General Discussion Are Players obligated to speak to media?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Jun 9, 2017.

1. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

serious question.

Luke, Foran, Hoffman, SK and Mannering, this week. Last week it was SJ and Lillyman talking to the media.

Is it smart by management to make them accessible to the media?

The public want blood right now and it seems anything these guys say will be used against them.

Wouldnt it be better to take a seige mentality? Close the hatchet and get the boys focused on the job at hand rather than giving media interviews to publish?

Action speaks louder than words.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Players media commitments are tightly managed by the Warriors. The club decides who talks to who, when and where. It will generally always be one of the more high profile players because thats who the media and public want to hear from. Would the Warriors message be more effective coming from Shaun Johnson, Kieran Foran or Issac Luke or would you trot out Ligi Sao, Nathaniel Roche or Bunty Afoa?

As for the siege mentality that never ever works long term. Last time I remember that tactic being used was John Mitchell and the All Blacks. That was a complete disaster. Particularly when the team is playing shit. Last thing you need is to further rile the club and fans by taking the high road. You also have to remember these guys have contracted obligations to spread the Warriors brand for the NRL, club and especially the sponsors...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  3. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I have heard quite a few journalists explain how the American sports work with their dealing with the media. Players need to be available after training sessions, during the week and before games and within a certain time frame after games the dressing rooms need to be open.

Two things with that. The sports in this part of the world (mainly union and league) do that on a smaller scale but when things get tough the clubs can pull the media ban or close up. Secondly the journalists bring this up every so often either when they are having issues getting stories or getting frustrated or have recently gone over to the States. They push this as it helps grow the game.

I agree with that in that if the players want more money they should be promoting it. The other thing though is the journalists push it but we need to remember it suits them as they get more stories and interviews.

Now with social media more fans have access to players than they have ever had. If the fans are wanting blood there are probably a few fans getting harassed by trolls and not looking into their social media accounts for a few weeks.

If the media and fans want blood it makes sense for the club to send out the experience guys who can deflect some of the tougher questions with "It's a long season" or "Trust the process, things will turn around".

• List
  4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

You have players getting harassed as well. One player has filed a report with police over a death threat that was made to him online via FB...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

If the media and fans want blood wouldnt it make sense to shut the doors until everything cools down or when you get the win to take the heat off? then open your doors for questioning?

Thats why i didn't understand why there was so much talking by the club. Was it because they were contractually obligated to talk ?

A huge weight is off SK's shoulders after that win. I could sense it in the match interview. He was still mumbling away at
    some of the answers but in a feel good kinda way.

6. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

The guy probably lost money on the Warriors. Thats the other dangerous thing about sports betting. You become a target when people have money on you to perform.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

Would that be the player who gestures to the haters when he scores tries?

Why fans take it the extra step too far...I'll never know. That's what this forum is for!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I would say the club is obligated to do a specific amount during the week to promote the up coming game and to promote the competition in general. The media guys often complain about bans on certain players or the clubs don't do enough compared to other sports but some of the other sports probably don't have the profile of the NRL so they need the media or like I mentioned for the American clubs that do more the journalists are pushing that as it also suits them.

Social Media does open celebrities up to some people that take things way to far. Movies stars get stalkers while the sport stars will get people that take the results way to personally either as they are like that or they may have lost money from a bet.

Hearing of someone being harassed to the point of death threats isn't good to read. You never know some guy who isn't going well in form could be under stress for something just like that. We all critique guys form but we never know what is happening off the field that could affect their form like relationship breakups, family deaths etc.

The other point with social media. I saw an interview around a movie star and the movie studio wanted to use or have access to his social media accounts for him to promote the movie. The actors response was no that fan base is mine which I have built up myself if you want me to promote using that you will need to pay me. Obviously most actors would post that they are filming at a specific place, post pictures etc as it helps their brand and will do a bit to push their movie.

The point for the above is more related to the salary cap and the control sporting organizations put over players and clubs. The players earnings are restricted around the cap and TPA's but now with social media they get the opportunity to build their brand themselves instead of just being on the various media outlets if they are lucky enough to be chosen.

Also if there is a chance for them to earn from their own brand. The NRL would likely want to crack down on that which presents an interesting debate. One of the issues that caused the Super League war was the ARL controlling all of the branding, clubs revenue from merchandise etc. A bit of a rant but it does present an interesting debate on how things may work in the future.

• List

9. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I'm still not sure its a smart idea to make a half mumbling coach accessible to the media each week. They should have a better stratey on how they go about promoting the game.

If the club is under attack like it has been the last few weeks. Shut the shop down. Maybe pay some $$$ and make a few good ads on tv. Promoting the game by giving impromptu interviews is risky. To me it can be counterproductive. Its all about perception and I'm not sure SK or the big brass have a good awareness of their perception right now.

Seriously JD needs to whisper in SK's ear about getting some speech training. Nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. Its an area he needs to improve on as a head coach. Get better each day. As a player, coach and person.

10. kos
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2013

kos 1st Grade Fringe

Media training. I watched both SK and Neil Henry press conferences.
    Henry is a good calm communicator. SK definitely needs media training that interview with dale budge on radio sport he sounded like he had been driven to drink!

11. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

People have insecurities and use their pastimes to fill the void in their souls. That's how keyboard warriors are created. They let their real life frustrations out into a place where they can safely get away with it. Some get so engrossed in their cyber-life that they forget it's not reality and behave like children.

• List
  12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

To be fair the vast majority of media the players do is through the clubs own media machine. Every single post from the club online directs you to their official site where questions are asked by their own media manager in the comfort of Mt Smart Stadium. Even Simon Mannerings interview of the boys not doing enough was done by the club and only because of the recent despondency of fans. Bar the odd interview with Veitchy or the NZ Herald (minor sponsor of the club) you very rarely see the players isolated and being asked the real hard questions...

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  13. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

No disrespect but I don't agree. Cyber-life is merely another medium to communicate. Some people (like yourself) make that distinction between cyber-life and reality which is half the problem. They know there's less consequences to what you say on line. Which is dangerous. Cyber bullying at school for example is a bib thing now. It can have massive consequences to a kids life. Stick and stones may break your bones and words will always hurt me.(?)

Personally I think the younger generation see the cyber world as an extension of their "real" life.The oldies still don't. It's interesting. I think cyber world will evolve over time and more closely "monitored" "regulated" " policed" whatever you want to call it. Some little guru kid will come up with a program to take the cyber world to the next level.