General Discussion Auckland Waterfront Stadium

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by STEEDEN, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

I don't really think the NZR's accountants would worry if they got 45,000 people to Eden Park or 45,000 people to a purpose built new stadium.

Since any stadium would be away from EP, the #1 ground can stay until the new stadium is completed. The ground under #2 can be sold off now or redeveloped to pay for the new stadium. When the new one's completed, EP #1 can be sold or redeveloped and paid back to whoever has funded the new Stadium.

My biggest concern is that NZ Cricket or Auckland Cricket insist that any new stadium can also take cricket games due to them holding an interest in EP.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Couldnt the council just stop maintaining the place like they threatened to do with Mt Smart? That would force it to shut down. Rugby to Albany, cricket to Western Springs while the new stadium is built...

3. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

yes, and for only $10k they can get a covered stand on the other side of Albany Stadium.

4. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Last time I looked through the annual reports, the EPTB, and not the council, pay for the maintenance. Council and government should just say that they will never contribute any further money to it for upgrades so if NZ Cricket or NZ Rugby ever want to have anything big at it again, they'll have to find the funds.

• List
  5. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Yes, but it is only possible all the time that no interest is being paid off of the loans (not to mention capital!)

6. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

from the article, it seems that NZ goverment has 5 shareholders on the board and has therefore taken over all financial responisbility, and now are trying to push that onto Auckland Council.

"Part of the reason the Auckland Council hasn't jumped at taking on full responsibility for Eden Park is that by having the right to appoint the majority of trustees it would have additional legal obligations in governance and finance under the Local Government Act, given that the stadium would effectively become another Council Controlled Organisation."

Or does this not apply at national level?

7. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

isnt it funny that they have written off the bulk of the debt, they now only owe $40 Million (only) and they still cant make it work. They must have known about this for a really long time. These things dont come out of the blue.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Has to make you wonder what deals were negotiated with local and central governments regarding the paying back of the capital and interest. Try not paying your tax or rates and see what happens!!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • List

9. Whiteknight
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2016

Whiteknight NSW Cup Player

Just build a stadium with a roof on it down by Britomart, and a decent concourse with food and drinking establishments, close to public transport and the viaduct.
    Do it now before the Americas cup rocks around and we will have one hell of a good drinking area to play in.
    Flatten EP, build a shit load of apartments, really high to piss the locals off as they moan about everything anyway, and that will pay for it
    done deal

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  10. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Mike, what does the unitary plan say?

11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

If only it were that easy but thats exactly what they should be planning on. Eden Park was a white then and from the sounds of things its about to have a baby. Get rid of it...

• List
  12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

What I was meaning about Alliannz is that at least it is designed for rugby and league. ANZ definitely isn't.

13. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

It's zoned "PARK" or "Open Space - Sports and Active Recreation Zone" depending on if you look at the planning maps or search for it under it's address so the zoning would need to be changed for any dwellings.

Three sides of the park are all zoned "Residential H3 - single dwelling" but on the other side of Sandringham Road is mixed residential and business zones.

Single dwelling only allows for 8 - 9 metre high dwellings and a minimum site size of 600m² so I suspect that any change would try to get it rezoned to the Residential H6 - Terrace Housing and Apartment Building Zone.

Be interesting what the neighbours to the park would rather have - low to medium rise apartments or a stadium - beside them.

14. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

My bet is they will be all for the stadium to be replaced with apartments...just to get rid of the inconvenience of having lights and noise 20 odd times a year. Then when the stadium is knocked down they will bitch and moan to have it changed to single level as they will be getting sun that some of them haven't seen before because of the great big stands!!!

Then you will find that some of the residents will also be tree hugging hippies that will protest about a new stadium on the waterfront being an eyesore, blocking views of the harbour etc and it being a waste of ratepayers money. I hate these people!

15. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

I lived in 2 locations near eden park, the first 1 street away (Onslow Road) the other, just down sandingham road, on Gribblehurst Rd. Most of the time the stadium was a massive non event. For big games though it turned the area into a shit of a place. We would have people park right accross our driveway, because they were late for games and couldnt be bothered walking further. Never had issues with drunks or noise. A party on Dominion road would keep me up way more often than anything at the park.

I didnt go there that often so most times when the ABs played i would have been home and if it werent for the traffic you really dont notice.

And of course even back then most of the time it was empty and unused so again easily ignorable.

Personally i hate it because its a shit ground to view games at. I also hate how its used as the national stadium, but owned by Cricket and Rugby. I honestly believe that if they had closed all parking for a kay around it whenever a game was on and forced people to use public transport to get to the gate things might have gone differently for it. Lastly those people that live right next to the stadium, well its the same as the zoo. The zoo was there first. You moved to it, stop your moaning. Hate people who try and gentrify an area by killing all the character it has.

PS> i hope they do close it and build a waterfront stadium.

p.p.s to answer Wellington warriors question, they will end up hating apartments more.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  16. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Hilarious is the word i'd use to describe it, ain't karma a bitch:hilarious:

17. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Public money being pumped into stadiums, a problem that's not exclusive to New Zealand
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  18. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

What did the Dunedin stadium cost? And can it be built to fit 55000+ at an acceptable cost?

• List
  19. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

When the council was pushing us towards Eden Park and promising great deals for moving there I was wandering how can they deliver that when the park is owned by a private trust. Sure the Trust owe a lot of money for the improvements but there were also articles where it seemed like they were digging their heels in on some things like the suggestion it should come in house like the other Council stadiums. Reading today's article it looks like the Government and the Council have quite a bit of a say on the park.

A new stadium will take some planning and a lot of capital. It would also take a year or so to build. So hopefully a decision on location, size of the stadium etc can be made soon. The way things are going we are going to have some really run down stadiums by the time we decide to do something.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Auckland actually has more problems than a rugby stadium right now. Let the bloody thing rot, we have MSS.