Anscestry DNA.

Discussion in 'Social Forum' started by surfin, Aug 19, 2017.

1. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

Just wondering if anyone has done one of these, I did mine a while ago and although there was a bit of a surprise it was generally what I expected.

Mine came back at,
    47% Great Britain. not that surprising although I thought it may have been as high as 60%.

27% Europe West, which is Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, the surprise for me I don't know of any ties there.

10% Ireland, again sort of expected that, possibly a little more.

3% Europe East, areas like Poland, Czech Republic, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Croatia etc. No idea about where that ties in, some fence jumping hundreds of years ago I guess.

Less than 1% Finland and North West Russia. Not enough to count.

Less than 1% Asia.

Finally 11% Polynesia, again no surprises, I expected anything between 10 and 30%.

Everything is then broken down into genetic communities the two for me are West Midlands and North West England, that comes back with a 20% chance my history is from there with 24 matches. My ties to Polynesia are at 60% with 913 matches.

Right now for me they have samples from 622 people that are rated as 4th cousins or closer.

The warning of course is sometimes you learn about a close relation that you might not have been meant to learn about.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay ^ I LIE

Me n the wife wanted to do it last year but the reviews of it were random. There was another place that did a more thorough dna analysis but it was considered to be illegal or something so a tamer more generic version like ancestory dna was created.

3. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

I think the other main one is called 23 and me, it is a little more expensive I think and offers some other interesting info like your Neanderthal connections.
    At a guess I would expect the testing could go a lot deeper than what is offered and it would probably pay for me to not go off raping and pillaging coastal villages as at a push the police could possibly use your sample in a case.
    I think when it comes to reviews there may be a few that don't like it because they may get an answer they don't want to hear. There are quite a few videos on Youtube of people opening their results and it appears that on occasion they aren't always happy. One woman tells how hers showed an African line and her Redneck KKK loving family members have absolutely pretended it's not there. Seems someone had a little moment with a slave. Also a lot of Americans claim to have Native American blood, unfortunately it's not often backed up with the results.

In my case it's come back with a few close relatives that I already know, but didn't know they had done it, including my cousins daughter, and a cousin I have that has spent most of his life in the States, and his kids. Enough to believe it's pretty accurate anyway. I also have had a couple of second cousins that I have no knowledge of, even their surnames are unknown to me or my parents, but being a slack bastard I still haven't contacted them to find out the tie in.
    My biggest surprise is with the number of Polynesian links, I expected Maori as my grandmother is one, but there seems to be a few Samoan names on the list and an awful lot of Hawaiian names.

I am looking at getting tests for my parents and kids just to see how everything is broken down over a couple of generations, I also wouldn't mind getting my 99 year old grandmother to do it but that may be harder than it's worth.

All in all it's a bit of fun for around $150 and if you were thinking about it, it can be quite interesting to see just where the fingers of your history reach.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

4. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

Two things that always make me feel off

AncestryDNA is a subset of Ancestry.com who is a front for a religion that has supplied tools so that you fill in data sheets that they otherwise wouldnt have available so they can baptise everyone into their religion. They have been doing this for years now, getting hold of birth records and wholesale baptising people that have been dead for years, or centuries and none of them ever asking to be baptised. They make no secret about this, but the thought of people claiming they have a right to my soul because they know better still rankles.

secondly, DNA testing is piss easy. a very low cost process that most chemists will probably run eventually in a drop off pick up process. The reason it is so slow and there are so few people doing it is the licensing costs. Big pharma owns the process and as such wacks a massive fee on every test. Because most people wont pay the exorbitant fees there is few places that can do it. Yes they would have to invest in equipment but machinary always comes down in price with more people. Its all being held artificially high. That price point and rarity is why it takes weeks to get a result. The actual test is about 24 hours long at forensic level and most of that is checking the sample for interference and purity. I imagine that Ancestory DNA use a much less stringent test that has much more errors in it.

5. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

I'd like to think I'm smart enough to spit in a tube and not sign up with the Mormons a few weeks later. As for being a front I would take that as meaning they try to hide the fact of their connections but as far as I'm aware they don't. I've made my thoughts on religion pretty clear on that thread. If someone chooses to baptise my name without my knowledge who cares, they could do that by going through the phone book, that's like complaining about someone talking about you. Nothing you say or do can change that.

As for cheaper versions again so what, Anscestry gives you access to a huge data base of other samples, a woman I know that was adopted at birth and has spent a large chunk of her life looking for her blood lines has managed to actually contact close blood relations, there is no other way she could have done that.

As for the quality of the test I don't think anyone expects it to be at the level the FBI uses in a homicide case. And in regards to price if you don't have $150 odd dollars to spend don't, shit I've spent more than that on a shitty meal at a crap restaurant that were running a front that they were a good restaurant.

6. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Mormons have always had a thing about genealogy, nothing new about that. Ancestry is a good website.

7. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

I am 100% pure English, descended from God - the kind of DNA that colonials claim heritage from by having a smattering of our superior strands.

In all honesty, these things are fascinating and I am sure that those white supremacists in the USA would be shocked by their results.

The one thing about sites like Ancestry.com is I am sick of people telling me that they they are William Shakespeare's 12th cousin or George IV's cousin's uncle's great grandson - so is everybody else! - what is more impressive is if you can name you eight great grandparents' surnames.

8. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Apart from that French and German strain with a dash of Ivory Coast via the North West of England, hell we're probably related, we both have the stubborn shit stirrer gene.

9. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

thats nice, i didnt tell anyone not to do it, i never said they were trying to hide anything, i just said that there were two things that felt off to me and why.

10. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Going back to the great grandparents theme, I can name four of their surnames and have no clue about the other four.

I know that three were from south London - Brixton, Bermondsey and Lewisham - and one was Welsh and, again, no clue about the other four.

11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I can, off the top of my head:)
    Which English, Angles, Saxons, Normans, Celts, Danes? Just asking like?;)

12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

You are pretty good. Apparently Maggie Thatcher couldn't go past her grandfather.

13. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

Without doing Ancestral DNA, in my family we can trace one relative back to my great great great great grandfather, born roughly 1785/1790 and on my wife's side the same number of greats (even has her name, been passed down every second generation) grandmother born 1745. But i actually find the more recent history rather than just dates more interesting, the stories that go with some of the names. Like the Great Aunt who killed her husband with an Axe. Or the Somewhat back a few great grandfather that killed himself after fathering 26 children. But we also have my Great Grandfather on my mothers side that jumped ship in NZ and changed his name. They think they know what he was called before he jumped ship, but he came form the california gold rush, where he had also jumped ship and changed his name, so we can guess heaps but know very little other than his country of origin (the netherlands we think).

14. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

No, pure English - unlike you colonial mudbloods.

Direct descendant of St George and God

15. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

St George and God, that sounds very Christian. You may as well trace your bloodlines to Santa and the Easter Bunny.

16. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Also English.

17. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Well........most people could guess one of their great grandparents' surnames as it's generally the same as theirs.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

I don't know who my father is so I'm fucked.

19. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

You are lucky - I've met mine

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.