1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

With four clubs (reportedly) after Abbeys signature is he one that we don't want to let get away.

I can think of players in our squad I'd happily release just to see if Abbey has the right stuff or not...

What are his strengths and weaknesses anyway?

2. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

Would like to see the lad given a shot but most young guns with his ability are already playing top level by his age.
    He may be a slow developer so would hold him for another year.

3. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Would prefer to keep, but can understand the move.

The other thing is what Abbey wants. He might not want to stay, especially if it means getting wedged into a position he doesn't want to play.

The reality is we have a lot of talent in the outside backs, so he might not see a place for him, and unless we have plans to move RTS to five eight and give Abbey fullback I'm not sure he will be better than our other back options.

4. warrior4life
    Join:
    May 30, 2014

warrior4life 1st Grade Fringe

You serious? Slow developer..... Mate how many 18 year olds are playing nrl? I'd say you could count them on one hand. Give him two more years of 20's and NSW.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I reckon some of our outside back options are pretty weak ATM... Pro-attack/Rookie-defense syndrome has plagued us for a long time. If Abbey developed a strong defense game to go with his obvious flare for attack, and we lose him, it would be truly gutting...

I'd be very happy to see what Abbey can offer us in the higher grades before casting him out...

6. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Shouldn’t even reply to this jibber-jabber but,

1. No team is going to turn over a critical position like fullback next season to a just-turned-19-year-old who isn’t a physical beast yet, he’s good, but he’s not monstrously good like a GI at that age.

2. So best case for him is he is the no 2 fullback, like Lolohea is doing for us at the moment

3. Even then, its much more likely a team will give a more experienced wing or centre a go at it, the knights are playing Gagai instead of Matautia at fullback atm, the bulldogs are playing Sam Perrett there with Morris injured, next year the roosters will probably give Blake Ferguson a shot at their vacancy, and I believe they have a ‘future star’ of their own in the U20s, its very rare to see a teenager chucked into that position, even as the backup. They usually start on the wing.

4. Even the year after that in 2017, he will be 20 for the whole season, as a comparison Moylan was almost 22 before he debuted, so even that might be a year too soon for him.

So, would have no worries at all letting him go, if he can get himself a top 25 contract with another team.
    Auckland born and raised, got the homesickness card to play for 2018, when he realistically might be ready to play a major role.
    Who knows, maybe he returns to replace Vatuvei on the wing, once his new deal runs out, Abbey will be 21 then. He is ridicously young.

I do have an issue with keeping injury liabilities ahead of him, but if they get a good, experienced outside back (like Wright but better) to take his place in the squad, then its worth letting him go.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

I'd like to see what he can do, but he's only signed until 2016. Are we going to throw an 18 year old undersized kid into first grade before he's ready just to see what he can do? And if we do that, what do we offer him? A wing spot? He doesn't want a wing spot and will leave at the end of 2016 anyway.

RTS is an immense talent, and he's a proven talent. As much as I'd like to see Abbey stay, he won't and good luck to him.

8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Maybe Abbeys best position in the NRL is on the wing or in the centers or 5/8th? We don't know and might end up losing a top quality player only to watch him come back and score tries against us...

Maybe one of our outside backs has a long run with injuries and never makes it back to first grade?

We should at least find out what he can do in the higher grades before letting him go...

9. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

we don't need him.

10. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Keep him. He's 18, and our most promising back. As said, he shouldn't be expecting to make first grade for a couple years anyway.

If he's having a sook about bringing arguably the best fullback to the club, I'd be thinking twice though.. I would have thought you couldn't think of a better guy to learn and develop your game along side.

11. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

We don't really have a choice in it. Abbey is on contract until 2016, he's not ready for first grade NOW, and if he doesn't want to stay and play wing when other clubs want him for fullback then he's leaving at the end of 2016 regardless of what we want or do.

We're losing Abbey, for me that's not even a question. The only question is how we make him feel about the club on the way out.

IMO we can either force him to stay an extra year playing lower grades in the hope we need him through injury, or do what's best for him, leave it on the best terms possible so if in a few years he's off contract and we do need him there's no hard feelings between him and the club.

12. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

I had high hopes for Abbey, but thought his defensive attitude was way off this season, in the televised games. He had an opportunity to bust his arse in defence, to add to his attacking prowess, but has seemed arrogantly blase thus far.

13. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

This situation is really an indictment of the NRL contracting system. He is only 18 but we need to have him on a top 25 contract to starve off poachers which means someone older with more experience needs to be on a lower tier contract or needs to be released to accommodate him. Otherwise he gets poached by a club with a spot in their top 25.

