Agnatius Paasi

1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Already been mentioned in other threads that Agnatius is coming back home, but I thought I'd start his own thread:

League: Warriors sign prop Agnatius Paasi
    6 Nov, 2017 2:40pm

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Agnatius Paasi of the Titans is tackled by the Bulldogs defence in round 25. Photo / Getty Images

The Warriors have completed the signing of former Gold Coast Titans prop Agnatius Paasi with the 25-year-old inking a two-year deal.

The one-test Tongan international becomes the third former Warriors player to return this off-season, joining outside back Peta Hiku and forward Matiu Love-Henry.

Paasi, who debuted with the Warriors in 2014, made 54 appearances for the Titans across three seasons. He enjoyed a superb Auckland Nines tournament in 2016 that propelled him into a strong season where he played all 25 games for the Titans.

But injury restricted the aggressive and skillful prop to just 11 games this year before he sought a release from the Titans.

"Agnatius became available after being released on compassionate grounds so he and his family could return home," said Warriors CEO Cameron George.

"We're excited to be able to add him to our roster. He's another aggressive forward, just the type Stephen (Kearney) is after as we look to boost our front row resources."

Paasi joins former fellow Titan Leivaha Pulu, Adam Blair, Tohu Harris and Love-Henry in a new-look forward pack.

Backs Gerard Beale and Hiku have also signed with the Auckland club.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

2. Makasene
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Makasene 1st Grade Fringe

A solid signing if he can stay fit. I'd have him ahead of Lisone, Afoa, Vete, Sao

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

My only worry about him is whether his body will hold up. He was solid last year but has been plaqued by injuries lately.

Still amazes me that he was let go by the club and not 6 months later he makes the Auckland Nines Team of the Year damn near taking out the Player of the Tournament award then rips in for the Titans 1st Grade squad like he's a seasoned pro. All that after spending some 3-4 years in our development program and only playing one game.

Not sure whether its a slight on our development and talent identifying but its seems ridiculous that he would turn into a solid 1st grader after leaving our club so soon. Being away from home, family, friends, comfort zones etc would play a part but something is seriously missing at the Warriors...

4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Did he not say going to the Titans took him out of his comfort zone?

5. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Paasi looks like he’s ready for first grade.

6. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Wow - great stats.

7. greenie
    Join:
    Feb 26, 2013

greenie U20's Player

What game was this from? He wasn't playing against Souths.

8. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

ISP Bears.

9. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Thanks for posting.

Love to compare those to When our ex Marquee Prop Ben Mutts had a run in ISP ( I know it's too small a sample size to infer anything other than Iggy wants his Fg status reinstated).

Those Stats also tell you his injury is settling / settled.

10. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

I think the biggest thing to take away from his stats for that game is that he’s fit .... 20 hit ups & 20 tackles with a 95% tackle efficiency tells me he’s right to when called upon.

11. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Yep....as already noted ...when fully fit with good coaching he is amaze balls.
    Prolly only behind Tohu for out and out talent with a ball.

12. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

I’m taking it your referring to the forwards only but yeah take your point, anyone need any more evidence watch him during the Auckland Nines in 2016, Paasi and Bevan French were the players of that Tournament.

13. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

One of the silly things we did with him was to play him at center during Preseason ( and in reserves a lot).

Against Wigan with a hodge podge Backline of no names....Paasi had no chance.

This utility gap filler....positional experimention shit has to stop in reserves.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I'm just guessing but they might have played him there
    So he could concentrate on a specific task .
    Eg ball playing ,positioning etc ..

15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Warriors prop Agnatius Paasi admitted he needed an attitude change
    DAVID LONG
    Last updated 15:20, April 11 2018
    DAVID NEILSON/PHOTOSPORT
    Agnatius Paasi is one of the new signings making a big impact at the Warriors.

Warriors prop Agnatius Paasi conceded he has needed to stop being so 'complacent' as a footy player at the club.

The 26-year-old, who'll start against the Broncos on Saturday, is back at the Warriors after three years away at the Titans, allowed to get out of the last year of his contract on the Gold Coast for compassionate reasons.

His career at the Titans got off to a great start and he quickly became one of their key players.

However, Paasi admitted he started to take playing in the NRL for granted and needed to snap out of that attitude at the Warriors, otherwise a career in the reserve grade NSW Cup was heading his way.
    A knee injury hampered his return to the Warriors team at the beginning of this season and he had to battle his way up to the NRL side.

