General Discussion Alex Corvo Strength & Conditioning

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by WarriorBall, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Nahz
    Join:
    Dec 10, 2012

Nahz 1st Grade Fringe

stating the obvious but a far different heat in Brisbane to train in compared to here
    thats where most the OZ sides get the advantage over the Warriors cardioendurance & of course mental wise at the start of the season
    but nothing to lose..welcome Mr Corvo,time to wake the lazy asses up

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

No. He said "I"...

3. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The club has built this guy up. As soon as results don't work out the people with long memories will probably roll out the same things and turn the hype around him back on them.

The pleasing thing is he's been talked up by his previous clubs and besides a few articles he has gone about his business without a lot of hype around it. Of course he comes here where the club needs to push out some positive news and he's reported as the big saviour.

For any journos lurking on here you have an easy article or two going over this upcoming pre-season. What they have done over the off season, differences to last year etc.

It may have been the same Men's Health article but there was an article on the Broncos players and they running styles and how that affects their training plans. It was some thing along the lines of Boyd has a short stride this affects the following, Roberts is quick but not a natural runner we need to work around his like stride.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I haven't called them duds , But Vete, Lisone, Gavet are around the same in first grade experience
    probably throw Pulu in that group as well .An our team has to rely on these guys , I think it was Wayne Bennett
    that said he doesn't trust props who haven't played 100 games He knows .what he's on about,
    I only hope we have held on to the right ones ,An we can develop them , Otherwise send them off to
    another club an we can take them back later , Because our talent seems to develop better at other clubs,
    that's another subject entirely
    But at some stage next season Lisone, Vete, Pulu, are going to be our props
    an will have to play big minutes ,I hope they do well , But it is not ideal for our team
    we need another old head in the front row ,

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

To be fair Alex talked him self up abit in the radio interview.

6. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

League is a game of hurting. It needs mental strength to overcome the brain telling the body it has had enough. Good league players have a bit of that mental condition that ignores the common sense to give their body a breather. They have to be a bit obsessed or even manic.

Good league players do overs after training to push themselves further to their physical and mental limit, to the point where they just cannot go on. Then they immediately go on anyway just to show themselves they can do it, and again and again. That is what a good league player does.

Players that don't do overs, or laugh at others who, do are not good league players because they do not know their actual limit and think they have had enough when they actually have more in the tank.

So the drive has to come from within.

Korvo is going to have his work cut out with some of our cattle. He might expose them as soft, but is that news? We know that from looking at the stats every bloody week too many of them are soft and lazy in comparison to the Paul Gallen's of the world.

I cannot see him improving Simon Mannering SJ or RTS, they have already shown they have what it takes.

The management raving about the signing of Korvo are at the bullshit again.

7. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Corvo is just a world class fitness coach. He isn't Jesus.

Players who don't want to train still don't want to train. But now the ones who do have access to one of the best.

I think of the elite military training and the testing process to get into those squads and these guys you see passing out or vomiting blood, who really want to be a part of these units. The money isn't any better, but yet the still bust themselves up to pass the test.

Maybe we need something like this every year for our juniors before they become eligible for ISP? Start weeding out the lazy bones early.

Move the focus from perceived potential to an actual ability to survive the harshest training. If they fail that test they never play reserves for us.

That way we know that a player with talent will do what it takes to be a champion.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  8. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

I am hoping he can help SJ, we need him to get off the arm weights and get some speed back.

9. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

I remember towards the end of Clearys stint here our team really shone in the second half, particularly late in the half.
    It was kinda like watching the all blacks. Lots of teams can match the all blacks for 60mins not many can match them for 80.
    If this guy can get us back to that then maybe we won't be the joke of the comp any more.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  10. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

They've tried this in the past - and were still behind the other NRL teams at the start of the season.... hence the (correct) theory that the Warriors are always slow starters at the beginning of the season and only really get going around Origin time.

11. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I think we don't really get going around origin time, it's just that some teams lose there best players when we don't. Then we struggle again when origin is over and teams have all their best players back.

So the more correct theory is we suck, but other teams who are usually very good also suck during origin...

Maybe we just need to play in a comp where origin is happening right through the season?;)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

The seasons we have done well is when they've kept that Origin form going.... and the few times we're actually been strong/fit enough to compete from the beginning of the season.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  13. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

So we shouldn't really worry too much about the win loss in the first 6 rounds, but just watch to see if they are still playing hard in the late stages of the games... If they are fading away at the 60 min mark then we start sacking people...