1. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

You started this love affair thread but don't worry, once RTS is carving for us you'll have a new flame.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

I agree with the club. If 80k ain't enough for him at that age, then by all means test the waters. If another club has a desperate need for an underage Fb then all good.

But if his agent had his best interests at heart he'd tell him that no club would start him at Fb unless they had a lot of experienced guys in other positions where his youthful exuberance is required rather than a solid, experienced option.

It's a risk at his age. Look at all the former u20's who left us and played for another nrl club. None of them are standouts. Steve Raps came back. Likiliki. Feki. Ahmau. Evarn Tuimavave. Heaps more. They were all average at best.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

As good of a cover tackle as it was, it was one tackle, the Dragons and the better teams defense is so good because they make tackle after tackle after tackle with absolute desperation and intensity, the Warriors have an inherent tendency to make a few tackles and then the intensity drops, the arm grabbing starts, and the game slips away.

As for Lolohea, i'm more than happy with what he's done this season particularly for a rookie playing out of position, and would be again more than happy to have him play wing for many seasons to come, plus having a winger with enough skill to cover fullback is a must...me saying Abbey has more potential than Lolohea isn't a criticism, it's just an observation.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

Whats going on with Abbey just shows the different ways people think, although Mini was closer to retiring, RTS was willing to bide his time in another position for a couple of years and learn from, at the time a better and more experienced player, so when his shot came he hit the ground running, Abbey has chosen not to do that at the Warriors. It will be interesting to see whether his decision leads him straight into a first grade position or he still gets stuck behind an established player. Good luck to him, especially as I'm happy to have as many Kiwis playing first grade in as many teams and positions as possible to give the national team as many chances to stay #1 as long as possible. If it doesn't work out he won't be the first player with untold potential to disappear.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

It shows how immature Abbey is to be honest. He's 18 and not even close to first grade standard. He's going to be the next Suitonga Likiliki, not the next Pita Hiku, in my opinion. Aside from MAYBE the Eels or Bulldogs if they want to move Morris, I can't really think of another NRL club where Abbey would walk into the number 1 before 2017.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  6. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

Compare Abbey with this dude who is the same age.

Tom Trbojevic

At just 18 years old, Manly's back-line utility Tom Trbojevic possesses a catalogue of skills many seasoned pros would be proud to claim. Standing at 192 centimetres, he towers over opponents and the clean pair of heels he showed in his 90-metre dash off a Thurston intercept was more than impressive. Cowboys five-eighth Michael Morgan can match it with just about anyone in the competition over 100 metres and Trbojevic, with ball in hand, held his own in the race to the opposite try line, only to be denied right at the point of planting the ball. While Manly list Trbojevic as a fullback, he displayed a keen sense of awareness playing out on the fringes on Saturday, covering a deft grubber to the in-goal along with out-leaping the taller Kane Linnett for first hands to a Jamie Lyon kick. Trbojevic also used his big frame (96 kilograms) to help his forward pack by logging over 100 run metres on top of the 90-metre breakaway.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  7. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Point well made. Since you brought it up, this kid Tom Trbojevic has a brother at Manly playing prop who also has big raps on him too.

• List
  8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I thought it was all just rumors about Abbey at this stage... Did I miss something?

9. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

I rate them both- gun players.
    Total opposites- Tom being an elusive outside back and jake a tough forward who hits like a hammer.
    Similar tho in that they're both smart and skillful players.
    A lot of parellels with the stewert bros actually.
    Looking forward to watching their careers unfold.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  10. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

No, i'm pretty sure you've been crying yourself to sleep every night since the rumors started.

11. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Brad Abbey plays like he is today he won't be playing first grade for anyone anytime soon....

Captains challenge has been an absolute balls up by the Warriors today.. Don't challenge the ones they should have and use it when it is a try....dumb!!!

12. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Kevin Locke is the source?

Gaining one full back and losing two, so maybe Locke sniffs a back door opening at the club...

13. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Clubs must be queuing up to make Abbey their first choice fullback after that performance.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  14. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Remember the howls of derision when Seluini left

15. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Potential? How many of our players had potential? Lolo is fulfilling that potential.

Interesting. I don't know what you see in Abbey. People get hyped up when a couple of clubs come knocking. But I saw a couple of his games. He didn't look special.at all. He had some speed. Fish would still beat him in third gear. Lolo kills him for tackle breaks and angle runs.

I'd be interested to know what you see in him? Care to share?

16. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

I was one of them deriding. Now look. I have to say that the club has got it right most if not every time.

17. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Always been 50/50 on Abbey. Does some great individual things, but not so sure those things will translate against NRL defense on a week to week basis where everyone is that little bit bigger, quicker, and organised.

• List
  18. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

I would say bar Hiku and Taukeiaho, the club has been almost perfect in retaining guys from the u20s. We haven't really lost anybody that I'd love to have back aside from those two. Over the years I've come to trust the clubs ability to identify talent in the u20s. Nobody is going to get it right 100% of the time, but our club is going pretty well imo.

• List
  19. Selector
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2015

Selector 1st Grade Fringe

Looks like we can put and end to the debate.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

20. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

Bulldogs and Melbourne huh, thats Bellamy and Hasler chasing him which says it all really.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List