. 20% to halves, 40% to props etc). That would mean whenever we lose a player in a certain position, we should sign someone in the same position of similar value (or maybe sign someone cheap and upgrade another player's contract, either way the money stays among the players in that position).

Because of this I tried to pair players up based on position and salary, that way we not only get an idea of the role in which our imports will fill but also the caliber of player they are. So by looking at the list above you could say that we're still in the market for: a first-grade quality half, a first-grade + SOO level prop, a reserve/rookie prop and a first-grade level back rower (notice that there are no longer any wing/center positions open, therefore I think it'd be unlikely that the club will sign JTS).

You'd also have to take into account other factors such as the inflated prices we'd have to pay for being an under performing club, our undesirable/desirable location, third party deals, long-time serving player allowances, player position swaps (i.e. Mannering back to the edge), the increase in salary cap etc.

Of course this could all be wrong and the club might do something completely different to what I've predicted, so who knows.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  8. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

There are some huge holes in the squad, we really struggled this year once we got injuries and this year its going to be even worse. Kearney is probably happy to lose players and depth as it is a ready made excuse for us only winning 4 or 5 games next year

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List

9. francis faafua
    Join:
    Jul 30, 2016

francis faafua NSW Cup Player

does anybody know if we've signed Blake Green or not ?

• List
  10. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

I’m not bother either way. I reckon with a good pack a forwards even average 6 or 7 can perform.

I wouldn’t call Witt and Rovelli world beaters, yet they performed above expectations behind a good pack.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  11. Old Sid
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Old Sid 1st Grade Fringe

I'm all for Green coming if available. But if not, then young Lino could be a solid foil for SJ behind a much stronger pack.

• List
  12. ko wai ra
    Join:
    Nov 15, 2014

ko wai ra NSW Cup Player

He can be let go when Tof comes back!!

• List
  13. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

This thread could possibly be called the recruitment and development thread as they go hand in hand. We are well aware of the issues with recruitment of Aussie players, so development has to be a major emphasis. It isn't working and that has to be fixed. Players are taking too long to get up to speed.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  14. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

It's true and for different reasons, some sides don't require a ball playing forward at lock because props are so skilled these days e.g Klemmers at lock because Grahams at prop etc.

We're starting to see halves linking both sides of the field again but I think for us there's got to be room for a ball playing lock forward, our packs looking more aggressive but I don't see them dominating the middle in every game so second phase will be important.

• List
  15. bringmethehorizon
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

bringmethehorizon 1st Grade Fringe

Thompson > Maumalo
    Maumalo > JTS

• List
  16. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

My issue is you still need creative ball players when you have 6 tackles on the opposition goal line. In those situations you dont need metre eaters. You need backrowers who run exceptional lines and halves who can put players through tight windows and attacking kicks that create tries or repeat sets. Not sure if higano or Lino can create when theres a shortened field.

• List
  17. tHe_MaC
    Join:
    Oct 16, 2013

tHe_MaC NSW Cup Player

Mitchell Pearce.

18. wazzas
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

wazzas 1st Grade Fringe

lol, Just saw that, but how reliable is that source??

19. tHe_MaC
    Join:
    Oct 16, 2013

tHe_MaC NSW Cup Player

How reliable are any of them?

20. bobba
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2013

bobba Warriors Bench Player

Any more progress on paasi?

• List