General Discussion Defense

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by jonno, Aug 26, 2014.

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I don't want to single out any individual player, because IMO they are all shit.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Roosters start a back line move with no Warriors defenders anywhere near them.
    Standing back the Warriors have a nice looking d line sliding out to cover a basic back line move from the Roosters, who have all the momentum and are gaining easy meters.
    No 18 from the Warriors is slow to cover the Roosters No.6 as he expects the pass to travel out the back.
    No.6 for the Roosters puts the foot down and runs right through what should have been a solid d line, taking advantage of what was basically a lazy assumption by our defender that the ball was going out wide.

We'll never score enough points to win the comp. when our defense is as bad as this.

The line should have advanced together as a unit at speed to meet the Roosters back line and cut down their time and space.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

2. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Roosters half is covered, by the Warriors inside defender, as he runs at a 2 on 3 with his No.10 charging on to the ball. Warriors middle defender is watching the ball carrier and not his man.
    Warriors defender completely ignores him man and attacks the ball carrier. The outside defender doesn't react to his middle defenders error.
    Warriors middle defender commits to the inside runner, taking his insider defender out of the play, giving the Roosters forward the jump on the Warriors outside defender. Then he looks around to see where the ball has gone (he's still ball watching) as the Roosters forward charges toward the try line.

I can see why Hoffman was recruited. Next year we'll have a couple of 80min defensive back row forwards running the defense on each side of the field. Hoffman will probably give us 20 or 30 points extra of points differential at the end of the season all by himself, just from his defense...

• List
  3. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

9 times out of 10 i think Mannering would have completed the tackle and stopped the try, but with all that tape on his elbow, if i remember right it was a full out jumper grab and he couldnt even close his hands on him. I wonder just what hes injured ?

4. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Roosters spread the ball wide with a 4 on 4, winger playing inside, edge forward playing center, fullback lurking out the back and center playing winger. Warriors have the numbers to counter the play.
    Warriors outside defender slides out to show the Roosters winger the sideline. The whole Warriors d line follows him in sliding out and backwards creating time and space for the Roosters inside runners to gain speed and momentum.
    Roosters edge forward, playing center, runs at the retreating defenders and they all keep moving towards the goal line.
    The backward sliding defense fails and the Roosters edge forward is able to stretch out for the try.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Moa was on the end of a perfect pass, running at full speed. Maloney was pretty much standing still. Sure Mannering is a quality defender, but he's also trying to cover in case the ball goes out wide as well. If Lousi tackles Moa, Mannering is in position to help. But he's out of position to make the initial first contact. That's lousi's job as he's standing directly in front of Moa..

At the end of the day, Lousi took Mateo out of the play and created an overlap with his decision to break formation.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  6. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

My own thread- awesome.
    Seriously tho I know that's a makeshift backline but sliding on your own line?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  7. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

i can defn see Lousi take Mateo out of the play, he sets his heals to tackle Maloney rather than following the play and moving to the outside man like you would expect. But i still think that Mannering without injury would probably have done better than a shirt pull.

8. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

just look at the makeup of that line, Mannering on wing Laumape who by this stage is playing right wing running as centre, then i see Manu what as Lock? I think Makeshift is an understatement on that line.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

9. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

Meh your earlier line said it all...

"the Roosters back line start a move with no Warriors defenders anywhere near them"

The Roosters had that space all game. And it was afforded to them by some big metre eaters, winning the ruck battle, and fast play the balls. With that sort of momentum and space their attack had time to do whatever they wanted really.

League 101 and sick of saying it really. Win the battle up front and everything will follow after that.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  10. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

something was missing. communication? yes we had to rearrange the line but that has happened in previous games also. We looked so out of sorts its not even funny. it was cringe worthy

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    • List
  11. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Hey it's the least we can do for your contribution around here.:D

Can someone at the game confirm what the line speed was like between the two teams?
    They seemed to be up in our face wanting to bash us so that's one difference between the two teams. Sometimes you can have all of the structures you like but if you rush up and bash the opposition it's like the old Mike Tyson plans change once you get punched in the face. Our attacking structures definitely changed and a big part of that would have been the pressure from the Roosters defense,

Too right.
    Quite often when we fall apart it seems like the opposition are running through an opposed training session with the way they move us around to where they want and play through the gaps.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

Also just a couple of things in those plays.

1st one: SJ moves up ahead of his defensive line (he did this a few times in that game) which creates a small hole for someone of Maloneys pace to take advantage of. Bukaya as you say could have showed more urgency sliding and in the end doesn't have the pace to match.

2nd: Bad read by Lousi, but in his defence would you have faith that the lazy slug Mateo is going to get across to take his man? I'd be in two minds....but yes, should have stayed out.

3rd: Wasn't this on the back of a huge Roosters break? Our defence was at sixes and sevens and scrambling....little wonder we had no structure going

• List
  13. Danco
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Danco NSW Cup Player

totally agree.

14. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

Cant have been a communication issue as TL was out there to show his leadership and communication skills to the world. Yes tongue in cheek and yes i know you agree, the question is what will cappi do now?

15. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Not a lot IMO he will pick largely the same team and let them redeem themselves which they probably will against a poor Titans team which will build up the hope again only to be dashed by a well coached Panthers team on their home ground in the final round.

After that sentence i feel a bit like henry6066

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Snapshots of a try being scored dont really tell the whole story. That last set of shots must have been after a line break or turnover because our winger is nowhere to be seen (hes way out of position anyway), our defence was probably shot to pieces before that passage of play

edit: I wouldnt describe that as 4 on 4 either, thats 3 roosters on Laumape and Mannering

17. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

no but it does show you snapshots of the position players where in and allows you to look where the players are from slide to slide and who has made the effort to get there and maybe who hasn't

18. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

But not really, they may have all scrambled back 70 metres and those are the guys who were quick enough to get back. The winger may have made the last tackle infield

Those pictures have to be a line break because both teams wingers are infield and the roosters fullback and centre out on the edge

19. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

correct but on that first snapshot you can seewho is in the line regardless of what position they paly on the field usually and you can see who has covered ground across field and who got to the tackle etc

20. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

They all made it across though, the prop (8) was a little slow but they were probably back peddling (oh thats Leuluai), thats just scramble D after a line break. The line break is the problem

Edit: just realised thats the penalty try

• List