1. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Interesting last line about only a few being kept on from U20's. Thought it was pretty standard for us to only keep a few anyway. sounds like we're being pretty specific with who we keep and who we let go, which IMO is probably a good thing.

2. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

Theres not really much in this crop of 20's worth keeping... and Abbey has his heart set on a NRL starting fullback position, so it's not really worth forcing him to stay if his heart wont be in it.

We have enough of that at the club as it is...lack of heart.

3. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Warriors NSW Cup has been predominantly made up of U20 graduates, maybe they are saying that is no longer going to be the case and they are going to take the best from wherever they can get them.

It would be a break from the philosophy the Warriors had when OG came onboard, developing NZ talent and promoting from within. Instead they may be grabbing under 20s players and veterens/experienced players from other clubs or systems.

4. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

It's a fair comment though.. RTS is only 3 years older than Abbey, has a much higher ceiling and is an established star in the NRL. A small downside for our recent signings.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

One fullback enters, two fullbacks leave.

6. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

No brainer really. RTS over Abbey every day, with no disrespect to Abbey. It's just not a hard decision to make.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

But the net result is positive for the Warriors. RTS is a superstar

• List
  8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

That's not the point tho... We're still short a fullback on the deal...

9. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Abbey is a NYC fullback, not first grade. The NRL side lose nothing. Lolohea will be back up fullback, and Fus/Fish after him.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

We don't need more fullbacks. RTS first, Lolohea as back up, and depending on what we do with Fish he would be a possible option. Then there's whatever fullback we bring into U20's next who I'm sure will get talked up as the next big thing at some point like the rest of them.

Abbey was part of the top 25. Releasing him when he has no short/medium term future that he's happy with will allow us to free up a spot to strengthen a position we do need extra players for.

11. Bmac
    Join:
    Mar 22, 2015

Bmac U20's Player

Tiaan Wilkens would be that up and coming one, he has big wraps.

12. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

I dont think we're losing a fullback as to me he isn't a long term first grade custodian, but he is talented, and he will make a excellent winger, maybe even a center/five eight...that said, he has two of the best three coaches in the world chasing him, so if anyone can bring out the fullback that may be hiding within him, it's those guys.

The Warriors certainly arent in a position to be letting talented, not to mention smart young backs leave, but i have no doubt Abbey has his heart set on the big paycheck that comes with the 1 jersey, and he will have a pretty good road block in front of him for the next few years in RTS.

13. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

I think the problem wasn't so much with Abbey - it's his having a FG contract. I think the Warriors management have decided it's to risky having a player who is so young, and unproven, taking one of a limited number of places. Especially in a position where we are not only going to have the services of one of the top fullbacks in the world but also others who can cover that position - particularly with our lack of depth in the halves and hooker and prop.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  14. Mojo154
    Join:
    Apr 22, 2015

Mojo154 NSW Cup Player

U20s is just a meat market

15. Mojo154
    Join:
    Apr 22, 2015

Mojo154 NSW Cup Player

Maybe in 5 years we might

16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Q and A: Brad Abbey
    By nrlportal
    Updated: November 11, 2015
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Exciting fullback Brad Abbey who joins the club on a three year deal, sits down with Bulldogs.com.au for a Q and A about his move to the proud club.

A star of the Holden Cup, Abbey is viewed as one of the brightest prospects in the game and after siging a three year deal at the Bulldogs, the talented number one discusses his move to the club in a Q and A below.

Why did you choose the Bulldogs?

With Roger Tuivasa Sheck joining the Warriors in 2016 and myself being so young, I thought the opportunity to join the Bulldogs would give me a greater opportunity to play NRL.

I’m definitely excited to join the club and with my brothers being Bulldogs fans, it’s an exciting time for all of us.

How big of an influence was Des?

He was a real big influence on me in making the decision to join the Bulldogs especially when you look at how successful he has been as a coach and as a player.

What excites you about the upcoming pre-season?

I want to focus on my speed and strength and get some more size on me so I can compete at the NRL level, but I’m also looking forward to learning off the experienced players, especially the Morris twins with the wealth of experience they both have from playing Origin and for their country.

How do you keep your feet grounded when you’re labelled a star of the future?

Having the support of my family helps me and they keep me in check by making sure I’m humble and don’t get ahead of myself.

How important have family been in your move?

It’s a big move, but my family have supportive me with my decision and having them come over is real big thing in a young players career.

The support of your family at such a young age keeps you on track and having them move to Australia with me is real important.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  17. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I hope he goes well.

• List
  18. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

It's funny how they Australian Media lost their shit over Latrel Mitchell even as Abbey made him look like a child when the Junior Warriors faced the Roosters in the NYC finals. Then, only as he moves to another club they Aus Media crap their pants over "The future fullback of the Bulldogs."
    Elitists. The lot of them. Warriors ain't gettin' no breaks.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  19. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Abbey looked like he was coasting this season no doubt he's a talented player and good on him for seeking out opportunities elsewhere.

He wouldn't get anywhere near first grade here with RTS on the books but at least he'll be learning from one of the best coaches in the business. Also Brett Morris, Sam Perrett & Curtis Rona will be good tutors for him

Certainly bodes well for the future and benefits the Kiwis.

When RTS's contract is up Abbey might come home as an established first grader.

Look forward to watching his development and progress at the Dogs.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Have the employed him as a coach...he didn't get offered a contract as a player did he?