General Discussion Congratulations!!! you are now the new coach of the Warriors!!

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Good post.

I'd also like to see us play more expansive footy, in saying that I do like that there's been an emphasis on ball control. Nothing pissed me off more than when we'd get into the grind and an outside back would drop a ball cold coming out of their 20m line.

Hopefully this is just the first stage of the (sorry for saying it) process. Hopefully the team have learnt how to respect the football so lapses like the ones we used to have don't happen anymore.

I'd also keep Thompson (maybe on less money than he's on now). He had a rough start to the season but has been fairly solid of late, I still think he has a lot to offer.

In hindsight it was probably always gonna be a 2-3 year effort to turn the club around given all the problems we've had. Hopefully we can stat seeing some results soon.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. Far North Forever
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2013

Far North Forever 1st Grade Fringe

First I'd sit them all down and get them to spell Warriors. With the 2 who got it right I'd make Simon Captain and SJ his bitch.

3. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

ejbrenu2 Warriors Bench Player

4. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

Cheers mate,

I agree the dropped balls at the wrong times kill momentum but on the same token if you are going to do it anywhere inside the opponent's 20 is probably the best place. When they do it though I would like to see them try and step up the intensity in defence, punish the opposition for our mistake.

• List
  5. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

That's one thing I liked under Cappy. We had that 'attacking defence' where we'd hold a player up with a few players and push them back for 2-3 tackles a set. Worked really effectively for a while there.

Kearney obviously likes to implement a very different style of defence which has also shown to work at times.

Personally I've always liked a really agressive 'in your face' kind of defence were you really try to hit the opposition hard and make them hurt, whether or not that'd be an effective strategy in this day and age I'm not completely sure.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

It's hard to say sometimes isn't it, the wrestle works well for the Storm but whenever we try and implement it our defence gets picked apart.

The driving defence was about the only good thing under Cappy but they couldn't sustain it for some reason.

I agree an aggressive tackle, trying to get in and around the ball with the shoulder would be my preference to bring back a bit of fear factor we have lost and try and force errors. I used to love the way Manu would come in off his wing and put in a big shot, the only issue was he wouldn't always stick and the inside men would clock off, where really if we employ that tactic you need an inside man drifting across for cover. It's what Gillett does so well at for the Broncos.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  7. MarkW
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

MarkW 1st Grade Fringe

I would pre-empt the wrath of this forum and immediately sack myself.

8. BiggerD
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

BiggerD 1st Grade Fringe

Firstly I would the introduce the game of Bullrush to the Warriors training regime.

I grew up playing Bullrush in NZ School playgrounds. Its a load of Fun. :)

Bullrush teaches you both Tackling skills and Attacking skills.

"I call James Gavet".. as he has to weave his way thru 12 teammates and make it to the other side.

Secondly, there is no incentive like $$$ Cash..

So $5000 for a Try.. $1500 for a try scoring offload

That should motivate them...

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List

9. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

An excellent point. We seem to struggle to create any space. We recruited RTS but how often have we been able to spread the ball and get him into a situation where he get one on one with a defender and use his footwork? We probably looked quicker on that front with Tomkins, mind you part of the reason for that would be all of the early tackle hit ups RTS does.

We have discussed a lot about size in the pack but another side close to us on the table who are also in a hole are the Bulldogs. They have that big pack we crave but also look slow around the park. Even the Morris twins look slow now. That could be long careers and injuries catching up to them but the side also struggles to get them into space.

• List
  10. Worried2Death
    Join:
    Mar 6, 2016

Worried2Death 1st Grade Fringe

Four or five years ago I remember some journo asking Feleti Mateo if the Warriors were going to win this week to keep their finals hopes alive. I was kind of blown away by his answer.

Instead of saying "yeah of course we can win, or there's no point turning up" or some similar pro sports cliche, he replied evasively "Well... it's very hard to win games in the NRL." His tone and demeanor exuded DEFEAT, days before the game.

WTF?

What is this fundamental lack of confidence at the club? We'd made the GF only two seasons before, so is it because Ivan left and Bluey's lack of experience wrecked their belief in themselves? Or do our players instinctively resist buying into the ultra-confident bullshit and hype of professional sports culture for some "cultural" reason of our own?

I haven't played a competitive game in nearly 20 yrs and have zero inside knowledge of the Warriors now, but I have one explanation for our failure that doesn't seem to be acknowledged much in the public domain. No proof or source to offer, except (caveat) believe me or not, I have a mate who is a "friend of Feleti's" who is adamant that all the top NRL teams are "performance enhanced" to the max. Therefore it's in no way a level playing field, and if you're not juicing you're fucked, particularly when it tells most; in the last 20 mins. Mateo would know this if anyone does.

Check out the new doco movie 'Icarus" if you're in any doubt about the prevalence of doping across all pro sports, and the impotence of WADA, and ASADA for that matter. You'd be naive to think the NRL is any different.

Mods can remove this if they see fit. But I can't see any other plausible explanation for why we've been so consistently shit for 6 years, with a pretty decent roster most seasons. We're light years behind in the smart juicing game, but I'm willing to have a little patience to allow SK to build a squad of "real" pro's. The Process is an exclusive room with many mirrors and plenty of smoke to blow up our asses in the meantime.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • List
  11. MXRecord
    Join:
    Apr 8, 2014

MXRecord 1st Grade Fringe

I'd take a torch and burn the club down.

12. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Juicing up doesnt give you desire or passion to win

Its gives you nice big muscles though

• List
  13. Worried2Death
    Join:
    Mar 6, 2016

Worried2Death 1st Grade Fringe

A bit of the old Gallen Gas helps with full 80 endurance though. Self-belief flows naturally if you're not gassed after 20.

14. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

If I was coach, I would plaster some of these fan comments in the dressing room.

Tell these fuckers to prove everyone wrong.

I'm getting fired up just thinking about some of the accusations we are making about this team in some of the other threads.

If players like Kata and Maumalo cant handle criticism or cant use Criticism as a form of motivation then you have to SACK THEM.

We need mentally hard nuts. Angry motivated and hungry. Like mad dogs. Make them fear the BEAST.

We're suppose to be WARRIORS not people taking medication for depression FFS.