Gameday Bulldogs vs Warriors Gameday Chatter [Round 3, 2017]

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by NZWarriors.com, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Warriors Impound!

2. Warriors 13+

3. Warriors 12-

4. Warriors JANFIN Special by 6

5. Warriors Golden Point

6. DRAW

7. Bulldogs Golden Point

8. Bulldogs 12-

9. Bulldogs 13+

10. Bulldogs Bite!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZWarriors.com
    Join:
    Dec 19, 2012

NZWarriors.com

Bulldogs vs Warriors Gameday Chatter [Round 3, 2017]

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Bulldogs v Warriors: Schick Preview
    Wed 15 Mar, 2017, 9:30am
    By Corey Rosser‌‌, New Zealand Correspondent , NRL.com

Schick Hydro Preview: Bulldogs v Warriors
    Forsyth Barr Stadium
    Friday, 8pm NZT

The NRL Telstra Premiership enters new territory this Friday night when the Canterbury Bulldogs take a 'home' game against the Warriors to Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin, New Zealand for the very first time.

Both sides will head into Round 3 with a full week's rest behind them, after the Bulldogs went down 28-24 to the Roosters last Thursday and the Warriors were overrun by the Storm 26-10 on Friday.

Canterbury have two forced changes, with fullback Will Hopoate and winger Kerrod Holland both facing at least a month on the sideline with injuries.

In their place Junior Warriors graduate Brad Abbey will debut against his former club in the No.1 jersey and Marcelo Montoya is named on the wing, in an otherwise unchanged 17.

Coach Stephen Kearney has opted to bring some extra experience into the starting side for the Warriors, with veteran wing Manu Vatuvei selected in favour of Tuimoala Lolohea and seasoned forwards Jacob Lillyman and Bodene Thompson both promoted from the bench.

Bunty Afoa and Charlie Gubb drop back to the interchange after starting in the first two rounds.

Although this will be the first NRL match to be played at Forsyth Barr Stadium, the Warriors have previously played a trial match there in 2013 while the Kiwis faced England at the ground a year later as part of the Four Nations.‌

‌Why the Bulldogs can win: They may have started the year with back-to-back defeats, but the Bulldogs' resilient attitude has been something to admire over the opening fortnight of the competition. Down 22-8 last week with less than half an hour remaining, the Dogs wrestled back momentum and scored twice to reduce the gap to 22-18. While they leaked a late try to kill off the comeback, Canterbury showed a similar reaction to adversity in Round 1 when they went down 10-0 after just seven minutes but forced the Storm to grind out an eventual 12-6 win.

Why the Warriors can win: Last week in torrential rain the Warriors still managed to complete at 86 per cent, finishing all but five of their 36 sets against Melbourne. If they can bring that sort of ball control to Dunedin then they are going to prove tough to stop. The Warriors are at their best when they can dictate terms with the ball in hand, and their lethal backline can break through even the toughest defensive lines when given enough opportunities. Respecting the Steeden and building pressure will be a key for the Kiwi side, and they have shown they can do it.

The History: Played 34; Bulldogs 19; Warriors 13; Drawn 2. The Bulldogs possess a dominant recent record against the Warriors, with five wins from their last six meetings. The last three games between these two sides have been decided by four points, and you have to go all the way back to 2012 to find a Bulldogs v Warriors match where there was a winning margin of more than eight.

What are the odds: Customers think Sportsbet have got it wrong by posting the Bulldogs as outsiders against the Warriors, with an incredible six times the amount of money bet on Canterbury. Even though the match is being played in New Zealand, there's more money on a Bulldogs 1-12 win than there is on every other winning margin option combined. Latest odds at Link has been hidden. Please Register to view..

Match officials: Referee: Gavin Badger. Assistant referee: Jon Stone. Sideline officials: Tim Roby and Anthony Elliot. Review official: Steve Chiddy. Senior review official: Luke Patten.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live coverage from 6pm (AEDT). Sky Sports - Live coverage from 8pm (NZT).

NRL.com predicts: Both clubs faced the Storm in near identical conditions over the first two weeks of the competition, which gives us a reasonable idea of how they should shape up against each other ahead of Friday night. While the Bulldogs have shown they are competent on both sides of the ball, the way the Warriors handled possession and soaked up defensive pressure at times last week suggests they have the quality to punish a team like Canterbury right now. Warriors by eight.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017

2. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Well Brad Abbey should look pretty damn good in comparison with Tui Dodohea and it will be interesting watching how RFM goes these days..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Blonde Tui was best Tui.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  4. shuffle
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

shuffle 1st Grade Fringe

Shit.. they made Lolohea captain!! Must be his defensive capabilities... or SK was impressed by his skipping ability..

5. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

I'm pretty sure your referring to his skipping out of making tackles ability which is only rivaled by his inability to catch a high ball..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

What is the weather due forecast for tonight?:p Concerned for about rain hitting the roof and the guys struggling to hear the calls.;)

Looking forward to this game for number of reasons but also the stadium. I have been thinking for a few years now if an Aussie club were to bring a game over to NZ this is the stadium to do it. It is new and with the roof your not at risk of bad weather causing as much of an impact to your crowd figures. Sure it may impact getting to and from the ground but at least once you are there it's not a case of sitting in the stands and getting blasted by the elements.

The Aussie clubs bring games over here to widen their fan base or to hopefully draw a bigger crowd. Usually the crowd size is at risk from a sudden weather change.

7. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

We are putting possibly the slowest and most error ridden back three in the entire history of the NRL on the field tonight..... I can't see how this could possibly go wrong!!!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • List
  8. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

Excited to go to my first warriors season game tonight. Will have to tone down my usual language watching the warriors in public for a change.

I think the stadium will suit us, perfect conditions should help our game more than the dogs. We are two from two in preseason here.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List

9. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Maybe that refers to the other "c word"...
    Seriously tho we need him and SJ to have big games- can't see any other way we win this.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  10. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

If we get away with a 2 point win I'll be happy. I wouldn't take too much notice of the Bulldogs form when they had loses of 6 and 4 against competition favourites over the past fortnight

• List
  11. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Get amongst it.

I wonder how much financial incentive these teams get for taking a home game to NZ.

They’ve been a great thing over the years for non aucklanders to see the warriors live.

Long may the bulldogs / panthers / tigers at the old jade stadium keep doing this.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  12. Raurimu Massive
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

Raurimu Massive 1st Grade Fringe

Only if there are kids around bro, otherwise it's open season! Seriously though, the language thing can be a bit grim with some clowns... at a game last year, my mate and I were doing our usual thing of giving grief to opposition players, using creative, family friendly insults as we do. Folk around started to get in on it, and one dickhead tried to get on board with us when someone dropped the ball and muffed a certain try... "HAHAHA I'm gunna f*** your mrs up the arse ya loser". We were surrounded by kids. :(

• Funny Funny x 7
    • List
  13. Raurimu Massive
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

Raurimu Massive 1st Grade Fringe

An 86% completion rate means nothing if they're completed with a rubbish play on the last tackle though, surely? I can't believe I'm nearly at the point of not watching my team play. Obviously, I will though.

• List
  14. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

Not confident at all, actually quite negative, channeling my inner face facts.

Bulldogs: 24
    Warriors: 8
    FTS: A Morris bro

• List
  15. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

The Cheap Seats 1st Grade Fringe

Ummmmm, so.......

We made the worst player on the field for the first two weeks Captain?
    The guy who wasn't even going to play this week unless if it wasn't for a last minute scratching of our fullback/Captain?
    The guy who was hinting over the offseason that he was disinterested and wanted to leave the club?

Surely the above is a typo. Mannering is Vice Captain so will be doing the job, or have I missed something.......

• List
  16. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

The named Hoffman captain in the press release. Why him and not Mannering, who knows.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  17. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

• Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  18. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

C'mon, folks, this is the Aussie media. Just be grateful they bothered to acknowledge that a Warriors player was named as captain, even if it was the wrong one.

Comment during the week on The Back Page was that Klemmer doesn't look half as scary now he's grown his hair. Hope it also negatively impacts his performance.

Warriors 20-18.

Tui to make the haters and lovers go "Meh. Okay, not bad but jeez RTS, get back!" He's at least making the right noises in the media, not the Luke Secret Squirrel stuff of last year.

• List
  19. t-wade23
    Join:
    Jun 7, 2012

t-wade23 1st Grade Fringe

Historically have struggled against Des Hasler led teams,they have an bigger forward pack and our forward pack is playing like powder puffs and using wingers as props with all that said.....

Warriors by 1

• List
  20. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Zero confidence for this game, keeping expectations low to reduce disappointment.

It's my default mode now.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.