Gameday Cowboys vs Warriors Gameday Chatter [Round 20, 2017]

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Warriors Stampede!

2. Warriors 12-

3. Warriors JANFIN Special by 6

4. DRAW

5. Cowboys 12-

6. Cowboys Round Up!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Cowboys vs Warriors Gameday Chatter [Round 20, 2017]

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Cowboys v Warriors: Schick Preview
    Thu 20 Jul, 2017, 9:00am
    By Dylan Morris‌, North Queensland Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Schick Hydro Preview: Cowboys v Warriors
    1300SMILES Stadium
    Saturday, 7.30pm

One team that has coping well without their star playmaker comes up against another that has just lost their own in another crucial clash for the finals race.

The North Queensland Cowboys pulled off a relatively comfortable win against the South Sydney Rabbitohs last week, although a lapse in the second half could have cost them the game against better teams. Coach Paul Green will have drilled the holiday mode out of them, and with some extra rest his State of Origin representatives will be ready to take on an increased work load.

The Warriors will be disappointed with their run through the Origin period having only taken three wins from six starts in a period where they usually do well due to their lack of representative players.

The unfortunate loss of Shaun Johnson won't help their effort to make it into the finals, but as the Cowboys have shown this year the loss of a key player (or players) can galvanise a team into lifting in their absence.

Why the Cowboys can win: A home game for the first time since Round 16 will have the Cowboys eager to please their fans in Townsville, so they should be up for the occasion. The performance of Jake Granville last week was reminiscent of his 2015 season, with the hooker stepping up to guide the team to victory with a try and two assists. In the year of their maiden premiership it seemed each week a different member of the spine – and occasionally the forward pack – would have an exceptional game to get the Cowboys over the line. One week it was Johnathan Thurston, the next Michael Morgan and then Lachlan Coote or Granville would seemingly save the day. The spine sharing the load is even more important these days with Morgan taking on Thurston's role as chief playmaker and if Coote, Granville or Te Maire Martin can worry New Zealand, Morgan will have a much easier time controlling the game off the back of his powerful forwards.

Why the Warriors can win: They have the forward pack to match the Cowboys – Jacob Lillyman, Ben Matulino and Simon Mannering each average more than a hundred metres per game, while second-rowers Bunty Afoa and Bodene Thompson each average more than 50 metres in the second row as well as 28 and 34 tackles per game respectively. Their spine is not to be laughed at either, even without Johnson, with internationals Isaac Luke, Kieran Foran and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck adding genuine depth to the side in attack.

The history: Cowboys v Warriors: Played 36, Cowboys 18, Warriors 18. A 50-50 split between the two teams, but the Warriors have won just one of their last 11 games in Townsville. They'll need to almost double their success rate in the north if they want the two points.

What are the odds: The Cowboys to win 13+ has been the best-backed market in this fixture according to Sportsbet. There isn't even any love for the Warriors with the points start and 80 per cent of the money in that market is with North Queensland.

Match officials: Referee: Henry Perenara. Assistant referee: Tim Roby. Touch Judges: Clayton Sharpe and Dave Ryan. Review officials: Steve Chiddy and Luke Patten.

Televised: Fox League – Live coverage from 7.30pm

How we see it: The Cowboys are coming off three straight wins and will be eager to make it four in front of a home crowd, and a Warriors side without their best playmaker will struggle to score points. North Queensland's recent form has been too good for the hot-and-cold Warriors. Cowboys by 12.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

2. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

So the NRL preview says the Warriors can win because of our forwards and then goes on to highlight every forward apart from Gavet. Edit: So it is me not paying attention and Gavet is out but still highlighting our forward pack as the reason to win.... Someone clearly doesn't watch the Warriors.... still can't blame em

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  3. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Gavets not playing.

4. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

My bad..... My apathy has obviously reached new levels, not sure how I missed that.
    Gosh our bench is weak.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Only points of interest for me in this game, and probably the only things that'll get me to watch are to see how Lino and Satae go. I actually like the idea of a Lino/Foran pairing, and I'm curious to see what kind of impact Satae brings off the bench, and whether his motor is going to last more than 5 minutes.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  6. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Why the Warriors can win....their forwards....

