Player Discussion Brian Smith

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Nov 24, 2017.

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

[Signing] Smith appointed GM - football
    Richard Becht | Image: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Fri 24th November, 01:10PM
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Brian Smith, one of the most experienced coaches in NRL history, has signed with the Vodafone Warriors as general manager – football.

The Australian was at Mount Smart Stadium on Friday and will join the club permanently in the coming weeks, bringing with him a level of rugby league knowledge and expertise almost unmatched after more than 30 years as a first-grade coach.

His 601 games as an NRL coach is topped by only Wayne Bennett and Tim Sheens while he boasts close to 700 games in all including stints in England.

“The role of GM football is critical to our organisation’s progress,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“The GM will drive all aspects of football operations and leave no stone unturned in ensuring we have our system right and a very strong enforcement of standards and accountability.

“Challenging the status quo is welcome so a complete understanding of how a football department operates efficiently, transparently and as one unit to deliver the best results for our fans and corporate partners was paramount when we were searching for the candidate.

“In particular, coaching support and mentorship along with recruitment, salary cap strategy and management were heavily weighted. In Brian we’re securing a person who has lived and breathed it for more than 600 NRL games at multiple clubs and obviously knows what is required.

“With this structure now in place, Stephen Kearney can concentrate specifically on coaching and set aside to Brian all other football department-related activities. The model we’re introducing is used to great effect in many sports.”

Smith said he relished the opportunity the role offered.

“I couldn’t be more excited about taking up this role,” he said.

“The concept of a general manager of football is to give Stephen every opportunity to concentrate on his coaching job. I’ll be doing all I can to absorb the administrative workload which can be a real burden and distraction for a coach.”

After coaching in lower grades with Newtown and South Sydney in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Smith moved up to first-grade, coaching the Illawarra Steelers for almost 100 games from 1984-1987.

He moved to England where he coached Hull FC from 1988-1990, taking the club to the grand final at Old Trafford in the 1988-1989 season (losing to Widnes).

By 1991 he was back in Australia for a five-season term with St George which included back-to-back grand final appearances against Brisbane in 1992 and 1993.

Two seasons with Bradford included a Challenge Cup final against St Helens which would be a forerunner to the Bulls going on a run of title successes in ensuring seasons.

He returned to Australia, guiding Parramatta for almost 250 games from 1997-2006. During his club record 10 seasons there, the Eels were finals regulars, winning the minor premiership in 2001 and 2005 and making the grand final in 2001.

Smith had two further head coaching appointments with Newcastle and the Sydney Roosters. His last top-level coaching job was with Wakefield in the English Super League in 2015-2016.

BRIAN SMITH

Born: March 14, 1954

Coaching Career:

Illawarra head coach, 1984-1987

Hull FC head coach, 1988-1990

St George head coach, 1991-1995

Bradford head coach, 1995-1996

Parramatta head coach, 1997-2006

New South Wales Country Origin coach, 2007-2009

Newcastle head coach, 2007-2009

Sydney Roosters head coach, 2010-2012

England assistant coach, 2010

United States coach, 2013

Wakefield Trinity, 2015-2016

Serbia technical adviser, 2015

NZ Kiwis technical adviser, 2017

Playing Career: 31 first-grade games, 1973-1979

St George: 14 games, 1973-1974

South Sydney: 17 games, 1975-1979

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

never heard of him.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

brucebruce will tell you all about him.

Guessing Kearney is no longer the coach. Smith will be pulling the strings if you know him well enough...

• Funny Funny x 6
    • List
  4. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

ramraider78 1st Grade Fringe

I never rated this guy towards the end of his coaching career, wondering about his input now would - interview looked like a PR scripted spin towards the end. Worried now when he mentioned ME. Corvo was a better recruitment spin. I remember a story of him in a cherry picker at the roosters analysing training lol

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Ranger
    Join:
    May 23, 2012

Ranger 1st Grade Fringe

Round 26 was long enough ago that I'm fairly positive about this.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

What I really like about the appointment of Brian Smith is the consistency he'll be able to provide from a club perspective from year to year.

In previous years our new coach would come in and then restructure everything in a way he sees fit. It would then take a season or two before those systems become refined and everyone gets used to them by which time said coach gets sacked and the process starts all over again with the new one.

With a football manager in place we can build long term recruitment policies, development pathways, salary cap budgets, player retention strategies etc. and let the coach focus on the on-field affairs. It gives more time and attention to the details (both club and team related) and gives us continuity when/if a coaching change occurs.

To be honest I thought this was the reason behind the whole 'football advisory board' being brought in but I guess not. At this point you'd have to wonder if such a thing even still exists and if so, what their job is.

