General Discussion Depression & Mental Health Thread

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by BiggerD, Oct 29, 2016.

1. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

This thread really is crazy.o_O After a couple of days of intense back and forth debate and heavy questioning a new friendship is developing between Sup42Sup42 and dieharddiehard.:happy:

Now hopefully this thread is quiet for a little while unless it is about initiatives to assist players.

Adjusted your quote for why I don't reveal my identity.;) Especially after a bad loss.:mad:

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Hmmmmm... the message of this thread is getting lost in professional shit that most dont understand nor care about.

Health professionals cant be there for everyone. The point is that we all need to look out for ourselves and our fellow kind. Sharing personal experiences, keeping in touch with mates, giving support even if just words are something we can all do. Having high profile people like Sir John Kirwan and Lewis Brown bring light to something that men have been bred to ignore is a great thing. Its not weak to speak. Thats the essence of this thread...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

NRL superstar Greg Inglis checks himself into mental health clinic with depression
    8:21 PM Wednesday May 17, 2017
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Injured South Sydney captain Greg Inglis has checked himself into a mental health clinic. Photo / Getty Images
    NRL superstar Greg Inglis is battling depression.

The injured South Sydney captain has checked himself into a mental health clinic.

The Queensland State of Origin and Australian Test ace - who is sidelined with a season-ending knee injury - is receiving support from his NRL club.

"Rabbitohs captain Greg Inglis has entered a mental health rehabilitation facility," the Rabbitohs said on Wednesday night in a statement.

"Inglis entered the facility last week and will be undergoing a series of programs and treatments to assist with his mental health.

"The Rabbitohs, Greg and his management will not be making any further comment at this stage, and we ask the media to respect the privacy of both Greg and his family at this time."

Where to get help:

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
    Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 376 633
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: (09) 376 4155
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. 0800 726 666
    If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  4. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Good to see he is getting help. I'd rather read about someone checking into a facility than someone falling deep into depression and deciding they have had enough.

A cool story by Paul Crawley tonight about Inglis hanging out with fans for an hour with Crawley thinking they were family but they were just some fans looking for an autograph.

• List
  5. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

It's becoming a big issue in society.

Later in the year I'm doing the a 14km run in Sydney called City to surf, raising money for Beyond Blue charity.

Along with a practice run of 10km around Sutherland hopefully raising further $$$.

I've being motivated to do these runs by seeing first hand the effects of depression on people, who even become homeless when they lose everything due to the illness.

Fingers crossed it's not too serious for Greg Inglis.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

League: Greg Inglis speaks out about battle with depression
    16 Jul, 2017 6:40pm
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Greg Inglis of the Rabbitohs. Photo / Getty

Troubled NRL star Greg Inglis has revealed seeing a therapist up to four times a day as he continues his battle against depression.

Speaking on television for the first time since checking into a mental health clinic in May, Inglis admitted he struggled being away from his South Sydney teammates following a season-ending knee injury.

He said some of his frustrations spilled into his home life, but only opted to speak up in the week leading into the Anzac Test between Australia and New Zealand.

Despite being injured, Inglis had spent the week in camp.

"I had a lot of weight on my family with the mood I was in at home," Inglis told Fox Sports' Sunday Ticket.

"I decided right there and then in the week leading into the Anzac Test in Canberra that I wanted to seek help. I told a handful of people, about three people.

"It was weighing on my family at home. I wasn't feeling right myself. I wanted to seek the help that I needed. I'm still seeking treatment now."

The South Sydney skipper said he had difficulty opening up in group sessions.

"They encourage you to go to group therapy. I wasn't a fan of that. I felt like going into a room and it felt like you were talking to the whole world. That's how I felt," he said.

"Some days I'd wake up, one-on-one therapy throughout the day, sometimes four times a day. That was really strong at the start in the first few days then it backed off.

"I'm a very sensitive person but I don't show emotions very much and I don't talk about my feelings very often. I keep things to myself. It's one thing I've been working on and speaking up."

Inglis, 30, who has been back running for three weeks, conceded he had also been scarred by near drug overdoses of two Rabbitohs teammates in 2015.

"There are these sad stories about these junior players coming through and going through the suicide path and overdosing," Inglis said.

"We had a few players a couple of years ago in Aaron Gray and Dylan Walker which really scared me, the entire club and the rugby league community. It ain't weak to speak."

Where to get help:

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
    Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 376 633
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 942 8787 (Mon-Fri 1pm to 10pm. Sat-Sun 3pm-10pm)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.: (09) 376 4155
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. 0800 726 666
    If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Inglis, Kata,Manu... i'm sure there's more.... why dont they start their own support group??????

8. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Better still, why don't they start their own team. I am not convinced on this new wave of depression. People have had to put up with life and what it throws up. Sure, at times it is tough. In the past the bulk of people got on with it. Now it seems most people suffer depression for some reason at some time. Is this really depression or just a time when something isn't going as well as it might ?

dean
    This message by dean has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

NZ has the highest rate of youth suicide in the world. You think depression is real or not???

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 12
    • List
  10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

It is difficult to explain to people who do not suffer from it. It is actually a physical condition that has effects on mental health.

I believe 100% if Kata said he was suffering from depression, then he was. It would have taken a lot of courage to open up about it, and that is the thing, people with depression have a lot of difficulty opening up about it. They just don't know how to say it.

I will accept that SK had little idea that Kata was depressed. It isn't that easy to see until it is way too late.