At his age he should be left to develop in the Holden Cup, get his education provided through that pathway while staying close to home and then going onto an NRL career. Instead he will most likely get released to finish his development somewhere else.

Letting him go is probably the right thing to do due to the players we already have in those positions and where they already are in their development and the number of relatively inexperienced outside backs we have.

If we want to recruit we will need to let players go and some of them it will be unfortunate.

/minor rant over.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  14. stacky18
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2013

stacky18 1st Grade Fringe

Jeez, the kid is only 18 playing in a development comp. In some ways we are becoming like the football in America where high school kids are held up as saviours of colleges and pro teams.
    This is wrong.
    We need to let him develop into a man before we criticise and debate his options in life.

Snake77 sums it all up perfectly.
    The system is broken and wrong. Gould and Bennett have been very vocal on this topic.
    He was on top 25 last year as well wasn't he? That's $83,000AUD for a 17 year old to play U20's.
    Personally I don't really care if he stays or goes cause I can't predict the future and today we have better players in his position. I just don't agree with the scrutiny this kid is getting when he should be left alone to develop into a man.

• List
  15. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

I have serious doubts he will ever be a consistent first grade fullback, he has the ability, but lacks the instincts and attitude.

I also dont believe we have anywhere near enough outside back talent to be letting a kid with his ability walk away without a fight...he could easily become a top class wing/center with (ridiculous as it seems at the Warriors) the ability to cover fullback.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  16. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Fairly unnecessary heaping pressure on the young fella.. He's a good prospect with a big future but all the hype is unwarranted if you ask me.

We've always had pretty decent fullbacks come out of the 20's system with mixed results in terms of converting 20's success to top grade.

- Locke - Once compared to Billy Slater now plying his trade in ESL.. promise & talent at 20's never amounted to long term NRL success
    - Fisiiahi - Something like 24 games in 4 years.. spectacular at 20's level but injury prone in top grade
    - Slaimankhel - Never really given a chance so departed to Japan now signed by the Roosters.. wait & see before judgement scenario
    - Hiku - Never played top grade for our club snuck under the radar to Manly now an established first grader and International
    - Lolohea - Switched between fullback and stand off at 20's and has played most positions in the backline in top grade, almost as if he hasn't found his position yet but definitely a bright talent

Abbey is a great talent with plenty of years ahead but if he was to develop and prosper with another NRL club system then come back in the future I'd have no issue with that. If he never came back then that's the risk you take, as the saying goes you can't keep them all. It's kinda hard to predict how well some of these young guys will develop and I'd be more then happy if he stayed so not too fussed to be honest.

• List
  17. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

You know, Melbourne had potentially three world class fullbacks. Slater, Inglis, Falou. They were all quite content to play behind each other as they forged their reputations. In some cases, they had to play in different positions, GI for god's sakes played five eighth at times and Falou sat out on the wing.

What is it with this fellow thinking he, at age 18, has to fly the roost to make his name? The reality probably is, if Tui went down injured 2-3 weeks ago, Abbey at age 18 would have been playing first grade fullback.

So in answer to the question, no, he can stew on things until such time as he's old enough to have his nuts drop. I mean, fair dinkum, he's on a full time contract as I understand it, and he's 18, and the club has a high opinion on him. Sure, he may have to start out like Tui as a wing or a centre, if he thinks he's good enough he should stick around. I also don't think any NRL club is in such a state that they'll pop an 18 year old in as their first grade fullback, so what on god's green earth does he gain from leaving anyway?

Pull yer head in son.

• List
  18. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Gould did imply from the very beginning of the U20s that players would have too much pressure put on them too early when their bodies, let alone their brains, weren't really First Grade ready.

Some advocate an official NRL Reserves competition, where players like Abbey could prove/disprove themselves first. I'd like to see a Reserves competition, but I think that bird has flown.

I'd be advising him to stay for another year or two.

• List
  19. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

TIme for a decent B grade comp where players like him can step up and play real mans ball, prove they have the chops. Sick of NSW Cup and Queensland Cup. If they allow a Reserve grade comp, every player on the team can then go on a first grade contract as well as the 25 we have now. Paid according to their skills of course.

20. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I think some players don't ever play their best footy unless they are playing in first grade.

No player grows up seeing them self kicking butt in reserve grade. They imagine the bright lights and the big crowd. Its a mind set thing. So they spend their youth invisiging themselves operating alongside their hero's, guys who execute at the highest level.

So sometimes a player will come along who can only be all they can be when they are in the major league, surrounded by class... Maybe Brad Abbey is one of these guys? Hard to prove he isn't until he gets his shot...