Internationals David Kidwell Named Kiwis Coach

Discussion in 'International/Representative League' started by 1995Warriorsfan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

As expected.

It's official, David Kidwell named new Kiwis coach

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

David Kidwell has been confirmed to succeed Stephen Kearney as the coach of the Kiwis.

Kidwell was announced as the new head coach of the national test side by New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Alex Hayton at an announcement in downtown Auckland this afternoon.

"I feel humbled and privileged to be named head coach of the Kiwis," Kidwell said. "I've watched Stephen building a strong culture and I want to make sure that is upheld and becomes even stronger.

"That's the message I'll be giving to our senior players."

Kidwell, who over the past three seasons has served as assistant coach to Kearney with the Kiwis and at NRL level at Wests Tigers, will take the reins immediately on a contract that will take him through to the end of next year's World Cup.

His first task is getting selections right and retaining New Zealand's number one world ranking when the Kiwis take on Australia in the upcoming test in Perth on October 15 before their Four Nations defence in the UK through November.

The 39-year-old former Kiwis forward made 25 appearances for New Zealand and played more than 240 first grade games throughout a 13-year career that included NRL playing stints with the Rabbitohs, Storm, Roosters, Eels and Adelaide Rams and Super League club Warrington.

Kidwell's coaching career started when he took the reins of South Sydney's under 20s side in 2010, guiding them to the minor premiership before they were beaten by the Junior Warriors in the grand final.

He then moved to Melbourne in 2011, where - as Kearney did before him - he served an apprenticeship under Storm head coach Craig Bellamy.

In 2014 he joined Wests Tigers in another assistant role, firstly under former head coach Michael Potter before Jason Taylor took control last season.

David Kidwell

Place of Birth: Christchurch
    Previous Appointments: Kiwis Assistant Coach (2014-16), Melbourne NRL Assistant (2011-13), Junior Kiwis Coach (2010-12), South Sydney NYC (2010).
    Coaching Achievements: Premiers 2012 (Melbourne Storm, NRL Assistant Coach), Minor Premiers 2011 (Melbourne Storm, NRL Assistant Coach), Minor Premiers 2010 (South Sydney, NYC Coach), Series Win 2010-12 (New Zealand Junior Kiwis Head Coach).
    First Grade Playing Career: 241 first-grade games as second-rower or centre - 16 for Adelaide (1997-98), 33 for Parramatta (1999-00), 32 for Warrington (2001-02), 19 for Sydney Roosters (2002), 103 for Melbourne (2003-06), 38 for South Sydney (2007-09), 25 tests for New Zealand (1999-2009).

Read more by Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

2. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Good choice, the delay had me a bit worried that he wouldn't take the job and the next option would be....

Wonder if he will make the same selections kearney would have or mix it up a bit

• List
  3. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

His first team selection will tell me pretty much everything I need to know about his international coaching career, after all, theres not much actual coaching going on, more like a week long boys camp with a bit of running thrown in.

4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Some Kiwi tours might have been like that decades ago, but not recently.

5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Have to wonder whether he'll be open to selecting players like JWH, Benji Marshall or even Steve Matai. Will he go for UK based players for ANZAC games? Will his first team for the Perth Test have is own twist or will he basically select a Kearney flavoured team with Tohu Harris playing hooker, five eighth or centre?

Looking forward to seeing his first team list...

• List
  6. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Good that he's been appointed quickly after the news on Kearney standing down. He was the assistant so he can step up and keep things going and get a smooth transition.

The roll being fulltime rules him out as the Warriors mystery assistant.

It definitely sounds like we are getting a new captain the way he said we'll see about Mannering before going on about talking with someone. Obviously sounded someone out about the job.

I wouldn't be surprised if JWH being in the train on squad and his positive talk about potentially being back in wasn't him getting out of Kearney's naughty corner but more a selection Kidwell wanted.

7. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Wot is your sense now that the team has been named ?

I wonder what nic name the players have for DK ?

I hope it is something better. than Mooksie.

If it were up to me to nic name DK I would call him *Haka*.

8. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin Warriors Bench Player

Maybe just kiddy

9. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

My impression of Kidwell as a coach consists entirely of what I have read in the media including team lists and U20s performances. I think he's going to be all fire and passion in his team talks and training. But the downsides kick in when you realize he doesn't know how to coach. However, I hope I am wrong.

