Alternative to Sky

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harlz, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Harlz
    Join:
    Aug 15, 2013

Harlz 1st Grade Fringe

Kia ora everyone,

What is the best alternative to Sky TV? I'm not sure about you people but I'm over paying loads of money for a shit service like Sky. What other proven options are there that I could look at? Cheers!

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

If there was one now Sky would go under tomorrow. I think there will be though.

3. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. 7.99 a week

If in Australia, you get NRL streaming for free on Telstra PostPaid plans (not sure about prepaid).

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Who does the commentary?
    What is the quality like from an android?
    Do you have to sign for a whole year?

5. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Can sign for a week or month or year. Info all on the link. Quality is fantastic and hd. Its the foxsports coverage. Quality is better than the nrl live app.

I think that this is only provided to people in countries where there is no broadcast deal i.e outside of aus, nz and eng.

you might need a VPN which costs couple of dollars a month to change your location to say switzerland

• List
  6. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

yea i got rid of foxtell and now watch all games via Telstra app. Quality is excellent, i then google cast my screen to my TV so that i can watch on something bigger than a phone. Google casting my screen isnt the greatest, it very much depends on the local network quality.

7. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Yeah nrl live apps quality is average regardless of how good your network is. NRL has moved from using livestream.com to rugbypass.com and quality is excellent even when casting to tv.

8. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ahh that explains why its improved recently. I thought it might be more that i put a wireless booster in the system. The telstra wireless gateway is complete crap, wont even hold a signal 1 meter from the box on 5G, have to use 3G only.

9. Harlz
    Join:
    Aug 15, 2013

Harlz 1st Grade Fringe

Nice.... My mate was telling me about rugbypass today and that you have to download something from getflix.com? A DNS or something so you can stream it? I'm not a high tech geek so I got lost lol. Looks like that's the best option then ah so I'll be switching over soon. Thanks boys!

10. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Yeah mate getflix is a vpn that changes your dns. You can get a lifetime subscription from here for 35 bucks.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

If you have issues with the process send me a pm as public view discussing such things as vpn is probably innapropriate. Luckily you would be using a vpn for personal security reasons ;)

• List
  11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Do you use your phone for the Chromecast or your computer? Is there any difference in quality?

12. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

i only use my phone as the app is only on my phone. I may be able to set it up on the computer, but i think i cant. Because its through a telstra account i think they block anything that isnt connected via mobile cellular tech.

Like i said though the phone works great. Only thing is u cant cast direct, you have to mirror your screen to the larger device.

Check with Tajhay re the connection details as he seems to know more than me.

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Are you saying you cannot Chromecast from your android? The reason I ask is because I Chromecast from YouTube all the time although the quality can be variable.

14. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Are you talking about rugbypass? If so, yes you can chromecast from your android or tv, watch it on pc, or tablet or mobile phones. All the information is at the link provided.

If you are talking about NRL App, its only limited to Mobile Phones, Tablets and Laptops. And they disable the ability to cast it onto a TV. Even if you do, the quality will be crap as the resolution of the stream is not suitable for anything over a laptop screen resolution.

For people who have accessed livestream.com(no longer functional since NRL switched to rugbypass), or rugbypass, the quality of the broadcast is far far superior to what is delivered on the NRL Live app.

• List
  15. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Thanks heaps guys, so there is an alternative to SkySport and Soho for less than $50 a month. Mind boggling.

16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

A mate of a mate has started a company, He's trialing it out now and if he likes the service its KMA SKY...

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  17. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

I just cancelled Sky on the weekend.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Did you replace it?

19. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Just got another freeview recorder.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

How are you going to keep up with all your Kim Krapdashian gos now?