Ben Matulino

1. Spence
    Join:
    Mar 31, 2012

Spence Sgt. Pepper

Matulino creates an NRL first in 100th game

Tuesday 19 June 2012 6:05 PM
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Vodafone Warriors prop Ben Matulino created an even more significant slice of history than initially thought when he appeared in his 100th NRL game in Saturday night’s encounter with Cronulla.
    Checks have confirmed he didn’t merely become the first Vodafone Junior Warriors NYC graduate to play 100 first-grade games for the club; he is indeed the first NYC product from all 16 clubs to achieve the feat since the Toyota Cup’s came into existence five years ago.
    A foundation NYC player in 2008, Matulino also made his first-grade debut as a 19-year-old the same season.
    Having played every match in 2010 and 2011 – 53 in all – the Wellington-born and raised forward started the 2012 season with 86 appearances, two more than Parramatta halfback Chris Sandow, a South Sydney NYC player in the under-20 competition’s opening season.
    In his 14th game of the year on Saturday night – his 67th consecutive appearance – Matulino became the 20th player to reach the 100-game mark for the Vodafone Warriors since the club’s debut in 1995.
    Sandow, who has played 12 times for the Eels this year, is set to become the next NYC graduate to bring up his 100th appearance, sitting on 96 at the moment.
    It says much for the Vodafone Warriors’ commitment to its development policy that Matulino’s front row partner Russell Packer is in line to become the third NYC product to amass 100 NRL appearances. Packer, like Matulino, also made his NRL debut in 2008 and currently sits on 91 NRL games.
    Matulino, only 23, has the further distinction of having already played in 12 Tests for the Kiwis including the 2010 Four Nations final triumph against Australia at Suncorp Stadium.
    Other NYC graduates closing in on 100 NRL games are Brisbane hooker Andrew McCullough (91), his team-mate and Kiwi back rower Alex Glenn (89) and Canterbury-Bankstown prop Aiden Tolman (89).
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. KingBubz
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

KingBubz 1st Grade Fringe

3. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

This guy is on the way to a superb career.
    He would make any 17 in the NRL.

• List
  4. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Matulino#1 1st Grade Fringe

He has also rediscovered his offloading game.

5. Magic Stick
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Magic Stick 1st Grade Fringe

Best prop in the game...And the best yet to come

6. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

Congratulations to Iron Shoulder and the club in general.

7. Spence
    Join:
    Mar 31, 2012

Spence Sgt. Pepper

It's exciting to think that he probably hasn't reached his potential yet either.

8. Numbnutsnz
    Join:
    May 4, 2012

Numbnutsnz 1st Grade Fringe

We can never let him go. He should be in the same group and Shaun and Konrad.

9. krs_64
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

krs_64 Waterboy

Wow first player huh, mean! Benny been in fine form, arguably one of the best props in the comp.

10. Dankokoro 2.0
    Join:
    Apr 11, 2012

Dankokoro 2.0 1st Grade Fringe

Legend..

How good was his big hit montage on gameday??

11. Spence
    Join:
    Mar 31, 2012

Spence Sgt. Pepper

12. Nekminit
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

Nekminit Waterboy

Congrats to Big Ben!!

simply the best

13. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

A train spotters Stat if ever there was one...not having a go at the thread , the man deserves all the plaudits.

I'm all for Matulino , has to be our best at the moment aye. But the first NYC player to crack one hundred games is a bit obscure in the greater scheme of things.

14. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

"This will be the year that Ben Matulino is finally recognised as one of the best props in the sport. All that is required is for him to continue his form of the past two seasons, and for the pundits to wake up to his excellence."

Amen, brother.

15. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

He's a bit late isn't he- everyone already knows Benedict is the man

• List
  16. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

not really, he is well respected by fans but the aussie media barely mention him

• List
  17. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Maybe on this side of the Tasman...

I remember watching a Test Match not long ago at all (can't remember which one though), and Ray Warren was publicly stating his surprise that Matulino was in the Kiwis side, only for him to be corrected by Sterlo who said he was an excellent player.

• List
  18. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Sam Rapira is the Man and the Warriors best Prop according to one of the Aussie legends I was listening too........I'm about 90 / 10 that it was Fittler who rated him as the best Prop in the World because of the speed Rapira can get to his feet and play a ball.

Fittler or Johns......like I say I can't be 100 % but only players of that Marquee get my attention over there.

Which ever of the two it was claimed that Rapira can take a Storm pack apart because of his blinding speed and efficiency........big raps........I rate Ben as the Current Title holder but Sam is the Champ of the division laid flat by injury,

Head to head it's Rapira for mine....however I'm not suggesting when the records are compared after both retire that Matulino won't be the Winner.......we all hope both are our starting Props for the whole season.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  19. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Man when Rapira is healthy he is such a boss, I agree. Some people have forgotten just how good he can be. Seriously if Mutts, Rapira, Lillyman and Packer are all the top of their game that is a frightening prospect for any opposition team imo.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  20. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

If Sam was 3-4 inches taller and a 5 kilo's heavier he'd be the best prop in the world hands down, but because of his lean frame he has to charge at the line like a mad man to make good meters, which he does no doubt, but it's taking a real toll on his body.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List