• List
  10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Fire and brimstone works to an extent in internationals. Graham Lowe was really good at it. However a first time winner as Kiwi coach was Tank Gordon, and he wasn't good at anything, he even ended up in jail for fraud.

11. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

I don't get the sense he's a meat head coach. Remember he came in in 2014 after the World Cup debacle and I'm sure he played a big part in the culture change that we saw happen with the success of the four nations. He may even have been like a Bennett 2008 to Kearney who we know on his own can't do jack. Now as head coach it's obviously different but these tournaments are more about galvanising a team quickly with use of culture and brotherhood while being able to tweak little things along the way. This will be the test to see his style and strategy he has to winning a game. We can critique afterwards but I'm impressed with his selections. No doubt Kearney would've selected differently but this team selections seems a lot more logical to most fans which at least we can be happy.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Growing up we all called him the kid or big Dave (for obvious reasons)

• List
  13. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

I want to get peoples expectations of Kidwell. His official reign as kiwis coach starts tomorrow night.

What do you expect him to achieve as kiwis coach?

What would you hope he could achieve as kiwis coach?

Considering the current pool of available and unavailable due to injury kiwi players, its safe to say this is the greatest player pool of talent in kiwis history. Is it fair to expect him to bring home a world cup next year and have a winning record of say 75% over the next 4-8 years? Kearneys record was 55%.

With all the positives the kiwis have had of late with a four nations win and 3 straight against aussie i do expect kidwell to continue to establish and grw the kiwi brand and culture by simply winning alot more. I would love to get on par with aussie where we win 50% of games against them. I would love to see us succeed more in the northern hemisphere, and i would love to see more home games. The more we win the more people will want to watch and hopefully our fans get more chances to see the boys play on home soil.

I am hoping and expecting something different in strategy, a slightly more hungry, fiersome, proud kiwi team, i wanna see men out there proud of their country and play with courage and commitment for each other. Kearneys selections were very safe but also stupid with guys out of position all the time, im hoping for more consistency in selecting positional players. Im hoping for an controlled energy and team effort, iminterested to see how jwh does under kidwell, is he let loose or given controlled agression from kidwell? how does he encourage a guy like Kata to be himself in a first test? how does he get the best out of shaun? im really hoping he can turn more of our guys into believing in themselves fully.

I'm happy kearney has moved on and im happy with where hes gotten the kiwis brand in the last 2 years but im loving the fresh feel that this team needs and im hoping it can deliver on it.

14. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

I like the look of the team Kidwell has picked for tonight, relatively conservative backline with big mobile forwards with good footwork. Kearney did well with the kiwis but some of his selections were a bit iffy.

Kidwell as a player always lifted well above his club level for the kiwis, so he has immense passion for the jersey and a lot of experience as an assistant coach at Nrl level.

We will know a bit more after tonight but am quietly optimistic about him as a coach.

• List
  15. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Kidwells passion is the closest thing to the wear your heart on your sleve type (Bellamy/Toovey / Hassler)..

Allways get a good laugh out of Kidwells antics in the coaching box.

He wears his heart on his sleve.

Very Graham Lowe like.

That is not a bad thing. Personally I believed in Kearney's quiet, deliberate approach and his obsession with a greater plan.

My main fear with DK is that he will be the next best Kiwi coach who motivates for one great thing at the outset....then doesn't have the 'how to' steps to keep the pot simmering, and doesn't understand how to bring it to the boil and dial it down.

Finesse.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    • List
  16. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Not off to the best start...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

I'm concerned he talks about getting the fundamentals right....well surely as a long standing assistant this should be the basic building blocks of the head coach.

The interchange debacle is a worry....

At least it's a warm up and has room for improvement.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • List
  18. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Insane to me, that a coach could forget to play his best player...

Honestly, that's unforgivable. Called it when the assistant coaches were announced, but the NZRL fucked up big time with this coaching staff.

• List
  19. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

His composure was deadly serious. Very focused on a plan, as you say "deliberate" and obsessed meaning he knows how and that is what we are going to get at the Warriors..

• List
  20. Maraea
    Join:
    May 20, 2013

Maraea 1st Grade Fringe

First hit out not the best outcome. But he has awesome players at his disposal so the second game should be better.

• List