General Discussion 2018 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Oct 15, 2017.

1. mjak123
    Join:
    Sep 8, 2013

mjak123 Warriors Bench Player

Yes thats what he said,, you can view it on NRL.COM... I thought at the time ...what game was he watching...Roorters made heaps of mistakes but that came about because of the strong attack and defence our boys forced on them... I have found Toovey negative on our team in each post this year.. Kimorley has been on the bandwagon for three weeks

2. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

Thats what he said.

3. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Clearly he was taking the piss....

4. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

It was more like watering down Kimmorleys Warriors love by saying ehhh they weren't that good as the roosters were so bad. Something to that effect from memory.

5. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Which is completely valid. The Roosters didn't make us play great football. We played well, but there's still improvements to come. Same as tonight.

6. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin One Sock, Two Sock, Red Sock, Blue Sock

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Warriors prepared for almighty fight to keep best young players

• Smith says a factor in that has been the raids by Australian clubs, who have been picking up the best Kiwi players at a younger age.

"One of the things I've learnt since I've been here, which horrifies me, is that in recent seasons the starting point where talented rugby league players' careers begin is in some cases 14 years of age," Smith said.

"That's when other NRL clubs are coming here and identifying and signing players.

"There is a player right now who is 14 and he's being courted by an NRL club, with an offer that would blow your mind.

"So our choice is either leave the door open for the foxes to come in and take the hens, or we can fight back and do something about it.

"So we're in the process of making determinations about what the future holds for us, as a development club."

It goes against Smith's personal beliefs to sign up players so young and there is always the possibility of another Etene Nanai-Seturo scenario happening, where he stays in New Zealand, but then decides to switch codes.

"I feel it's very unhealthy for the game, but we have to go there," Smith said.

"About 30 players are leaving and have been leaving in each of the past few seasons, since these clubs have been raiding New Zealand for 15-year-olds.

"That's the reality. Are they getting all the best ones? They probably had pretty much open slather at it, so they should have been able to pick the best ones.

"But it doesn't mean that we haven't got good ones, because we've got some who we're very confident will become NRL players."

However, Smith said the exodus has to end and the club will be more more proactive in identifying and recruiting the best young New Zealanders.

"I feel like there's got to be a fightback by us," he said.

"We've got to get in and get dirty, if that's what it takes. Even if it doesn't look right to me that 15-year-olds and their parents are being asked to sign agreements."

7. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

Horriors2013 1st Grade Fringe

About time I say. I'm glad they're fighting back. Sometimes it takes an Aussie to be motivated to make the changes. Kiwis might be too resigned to letting it happen.

Although it can depend on luck or the quality of the recruiter. Who knows maybe we get the best anyway? Perhaps all that really matters is how good the club is at developing. Hopefully now we realize that the quality of attitude is more important than talent. Or rather they can take all the talented ones and filter them by best attitude. The CEO seems to think that way.

8. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan 1st Grade Fringe

Totally.

The other thing I cant stand in Aus is how they think NZ only has a few players so there is no room for a second team. So we end up with something like Perth. Auck doesnt hold the NZRL cup year in year out. IMO we could easily make another club, and what would be even better is we put them in a Kiwi dominated area of Aus like Gold Coast or Bondi lol. In all honesty distance isnt an issue, could even use the old Broncos stadium, if its standing, I havnt been there since 2000. The one thing the warriors lack is the players having both Media and Fan exposure. They leave Mt Smart and clock off. In Aus the fans live where you live, the media has a massive presence in NRL in both news and TV shows. I think the Warriors would be more successful living and breathing the NRL like the other clubs do.

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

NRL: Warriors rule out move for under-fire Wallabies fullback Israel Folau
    18 Apr, 2018 2:11pm

Mike Hosking speaks to rugby ref Nigel Owens about Israel Folau's comments on homosexuals. / Newstalk ZB

The Warriors have ruled out making a play for Israel Folau if he becomes available on the open market.

The future of the under-fire Wallabies fullback is uncertain, as the fallout from his controversial social media comments continues on both sides of the Tasman.

