Blake Green

1. James W
    Join:
    Jul 11, 2013

James W 1st Grade Fringe

Bugger that. Would rather he played regular season footy over that period.

2. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Not sure logically how realistic greens shot at origin really is, NSW need to be building a long term option and I’m not sure Green at 31 is that

3. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

Green has played first reciever 7 for every game this season?? SJ played 5/8 link the first 3 games.

4. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

True what I was meant to say is do the lions share of the Kicking

5. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

Oh definitely, SJ's kicking can be long but is usually pretty aimless and straight to the man.

6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Think every Warrior fan would be the same but I'd love for him to play at least one game. Most Aussie league fans still see it as the pinnacle of the game and it would be awesome to see him realise what must have been an impossible dream not so long ago.

Nathan Cleary is said to be back before SOO starts so we will see but Green is still a few rungs down the ladder. If he keeps playing well and the Warriors keep winning that may change. NSW are always picking flavour of the month halves over building a steady combination...

7. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Just trying to connect a few dots with Greenie, I heard an ex-player the other day say when Blake was younger he could do it all on the training paddock but had difficulty transferring it on game day, it was an interesting observation I thought.

Last week in the post match presser he was prompted by a journalist to answer a question around who had influenced him most in his career, the answer Joe Wehbe “the football whisperer” apparently he’s a good mate of his. It wasn’t the the answer I was expecting.

For those that aren’t familiar Joe Wehbe is a mercurial figure in rugby league circles over here who has worked with players on the mental side of their games, it seems likely to me almost beyond anything else that Green struggled under the pressure of the Nrl in a key position early on in his career and probably needed time in the ESL to mature and find himself and his game, he’s obviously continued on that theme since his return to the Nrl.

Sounds strange but at 31 we could be set to get the best of Blake Green, all the pieces have come together, the Boffins for the NSW Blues have finally taken notice. Interesting times.

8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

He has come out saying that in the past he was intimidated by other players including his own teammates. Insecure thinking he didn't deserve to play with them...

9. James W
    Join:
    Jul 11, 2013

James W 1st Grade Fringe

Oh, for sure. I agree on the sentimentalilty of that side of it.

I just want this team to keep winning

10. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Blake Green, love him.

He’s like a non smart arse Maloney - (caveat) so far.

If I cared what he thought, I’d ask Matty Johns what happened to Blake’s, RTVS’s, Harris’, Pulu’s and Blair’s careers when they came here - they don’t look dead to me.

W@#ker.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

There is definitely a bit of Maloney about him.

12. theleagueguy
    Join:
    May 9, 2015

theleagueguy 1st Grade Fringe

The year before last year Matthew Johns was praising our development of Chad Townsend & James Maloney so yes not the most accurate analyst around.

13. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Had to have a bit of a laugh at this interview with Mannering. Take a look in the background to see Greenie roaming around in his gruds then sharing a bit of a (pg) man love moment with Kearney. Obviously the bond is strong!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Makasene
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Makasene 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Blake Green: I wasn’t sure how NZ Warriors would go
    Author:
    Hayley Byrnes

Fri 13 Apr 2018, 10:01 AM
    In an off-season where several high-profile playmakers changed clubs, Blake Green's switch from Manly to the Warriors did not receive the attention devoted to the likes of Cooper Cronk, Mitchell Pearce, James Maloney, Kieran Foran, Matt Moylan and Ben Hunt.

But long-suffering Warriors fans have been given plenty to cheer about with Green's sudden impact at the club.

The journeyman five-eighth, who joined the Warriors on a three-year deal after gaining an early release from the Sea Eagles, is being touted as a club saviour and now a possible NSW Origin selection.

Green has played a big hand in steering the Auckland-based franchise to opening their 2018 Telstra Premiership season undefeated heading into Saturday’s clash with Brisbane at Mt Smart Stadium.

For Green, it’s a flattering when the topic is brought up.

"Obviously, it's great to have my name suggested for Origin, it's normally only the young kids that get tossed up for it. In saying that, not everything has gone to plan in my career, I've sort of done it backwards having had to go overseas and play," Green told NRL.com.

"As a kid, playing Origin was something I always wanted to do but for now I just need to keep playing well for the Warriors, there's a lot of talented halves that are more than capable of doing the job."

If both the Warriors and St George Illawarra Dragons win this weekend, it would set up an epic round-seven showdown between the NRL's two unbeaten sides.

Green could have only fantasised about his stellar season so far, right?

"Obviously, this is a dream start for us. I wasn't sure how we were going to go, to be honest," Green said.

"Everyone talked about how hard we trained in the preseason, but everyone trains hard. It's only when you start playing footy you can really gauge where you're at."

Sitting second on the ladder means it has gone well not just for Green, but the entire squad. The Warriors lead the League in post-contact metres with 2,510 and with their 85 off-loads.

"We came up with a style of footy that would suit us. It's different to what we've done in the past, there were a few things we had to find out about ourselves," Green said.

"The start we've had has given us belief and trust in each other which is really important."

At 31, Green sits alongside Adam Blair, 32, is one of the more experienced heads at the Warriors.

Having started his NRL career in Parramatta in 2007, then doing the rounds via Canterbury, Cronulla, Super League, Melbourne, and Manly, he has the wisdom to know what positive development within a side looks like.

"I think mentally the boys are tougher, they're more resilient. They're more resilient now than when I first joined the club," he said.

A lot of discussion has also surrounded the Warriors' new post-points action. You’ll often find the team huddled together after a try, or when Shaun Johnson is lining up to slot over a penalty.

"It's just a reset for us. It's something we tinkered with. It's been documented Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.(current All Blacks captain.) We had a few open conversations with him about what we were missing and what we needed as a group, and concentration was one of them.

"He suggested we do it (the breathing technique) occasionally, but now it's something we're doing all the time," he laughs.

"It just takes the anxiety and the adrenalin rush out of everything and gives us a moment to chat about what's important and what our next focus is."

15. Makasene
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Makasene 1st Grade Fringe

Haha that is great to see. Winning fixes everything

16. leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

Looks like Pearce suffered a pec tear in tonights game v Tigers and could be out for up to 3 months. There's a good chance that Green could partner Maloney in the halves for NSW now.

17. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Bluetiful, Just Bluetiful!

Selfishly, I hope not.

18. leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

I can definitely understand that. Part of me wants him to just continue doing what he's doing with us and only us, but another part of me wants to see him tear it up in arguably the biggest event in the Rugby League calendar.

I'm also a NSW supporter so there's that too :)

19. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

I think they'll go Maloney / Keary or Maloney / Brooks

20. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Me too think Greens to old to start building a team with