General Discussion Benji Reckons Rusty Packer Chance for Kiwis

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by Tyrael, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Tyrael
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Tyrael 1st Grade Fringe

The Kiwis must be desperate if they need Packer to be part of the pack...

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Contented off the field, Russell Packer is still intent on repaying the faith.

Packer has played every game this year for the Dragons, a return on investment for the club's patience while he was denied an NRL return last season.

But there is still a finals tightrope to walk, let alone the prospect of earning a place in New Zealand's squad for the Four Nations in England in October and November.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    HANNAH JOHNSTON/GETTY IMAGES
    Russell Packer made his name at the Warriors before crossing the ditch to join the Knights, though he'd never play a game for Newcastle.

Packer has built a new life for himself and his family, after the turmoil and uncertainty when he was jailed for an assault in Sydney in 2013.

NICK MOIR/FAIRFAX MEDIA
    Russell Packer was jailed for a 2013 assault in Sydney, Australia.

"After everything I've been through, I'm just happy playing NRL and trying to my best for the Dragons, week in, week out," he said.

"If the opportunity came up, of course I wouldn't turn down the black [New Zealand] jersey, but it's not something driving me.

"I'm at a different place in my life where I'm focused on my family and football.

"If I did get selected [for New Zealand], I'd love to take the opportunity, but if I don't, I won't be losing sleep."

After being released from jail, Packer's return to the NRL was held back, training by himself then playing with the Illawarra Cutters before the legal and rehabilitation considerations were finalised.

Now his focus turns to leading from the front, following St George Illawarra's stumble in the 36-6 loss to Manly prior to the bye.

As it stands, the Dragons are eighth on the ladder, almost certainly needing to win five of their remaining games to qualify, starting with Friday night's clash with the Gold Coast at Kogarah.

Packer firmly believes the Dragons can make a late surge into September.

"We feel as a group that if we play our best football, we can make a surge into the top eight," Packer said.

"But we can only do that by winning games."

While Packer is unconcerned about higher honours, another former Kiwi international and teammate Benji Marshall backs the prop to lead their finals charge.

Marshall labelled Packer "one of the standouts" of St George Illawarra's season.

But it's Packer's professional attitude which has made Marshall a believer.

"His form has been good enough," Marshall said.

"He's been one of the standouts of the year for us.

"I've known Russell for a while, he's so professional now in the way he trains and he's one of the guys who leads the way by his actions.

"I think think that in itself justifies why he wouldn't be out of place [playing for New Zealand again]."

Packer offered an insight into the soul-searching the players did during the bye week, after their capitulation to Manly.

"It's one of those performances that makes everyone scratch their heads," he said.

"In saying that, the only way you can answer those kind of doubts is to get back out there and perform."

2. Marshthedarsh
    Join:
    Aug 12, 2012

Marshthedarsh 1st Grade Fringe

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Benji is a terrible commentator on the game. Is he suggesting that Rusty will get a spot over Jesse Bromwich, Ben Matulino, Adam Blair, Sam Moa or Greg Eastwood? Not a chance in hell.

And what insight does he have into the Kiwis camp? He's been out of the Kiwis circle for years...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

and won't be going back while Kearney is in charge.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

JWH would probably be recalled ahead of Packer (which I can't see happening).

Kasiano, Kenny Bromwich are also probably well ahead of Packer in the pecking order.

And that's before we start thinking about back rowers like Taupau who might get a run at prop because we're stacked on the edges and at lock (Proctor, Harris, Taumalolo, Mannering etc).

• List
  6. 6 Again
    Join:
    Sep 29, 2015

6 Again 1st Grade Fringe

Yes he's been solid for the Dragons in his first year back in the Nrl but he's still well down in the pecking order.

Nelson Asofa Solomona is another one that is probably ahead of Packer.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  7. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

Surely even McKendry is higher in the Kiwis propping order than Packer, and he's barely a starting prop at this point.

• List
  8. Tyrael
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Tyrael 1st Grade Fringe

I'd even have Vete over him!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

9. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

stop poaching players from other countries ;)

10. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

Just sounds more like a team mate talking up another team mate to me, a nothing story really.

Agree with the terrible commentator line, Ennis shits all over him on NRL 360. Asshole pest he may be, but man he's articulate and makes a lot of sense talking about the game.....u can see a broadcast career unfolding for him when he hangs up the boots.....better than Braith and co that's for sure...

• List
  11. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

I think Benji is right Packer should piss in.

12. Trugoy
    Join:
    Apr 3, 2016

Trugoy 1st Grade Fringe

To be fair all he said was Packer wouldn't be out of place playing for NZ again. He didn't say pick him over anyone else.

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Articulate, but a serious sledger, as in first class even by Aussie standards.

14. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

If the Four Nations are in the UK....would Packer even be allowed in the country??