General Discussion ARL Ownership - Back To The Future

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Johnnyray, May 2, 2018.

1. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

ARL Ownership - Back To The Future

League: Confirmed - Warriors SOLD !!!
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Vodafone Warriors executive chairman Jim Doyle confirmed today that after working with various interested parties, both within New Zealand and internationally, over the last few months the club has been sold to Carlaw Heritage Trust, and Autex Industries Limited.

The sale sees the Vodafone Warriors become formally integrated into New Zealand's rugby league landscape.

Founded in 1909 and supported by the assets of Carlaw Heritage Trust, Auckland Rugby League is the governing body and administrator of the game of rugby league across the Auckland region.

It is partnering in the acquisition with Autex, a widely respected New Zealand business with a long history of supporting rugby league.

Autex were a pioneering sponsor of New Zealand's national rugby league team in the late 1970s and 1980s and have continued to be enthusiastic supporters of rugby league.

Autex have more recently been a jersey sponsor of the Kiwis and are currently the naming sponsor of 'Autex House', a residential Auckland property providing home-away-from-home accommodation and life skills to some of the Vodafone Warriors' most promising young players.

Eric Watson acknowledged the support the club has enjoyed throughout his association and expressed the belief that the ownership change is in the best interests of the club.

"After 17 years I am proud to have played a part in the development of rugby league in New Zealand," he said.

"The Vodafone Warriors have significant engagement within our sporting, business and social communities.

"The decision to sell was not an easy one and although I will always be a passionate supporter of the club, I believe the time is right to hand the club over to a new owner. "It is particularly pleasing to see the club formally become part of rugby league's local governing body and administrator. The new owner is certainly passionate about the game and, with the addition of the club, it is now genuinely placed to support and grow rugby league from its grassroots through to what is the pinnacle of the sport's international club competition.

"I wish the new owners all the best. I also thank and acknowledge Jim and the board for their efforts over recent seasons which is certainly paying dividends as this season unfolds.

"Jim's commitment and leadership brought operational and financial stability to the club, in particular with preserving as its home Mount Smart Stadium and being actively involved in driving the financial benefits to the club of the NRL's new club funding model," said Watson.

The change of ownership brings with it a change of board members with Jim Doyle and all fellow directors other than chief executive Cameron George stepping down and the new owner appointing new directors.

Source : Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

:bag:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
  2. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome. Here's link to Autex/Auckland Rugby League press conference :

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Go Auckland Warriors !!! Long may you run ... ;)

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin One Sock, Two Sock, Red Sock, Blue Sock

I honestly hope this all works out. The devil will be in the detail, but I have a bad feeling about this.

4. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Life after Jim Doyle...

I'd feel a lot better if he was staying on board.

5. Juno
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2018

Juno Warriors Bench Player

Maybe, hopefully, he is selected as the independent board member. It's change of ownership formality for the current board to go, and since he's given away his ownership share he has no conflict in being on the new board? Fingers crossed....

6. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

"George's position is expected to be safe until at least the end of the season. However, Brian Smith's role as general manager of football could be in jeopardy if former Kiwis coach Graham Lowe, who has been involved in the trust's bid, takes a hands-on role"

This line in the stuff article sent a shiver up my spine...

7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

If we lose Brian Smith for Graham Lowe it will seal our fate. It will be prove beyond doubt that the ARL have learnt absolutely nothing from their last failed attempt at owning the club.

I'm going to play nice and give them a chance at making this a success but if Lowe becomes our Football Manager the knives will be out...

8. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

Totally agree Welly. Brian Smith seems at this stage to have been a coup for the organisation, and having Lowes involvement would be going straight back to the dark old days.

The other read between the lines was "Georges position being safe until at least the end of the season". Why come in to an organisation that is finally achieving well on and off the field (albeit for a short period), and publicly put the CEO on notice?

9. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Glad it's all over.

Lowe has had quite a few health scares in the last few years hasn't he? Don't know if a job at the club would be the best idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Didn’t Robinson get asked about Lowe’s involvement on the news?? (Was feeding the child so only half listening)

Edit - listened on demand what he said. Said he talks sense but he was a 70 year old man... then it got ended quickly saying “I don’t need to answer that”

They would be fuckin mad to axe Smith and replace with Lowe who has been out the game for so fricken long!

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

You don't mess with a winning combination. Unless you're one of these spineless people who hates winning of course.

Will be interesting to see if the new owners have the balls to keep the Club at the top of their game.

Or if they make gutless decisions and then fold under the pressure when the bad luck of gutless decisions surely hits.

Can we put up a Brian Smith vs Graham Lowe poll?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  12. Akkerz
    Join:
    Jun 22, 2012

Akkerz 1st Grade Fringe

That's right. Robinson and Macgregor were both very non-committal about Lowe;'s place in the scheme of things. It did come up that Lowe was a great friend of the Robinson family - went to school with him I think. All sounded very vague.

13. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

Ummm I think we'd know the result, no need to.

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 Dr. Process

From Doyles interview he said it was known to the ARL right at the start of the sale process last year when they were first involved, that he would be stepping down when they were sold anyway. He talked about semi retirement and possibly doing a few consultancy roles for other organisations.

Gotta remember hes pretty wealthy and getting on in age. So guess we just take him by his word about winding down, and not any notion that he doesn't vibe with the ARL.

15. Juju
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

Juju 1st Grade Fringe

If you email Doyle now his email address is already on auto reply saying he has ceased his role and to email another warriors contact on anything Warriors.
    Ruthless.

16. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 Dr. Process

If you watch the Doyle interview on Warriors app, it's all explained pretty well.

17. the borg
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

the borg 1st Grade Fringe

I wonder if they will keep the "NZ Warriors" tag or is it bak to "Auckland Warriors" or something else... May be a case of name ownership rights..

18. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

Graham Lowe is a fossil and not up to speed with the modern game.

I agree if they got rid of Smith to get Lowe in it would signal that the ARL are as incompetent as we think.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. the borg
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

the borg 1st Grade Fringe

I wonder if Eric might buy bak the club nice and cheap again in say 5yrs time...

20. Warriorholic
    Join:
    May 4, 2012

Warriorholic 1st Grade Fringe

Man what a mess, right when we are having our best start to a season ever.