Are they trying to say we can't win?

7. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

The Cheap Seats 1st Grade Fringe

Ponga looks a lot like Tui these days. Remarkably similar.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

League: Ponga possible Cowboys stand-in
    22 Jul, 2017 5:00am

Kalyn Ponga could be playing against the Warriors this weekend. Photo / File
    AAP

Newcastle-bound excitement machine Kalyn Ponga could find himself back in the NRL today to play the Warriors if North Queensland winger Antonio Winterstein fails to shrug off a calf injury.

8. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

With Keaneys obsession with playing Thompson for 80 mins and Bunty close to it, their is no reason why Satae couldn't have two or three short spells. Really should get him on as first sub, don't make him sit on a bench for 65 mins

• List

9. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

None of the australian media have a fucking clue, even the so called "experts" on fox all harp on about this big fearsome pack, with this world class spine. How are we the only ones that can see the real problem at this club and highlight it??

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  10. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Didn't realise Satae is nearly 25, this is his chance to show that he should be in the mix for 2018, rip in bro

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  11. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

To be fair, our CEO only worked it out a couple of months ago.

12. Leaguegod
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2015

Leaguegod 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Our CEO Doyle knows nothing about League, nothing about Kiwis (people or bird), knows nothing about fans, knows nothing about player welfare/value, but he is an exert at lying/spin or he is genuinely naive. Warriors not winning against NQ but at least Lillyman will feel at home, take his usual 2nd and 3rd runs looked gassed and clueless miss a couple of washing machine tackles, leave the game in the balance with 9 minutes to go because he has a little bit of blood from the earlobe, who wants you Lillyman next to themselves when they go into battle? no one.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong here, but of the games I've seen recently from afar there is plenty of flair from the team with ball in hand, they can create openings. The problem is the defence is powder puff/lazy at times, too easy for the opposition to get past the first line of defence. Against Penrith for example, Cleary actually had to do very little ihmo - the barn door was wide open too often for him to simply walk through when he took the defence on. I haven't watched enough games to understand if this is player attitude or poor defensive organisation or both. Probably stating the blindingly obvious but improve the defence and the wins will follow. At least make sure the opposition have to earn a score through hard work and skill not just let them in

Anyhow, best of luck to the team today and hope we win

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  14. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Dude I so wish you were in your mid 20s 110kg an could play prop

• List
  15. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Same for EPL broadcasts in England. Half of the pundits are too lazy to do a bit of research on players and teams, they rock up on the day and read from a list of players they probably haven't even noticed. Good money if you can get it

16. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Lino has been tearing it up in Reserves. Same with Satae...

Now to see if they want to play in the big time.

• List
  17. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Cant wait to see how Satae is handled.
    Sao might get more game time and Satae gets his bugger all time.

18. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Someone is going to have to play some minutes off the bench.

Sao usually gets around 20, Ata only if there's injury, Satae you would imagine will be limited to 15-20 at the most. That leaves us with Lisone.......

Congrats Cowboys.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. Hadyn
    Join:
    May 3, 2013

Hadyn 1st Grade Fringe

What I hope happens is that Lino looks calm and assured.If he does and our forwards put in ( for once ) we may get closer than anybody is thinking.
    Lino for me is the type of 7 we need alongside SJ.His strengths are his kicking and organising and he is a tough little shit (remember he partially dislocated his shoulder,led the team around and still kicked the winning goal during the Holden Cup final win three years ago)
    I also like the fact that he has served a really long apprenticeship at the club as opposed to the guys who come in early and then fade away.
    If Lino can take this opportunity and can cement himself as Forans replacement it would take a heap of pressure of SJ and allow SJ more space and time.Ata would become cover for hooker and halfback with a view to replacing Bully long term.Life and sport are all about taking opportunities when they arise......this is Masons big chance, I have a feeling he is going to take it.Good luck and go well.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  20. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

I'm going into this game with an open mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.