But in recent weeks he's been in the starting team, with Adam Blair shifting to lock and he revealed he needed to improve his attitude to get a run in the first grade side.

"I think I'm getting to the stage of not being complacent," Paasi said.

"When I was back at the Titans, I got a start there and then I got complacent.

"But I'm definitely learning from that, so I think I'm getting to gel with the team now and prepping myself each week.

"I'm also containing my weight and doing all those little things to start strong for the boys."

Paasi is listed by the Warriors as weighing 111kg. Previous listings during his career have ranged from 106kg to 115kg.

"It's been up and down," he said.

"During the preseason I was a bit heavy, but I got myself down and now I have to stay there and work for the boys, not only myself and hopefully we can continue this winning streak."

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney, has been pleased with how Paasi has progressed through the early stages of the season, but he does anticipate seeing more from him.

"He's come into the group over the last couple of weeks, but had a sore knee in the first trial," Kearney said.

"So he missed the second trial and it's been a bit of a stop/start beginning of the season for him.

"But he's just starting to find his feet and he's only going to get better for us.

"I'm sure over the next couple of weeks you'll see the best from him.

"I think he's been a great addition to the group."

Not playing in the first couple of games of the season, did mean he was playing catch up and it was the other new signings likes Blair, Blake Green, Tohu Harris and Peta Hiku who grabbed all the headlines.

But he was determined to make the most of his time at the Warriors, even if it meant having to ask Kearney difficult questions.

"It's pretty tough with injuries and that sort of stuff," he said.

"I think it's about trusting the systems, trusting the coach of what he has in store for us and also getting to know the team-mates.

"Also going up to him and asking (Kearney) where I fit and how I can take that next step forward, to being in the NRL 17.

"That helped and I'm just doing those little things right to stay on top.."

Now in the starting side, ahead of players like Sam Lisone and Albert Vete, Paasi says he's intent on staying there, with his spell in the NSW Cup team being a wake up call for him.

"I had been complacent in the past, but it put me on the mindset that I had to get down to business now. I've got to get rehab done and work my way to the top again.

"I played a few games at Cup, but I knew I was better than that and I knew that I belonged up there with the NRL squad."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

16. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Reading that article reminded me of so many other Warrior junior stars that get complacent and take too much for granted.
    Some how we have to address that early in these guys development and have similar expectations of our recruits that are proving successful for the NRL guys.
    If Paasi wants to look at someone that did it the hard way, ask James Gavet, former minimum wage last chance guy being overlooked for an age in reserve grade because the club were wary.

Kearneys a good coach for the likes of Paasi he's no push over.

Paasi sounds really competitive talking about getting on top and knowing he's too good to waste his talents in reserves.

That's important, coz that outlook fits in with a big group of guys desperate to get minutes.

17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

If Paasi needs to look at someone who did it the hard way he need only look in the mirror. Getting paid $10,000 on a third tier contract for 3 years playing Vulcans while doing 40 hours work to feed his young family. Taking time off to train and fly out every fortnight. Leaving NZ on his own dime on a Hail Mary preseason try out with the Titans where he slept in a mates lounge (Siuatonga Likiliki) while his partner and two children stayed in NZ. Catching the bus to and from training every day because he couldn't afford a car.

I'll go out on a limb and say that no one in the team at the moment has done it harder than Paasi. He's had to work damn hard for his chance and that is all he needs to remember when he starts getting complacent...

18. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

That's right aye, and when he got to the Goldcoast they had a lot of forward depth, due to that cocaine incident and some injuries he got an unlikely early look in after training hard.

Yeah you're right bro...I was thinking of what Gavet found when he came back here cap in hand.

Paasi was stink to watch failing, he had so much talent with his passing and little kicks, and trick plays, unusual for big guys...bit like Ervan Tuimavave and Dave Taylor...overgrown backs in forwards bodies....could be absolutely anything.

19. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

James Gavet has always been a great player. Just lack of discipline and injuries have hampered his career. Its awesome to see him being that humble guy who gives his all but also gives back to the community. What most don't know is he does a lot of charity work feeding homeless in town etc. Thats a far cry from the Gavet that saw him let go from the Warriors, Bulldogs and Tigers. He's lucky he is talented. Paasi doesn't have that same luxury. Not to that extent...

20. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Pulu has also done it fairly hard apparently - having to go to England and play.
    Makes for a really humble hard working pack.