If he does cut ties with the Australian Rugby Union, Folau wouldn't be short of options, including a stint in Japanese or European rugby.

But a return to the NRL would be another option, as Folau made his name in the 13-a-side code with the Broncos and Storm.

He was a teenage sensation when he broke onto the scene in 2007, anointed as the Dally M Rookie of the Year, and he scored 73 tries in 91 NRL matches before switching to AFL.

A return to league might also easier from a domestic point of view, considering his Silver Fern wife Maria's netball commitments in this part of the world.

The Warriors have previously been linked with Folau, and the club has an ongoing relationship with his agent Issac Moses, with a number of players from his stable.

Folau's name was discussed at Mt Smart early last year – but it's unlikely he will be this time.

Firstly, the Warriors don't have the salary cap space.

The majority of their roster is signed up to the end of next season, and the club has spent big money on acquisitions such as Tohu Harris, Blake Green and Adam Blair, as well as the retention of Shaun Johnson and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Folau would command at least A$1 million a year, which would need to be topped up with third party and endorsement deals.

Secondly, for all Folau's extraordinary range of talents, there probably isn't an obvious place for him on the roster.

Tuivasa-Sheck is established at fullback and locked up on a long-term deal, and the club is happy with the present balance provided by Peta Hiku and Solomone Kata in the centres, while David Fusitua adds the aerial option on the wing.

It's also perhaps a sign of the club's progress that they are no longer linked with every high profile name that comes off contract, as they were in the not too distant past.

They've also realised – thanks to their ill-fated experiment with Sam Tomkins – that one big name can't change the club.

There might also be hesitation, on the Warriors' part, to disrupt the culture that has been carefully built since the offseason.

As was demonstrated with Kieran Foran last year, as well as Jarryd Hayne at the Titans, the presence of a big personality in the dressing room can affect the delicate balance of team chemistry.

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney was reluctant to discuss Folau this week but made it clear it was extremely unlikely.

"It's a very long shot I would have thought," said Kearney, when asked if the Warriors were going to discuss Folau.

"I will let you know if that happens."

10. Sebastian
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Sebastian 1st Grade Fringe

With Fusitua one of the best wingers in the comp. And only 23. Not worried. Especially with Ken pullling blockbusting runs every game and getting better. Ken is also 23. Israel is 29. So thanks but no thanks.

11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Waste of time in my opinion. You don't sign someone on that coin to play wing. And he will be worth some change. He is either a fullback or nothing at this club. End of story...

12. Aman
    Join:
    Apr 9, 2016

Aman 1st Grade Fringe

Are we a chance for Falou if he makes a return to League with his missus being based in Nz and all? How we do look in terms of cap space next year or after?

13. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

We are probably at the point where we can get a star when Mannering retires.
    I'm saying this because the team is working well .So if we do get a star player
    It won't be to fix anything .It will just be to shine .KF etc would all look better
    In this team .Its got the basics down pact.

14. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

I think Kearney has demonstrated we don't need 'stars' we need hard working players.
    More Blair's and Pulus and Tohus

15. ForTheLoveOfGod
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2017

ForTheLoveOfGod Warriors Bench Player

Falou would be one hell of a strike weapon at centre. But not at that price tag. Ken is not even a poor mans Falou but he has improved greatly.

16. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

Yeah very true. Rugby is too dominant. For example, I was saying in the forgotten Warriors thread how KBHS beat St. Pauls in my last year. But guess what? We never made the year book. We had Guttenbeil, Buckingham, Rua, Beverley-all who made it to the Warriors/and or other NRL teams (and all had junior contracts already with the Warriors, Manly and Storm respectively). Yet the stars of the First XV came to nothing (Kees Meeuws had just left by then). Yet rugby reigns..

17. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

Yeah Ken deserves a chance. He'll never be a Folau, but Folau's time is over. Unless he takes a big paycut and really wants to play for us, there's no point paying that coin as Mt.Welly said.

18. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

More likely she moves to Oz I reckon after the Comm Games fallout and pressure regarding his gay comments. She's nearing retirement I'd say. But would accept an offer from Oz I'd reckon.