Ben Matulino

1. Leaguegod
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2015

Leaguegod 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

He is only 29 is best years are ahead of him, it beggars belief Doyle/Kearney/George/Iro couldn't see that, fucken disgraceful

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. Leaguegod
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2015

Leaguegod 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

• List
  3. Centurion
    Join:
    Oct 14, 2015

Centurion 1st Grade Fringe

And a car?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

Hate the fact that in a pack lacking "big bodies" we're letting probably our biggest body go. Then again Ben for mine has looked like he's been in cruise mode for a few seasons now instead of the pack leader that he should have been. Will probably benefit getting out of this enviroment

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Old Sid
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Old Sid 1st Grade Fringe

With you all the way... cruise mode for far too long and going through the motions. He's certainly not a leader. Simon tries to turn around the ship week after week, not Ben. Team not trying, Ben not trying....

Best of luck to him. We need fresh blood.

• List
  6. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

You might be right, but to be fair, the club probably knows more about his knees than we do. If they thought the same, surely they'd be dropping the cash to keep him - on his day Ben is a beast. I just fear that we may have already seen 'his day' due to the bung knees.

Will be pulling for 'Wests Warriors' next year. They almost look more like the Warriors than the Warriors at this point. Wouldn't be hard to jump on board with them as a 'second team' at all.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  7. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Ben's idea of leading was taking his two proteges out for a night of tramadol and red-bull.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

I think it's pretty clear Ben wasn't having fun with his football. Packer and Rapira leaving I'm guessing contributed to it. Him and Rusty will be an absolute force next season.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Car was essentially a freebie anyway. Would have just carried on his current TPA with Auckland City Toyota that both he and Hoffman got...

• List
  10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

If I were the Tigers I would be worried about the Rusty effect. My problem is not so much that they have let Ben go, but that they did so without having a replacement.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  11. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

I think there's a difference between "letting someone go" and someone that wants to go, I think Ben was the later I seem to recall we only just held on to him last contract as he wanted to follow Ivan to the Panthers.

• List
  12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

We shouldn't have let him go either, but I get your gist, cheers.

• List
  13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Ben wanted to reunite with his dad at the Panthers but was convinced otherwise after Doyle sold him the vision for the club. Guess Ben didn't see it. Was shocked to hear that story.

Sure if Mannering wasn't getting paid a good chunk of change he would have left as well...

• List
  14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I cannot see too many players falling for Doyle's spin now. It seems like Kearney is our future, for better or for worse.
    Off topic, but I remember reading that Mannering was number one on Ivan's shopping list...by a country mile.

• List
  15. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Ben leaving is best for him and the club. TBH I wouldn't say he has earnt a 250k upgrade in contract over the past couple seasons, but there's no doubting what he does on the field.

Both him and the club need a fresh start, pretty obvious to see. Good luck Ben, hope you get back to being on of the comps premiere props. Will be weird seeing him in those terrible Tigers shirts..

• List
  16. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

It will be interesting to see how he goes next year. A change of scenery would do him good. Also interesting to see how he goes fitness wise with the speculation around the state of his knees.

As a Warriors supporter seeing him go well somewhere else will be a bit hard to take. But for depth for the Kiwis it would be good to see him back to his best.

• List
  17. Crappy McFukkup
    Join:
    Jun 28, 2016

Crappy McFukkup Warriors Bench Player

Quality footballer no doubt ... Taumolo 2016/2017 aside there is no better rounded forward in league than Ben at his best. He can hit like a freight train, offload with the best of them and he's just a menace when he's in the mood.

I reckon he finds his best again at the Tigers, and personally I can't wait to see him dishing it up on D ... I just hope he can bury that right shoulder right into Billy "The Real Grub" Slater's sternum on one of those inside ruck trick-plays they like to do ... If only Manu wasn't "star struck" and smashed Slater as hard as he could that fateful Anzac night match in Melbourne 2015(?), then the career of that; cheap-shot, ankle locking, heel-hooking QLD Grub could already be done and dusted... Maybe Benny can find his best and slap a brutal shot on Slater the Grub to finish him once and for good (before the Origin series ideally - thanks Ben).