To think we've gone all this time without a football manager is actually insane. No wonder we've been so dysfunctional as a club. I mean really, given all the unique obstacles our club has to face you'd think this job would have been advertised and filled a long time ago. Better late than never I guess.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  7. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

Having that experience is gold. I hope proper demarcation of roles is sorted.

• List
  8. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

its pretty simple, SK = Puppet, BS = Puppet Master.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I guess I have what I have been asked for all along, except a decent prop.

I cannot see Smith pulling strings over Kearney. The are both intense professionals with different skills. I expected him to pull strings over Kidwell but he is a muppet not a puppet. I should have figured that out.

I compare it to John Hart and Ivan Cleary. They had their roles clearly marked and got on with it. Hart was the guy riding point for Cleary and pissed off a lot of people but it worked. I can see Smith kicking arse and demanding his way but it will be in support of Kearney. I would like to hear how he gets on with the football department. Any slack arses there may as well pack their bags.

Smith's problem was riding his players too hard so for any of our fairies that complain about Kearney being aloof that can always go and complain to Brian Smith. I am sure he will give them a very unfair hearing.:D. I recall at the Storm Kearney was the nice guy to Bellyaches bad guy.

I can see him having a positive influence on Stacey Jones as well, and hopefully our attack game plans.

To be honest I can only see good from this, I wonder if he can find us a prop, or maybe do some magic with Albert Vete and Sam Lisone. What do you think Welly?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Not sure how involved Smith will be. He will still reside in Australia I'm assuming. I think he'll be more of the John Hart type who merely mentors the coach and acts as an agent for him with the CEO and Board. Not expecting big things but its vital we have that clear disconnect between on field and off field business.

Would have been very interesting to see how the Foran signing would have panned out if Smith was on board. Foz being chased by Doyle more than anyone else. Thats the type of thing that needs to stop.

CEOs should just worry about the money side of things and leave the coaching, development and recruitment to the professionals.

Good start for Cameron George...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  11. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

If he resides in Australia still, only the Warriors could achieve such stupidity. Wouldn't surprise me though.

• List
  12. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

Smart move

• List
  13. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

The write up on the Warriors website reads like it would be a full time job...

“In particular, coaching support and mentorship along with recruitment, salary cap strategy and management were heavily weighted. In Brian we’re securing a person who has lived and breathed it for more than 600 NRL games at multiple clubs and obviously knows what is required.

“With this structure now in place, Stephen Kearney can concentrate specifically on coaching and set aside to Brian all other football department-related activities. The model we’re introducing is used to great effect in many sports.”

Smith said he relished the opportunity the role offered.

“I couldn’t be more excited about taking up this role,” he said.

“The concept of a general manager of football is to give Stephen every opportunity to concentrate on his coaching job. I’ll be doing all I can to absorb the administrative workload which can be a real burden and distraction for a coach.”

• List
  14. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

Smith is intense, but has a good record of rebuilding clubs. As long as he’s an arms length from the players, most of the time, this will be as good a signing as Corvo

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  15. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Pretty sure in the media clip he talks about living and working in Auckland. He’s essentially doing everything not directly related to Kearney’s coaching role, can’t see how he could do it all from Aussie.

• List
  16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

TBH I didn't even read it when I posted it lol. Real lack of interest in the club and trying to not let the hype take over. Only time will tell how Smith goes but he certainly has the credentials to do the job...

• List
  17. Onewarrior
    Join:
    Jul 10, 2013

Onewarrior 1st Grade Fringe

Brian Smith himself says in his video interview that he is looking forward to living in Auckland, I myself think this is an exceptional signing, he brings a wealth of experience. Watch the interview, it fully covers what he will be doing, includes being responsible for recruitment and salary cap management etc.

• List
  18. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

So much positive news.
    Is it like this every pre season? Lol

19. Crusader26
    Join:
    Oct 2, 2016

Crusader26 Warriors Bench Player

Has he ever won anything other than wooden spoons?

20. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I thought he had won some comps in England with Bradford but looking into it he made the Challenge Cup. He did rebuild that club though which they then went to dominate.

He has all of the experience required for the role. He is at an age moving to this type of role would be more suitable than being an NRL coach with having to worry on every little aspect of your side along with the opposition. I know there are old coaching going around still but the two main ones in Bellamy and Bennett are freaks.

This is the type of role every club needs. Hopefully he has the right balance between offering advice and trying to coach the side himself.

Like Elliott and Kearney when they signed here he needs to learn from mistakes he made at previous roles. This role might keep him away from that but we don't want to be singing his praises all 2018 for it to fall apart in 2019.

• List