I am sure a lot of that has to do with the education system. Teachers could be doing a lot more but their hands are tied in a dysfunctional system.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

When it comes to famous sports people some of it must be the sudden transition between an adrenaline rush of playing in front of crowds with the adulation that goes with it, to being crocked and sat at home wondering what to do. There have been a few high profile EPL players who have suffered with it. There is also the pressure to perform which probably gets to some. I also wonder what some if these players are taking:confused:.

Difficult to understand because unlike a physical injury you can't always see it.

• List
  12. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Yeah, i remember there was a recent suicide in union. Some wallaby fella. Really young, in his thirties. Just couldnt handle the transition from stardom to being just a regular bloke. I think he hung himself?

Its a common problem. i can fully understand it. From hero to zero. I think its no different to losing your job....

Personally i strongly believe its up to management to keep these guys grounded.

Too many of them get carried away with the lifestyle. Its not sustainable. When it comes crashing down reality hits hard....

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  13. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I heard that saying a good 10 years ago...

Do you have an updated source or is this old material??

14. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Mental illness is often used as an excuse.
    You are right to raise that point.

That is about individuals looking for a cop out rather than the move toward people being more open about mental health problems.

You are right to question people using it as an excuse.

Just like physical health problems....there are people who make bad choices and end up with serious issues....in the same vein this can be a result of of poor choices. It is not cool to admit this is true.

However lets take this last article from Inglis.

None of us can judge whether it is a cop out or not, that is the real thing to get your head around with mental health.....accepting whether a problem is self inflicted or not....either way that person needs help in some form or other.

People who 'ask for it / use it as an excuse' are just as likely to end up dead...so with such heavy consequences you end up (working in that area) focussing on solution rather than cause.

That aside, I don't think it does anyone a service to foster a blame and excuse mentality in why they have become so low.....rather than need to know....that stuff is really more on the nice to know continuum.

15. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

I'm not sure that people suicide because of depression, some obviously do. I doubt youth suicide is caused by depression, what is it actually? Is growing up , dealing with physical, emotional and hormonal changes as a teenager depression? I doubt it myself. Everyone gets down at some time for some reason and most work their way through things, some get assistance and that is fine. Suffering from depression has almost become sort of fashionable, like having a gluten intolerance when you actually haven't but want to join in. It's like stress, everyone seems to suffer that too.

dean
    This message by dean has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • List
  16. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

How many sportspeople have dead fish?

Certainly agree about the hands being tied. I mean, how stupid is it that it's sacrosanct to use the word "suicide", say how the death occured and then ruin the nothingness of words like "death was unexplained", "no foul play is suspected" etc with "If you or someone you know is in danger ring Depressionline, Healthline etc....?" When I was at high school, a young kid in the tutor group I was -4ish years younger than me - in drank some toxic substance and died. No-one was allowed to even mention the possibility it could have been suicide. There were reasons quietly talked about amongst students for it possibly being that, but the idea that he was a risk-taker got much more "official" backing.

Whether you agree with Mike King or not, it's obvious how things are done at present isn't working.

• List
  17. Rizzah
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Rizzah 1st Grade Fringe

I'm not sure people suicide because of depression and Suffering from depression has almost become sort of fashionable......
    Are you for real??? those have to be two of the stupidest things i have read on here for a while.

• List
  18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I know it looks that way. However I think it is just coming out of the closet and people are talking about it more.
    Here is an example.

A person suffers the death of a child. That is very traumatic and arguably some people never get over it, they just adapt to the emotional pain. However at times they feel pretty sad. That is not depression.

Depression is more like having something nice happen, like going out to dinner, or to a good concert, and just not being able to enjoy it because of an imbalance of biochemistry. It is real, it is not imagined, and it can be fatal. It can be fatal because it is so bad even death would be a relief. When people get to that stage, and if they drink or take drugs to cope, they can get on a slippery slope. Teenagers are especially vulnerable because of their hormonal changes. The closer they get to suicide, the less likely they are to talk about it.

I think this is why depression has not been talked about, because HTF does one explain it? Not even psychologists know how it feels, it is that bad.

It has nothing to do with the highs and lows of sports, it is a biochemical imbalance.

• List
  19. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

I know where you're coming from because my dad has a very similar outlook on depression. He's 55, so not much younger than you. His attitude is the "suck it up and get on with it" type. A LOT of people from that era have this mindset and I know for a fact that a shit tonne of them don't see depression as being all that legitimate.

your post isn't stupid. There are so many people out there who don't understand it, which is why they struggle to accept it.

• List
  20. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

In fairness to dean, I think what he's getting at is "How many suicides are from depression?" - things building up and up and up and the person could legitimately be diagnosed with depression.... versus "How many suicides are spur of the moment decisions? - Fuck I failed yet another fucking exam I'm going to kill myself...

It would be interesting to see any statistics regarding the state of mind of the deceased but unless the deceased is going to leave a long, detailed explanation as to why they've taken the ultimate decision - and I'm guessing 90-something% of suicide deceased don't open up in their last moments - it's always going to leave a shitload more questions than answers.

As to the "suck it up" attitude: I've heard people talk about how, in the Blitz, people just had to walk past bombed-out houses and know there were dead bodies in there and just carry on. Which I understand from a "we will not be defeated"/"don't show your enemy you're hurting" viewpoint but still, I wonder how many of those folk ending up taking their own lives/ended up in psyciatric wards because they bottled it up. Stiff upper lip etc etc...

• List