1. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Abbey wants to focus on speed, strength and size. If I was a Bulldogs fan I would want him to be focusing on defence and doing the basics well.

I personally think that Abbey's future depends on the top two inches

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

2. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

It's always a good thing when our players go offshore and look to embrace the opportunity. As others have said, it's good for the Kiwis and one day it might work out well for us.

The more these kids suceed the better it is for the Warriors.

I used to worry about players coming back to bite us, but nowadays I recon the onus is on the Warriors to not let that happen, if they know an ex Warrior is likely to be a problem then it is about time they aimed up in those circumstance and stomped (figuratively) those players into the ground.

That's how I see it, I hope the players in our club adopt the same mentality, and why not....if the Origin can market itself on mate versus mate, how about out boys have a little pep talk before games around the same motivation.

The key thing for me about us farming out all this talent.....is that I'd rather HQ get it right....no bridges need burning.....they should be sending people off with a smile and a pep talk that is up front and personal in terms of why they are going at this early stage of their careers.....that talk should include a ' the door is open' mechanism for talks if things don't work out.

Always keep channels open, even if it means having to tell people we still don't have an opening, but we haven't forgetten you're good.....etc.

I realise our model was meant to see a plethora of U20's stars populate our Fg side ( especially since they are GF winners) but the dynamic shift to apparently farming players out for other clubs to invest in their development, really deserves exploring.....to me it is preferable to flood the market with our own who might return.....than to constantly chase Aussie stars that never say yes to the Warriors as their first option.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

You can't keep them all and Brisbane has been farming them out for decades. Steve Price was turned down by the Broncos for Shane Webcke...who would you choose of those two?

• List
  4. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

We've been doing a pretty good job of injuring our own players at training lately. So there's no reason why we can't put the hurt on Abby next time he's over here in enemy colors..

Manu giving him the Slater treatment might be a bit OTT, but it is a combat sport after all, so I'd probably cheer it all the same..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Abbey is a special talent, he'll do well imo. Just needs to stay grounded, and not expect to play first in the next season or 2 and do his apprenticeship in reserve grade.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Dangerous
    Join:
    May 22, 2012

Dangerous Warriors Bench Player

I remember the hype around Abby so decided to watch him closely I couldn't believe how slow he was especially for a fullback that's something that will always hold him back

7. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

I'm not sure if Perrett's still on their roster don't really keep tabs on other clubs.

Either way he'll be surrounded by some pretty classy players and coach.

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

he was definitely of contract for next season and I haven't heard they have offered him one...what a waste.

9. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Perrett's been re-signed, not sure for how long, but the news in October was they were going to offer him a two year deal. Just checked - and seems he's contracted until the end of 2017 now.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

He has no manager and does his contract negotiations himself. Thus no song and dance when it comes to business.

11. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Hopefully we get some of the Bulldogs lower grade games shown here next year. It will be interesting to see how he goes over there.

He's being treated like their marque signing. RLW listing each clubs major signings has a piece on him. On that how good would it be to be in the same situation as the Bulldogs; your main signing won't likely play NRL that year. Hopefully one year our squad is strong enough that our main signing will be a promising youngster we've poached from another club to develop and play NRL in a year or two. The Cowboys also had a signing who looked pretty low profile. The benefit of winning a premiership.

Abbey has gone to a club that should develop him well and one of the top coaches. They usually have a decent pack so when he is ready he'll have a good side to play behind.

• List
  12. Centurion
    Join:
    Oct 14, 2015

Centurion 1st Grade Fringe

Interesting Stacy quoted as saying he thinks Abbey needs to bulk up a bit to withstand the rigours of NRL. Dogs are certainly raving about him.

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Interesting, I wouldn't have raved about his performances last year.

• List
  14. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Maybe he thinks that if he works on the speed he will a better chance of running someone down after they run through or past him in the first place?

15. Waiting For Premiership
    Join:
    Jun 11, 2012

Waiting For Premiership 1st Grade Fringe

Canberra Raiders set to sign Brad Abbey
    -
    October 6, 2017 - 9:34 am

The Bulldogs salary cap woes look to have ended, with backup fullback Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. agreeing to join the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. on a two-year deal for 2018.

Speculation has ended that either Link has been hidden. Please Register to view..

The Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. reports that Canberra forward Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. is set to switch to Canterbury as part of the deal.

Priest will reunite with former Canberra assistant coach Link has been hidden. Please Register to view..

In 2014 and 2015, Abbey played for the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.’ NYC team. The Warriors won the 2014 NYC Grand Final, beating the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view..

Abbey, 20, signed with Bulldogs last year on a three-year deal from the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. after Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. signed with the club.

Canterbury had beaten the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. for his signature, however, Abbey only managed four games in his stint with the club.

The talented fullback was hot-property when playing for Warriors, though his past several years have been riddled with injury.

16. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Swap Abbey for Priest and use the balance to free yourself from a salary cap debt, which had meant you were losing a marquee player. Seems legit...

I guess Abbey was commanding huge $$ :D

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List