General Discussion Depression & Mental Health Thread

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by BiggerD, Oct 29, 2016.

1. BiggerD
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

BiggerD 1st Grade Fringe

Yes you can be very very successful & still have depression / worse commit suicide

Like this top executive chef in Sydney who passed away over the weekend thru suicide and left a wife & 3 children.

I do not think anyone saw the "warning signs". It just happened

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Executive chef of Bistrode CBD, Jeremy Strode, has died.

The news that Strode, 53, is believed to have ended his life on Monday was confirmed by a representative of Merivale.

Strode, a chef's chef, spent 27 years working at the pass and inspired generations of young cooks.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

My old man has depression. And the first thing he'll tell you is people who don't have it don't know what they're talking about.

Try a 5 day migraine where you cant take pain killers or even drink water because the pain is so intense you'll throw up.

And as for blowing off steam, you'd never associate him with being down in the dumps. He was extremely energized, lol. Just not in a positive way if you get my meaning..

It's pretty much full loss of control over the temper. Full loss of control over the emotions. Raging bull depression where he's pretty much just trying to get everyone to go away until it dies down, so that he doesn't............................

That's the extroverted kind. It comes and goes in waves. It's always there and most of the time it's easy to control. But then the build up becomes too great and the hulk comes out again.

The depression isn't referring to low energy, as it's quite the opposite, and is a very high intensity disorder. The depression is mainly referring to serotonin, dopamine, etc levels in the brain being too low for normal, healthy brain function. There's no shortage of adrenaline I can tell you... It's a rush.

Anyone who thinks depression is just lack of motivation is thinking about something else completely. It's a biochemical deficiency in the brain that makes you go fully fucken haywire...

Anyone who's suffering from depression needs proper psychological attention asap. Cause you can't cure it on your own. You need those smiling faces to stimulate your healthy brain chemistry into action. And you need to completely overhaul your belief system. It's a fucked up journey that pretty much nobody who has to take it ends up completing...

I also don't think you can perform at anywhere near your peak with depression either. You can't handle the setbacks. They literally blow your mind, while your competitors are able to handle setbacks and move on quickly, leaving you in the dust.

Someone with full on depression needs to be very careful about not getting themselves into high pressure jobs. They are best to be in jobs where they are helping people, as opposed to jobs where they are striving for personal achievement.

Bummer I know, but that's just how it rolls when you mind is running low on love.

But if you eat healthy, practice breathing and focusing on images of happiness for an hour a day (meditation), you can turn off your angry chemicals and slowly build up your happy biochemical levels up to where you'd like them to be. Try telling that to someone who's depressed tho, and get ready to cop an earful.

Other methods that have worked to defeat depression include becoming deeply religious or finding a really good shrink who manages to put you onto a meds program that is perfect for your particular condition.

• List
  3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

The highest rate of teen suicide in the developed world
    GLENN MCCONNELL
    October 16 2016
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    FAIRFAX NZ
    We're the worst in the world for youth suicide

New Zealand has the highest rate of teen suicide in the developed world, an OECD report reiterates.

Despite the alarming information the report revealed nothing new.

New Zealand continuously ranked among the worst in the world for our levels of teen suicide.

In a normal week two teenagers or two children kill themselves, Youthline director Stephen Bell says. About 20 young people will be hospitalised for self-harm each week, he estimated.

This was New Zealand's shame, he said. If suicide was a contagious disease, Bell said the country would have demanded action.

After 31 years working for Youthline, which operates a crisis line for young people considering self-harm, Bell doesn't think we've got any better. Looking back at when he started, he said the situation was just as bad.

"If you take the hardcore facts, last year there were well over 100 young people who killed themselves. We've gone down and come back. So no. I don't think it's really improved.

"There are some good people and good services, but we really haven't made a change."

Bell said the only way to really reduce New Zealand's suicide rate would be to change communities on an individual basis.

"Suicide is the ultimate way of leaving a community. If you want to turn that round we've got to make sure that we've got communities that young people want to be a part of and feel safe and secure," he said.

At any given time, Youthline was working with 30 young people at immediate risk of suicide, Bell said.

Ministry of Health mental health director John Crawshaw said improving youth mental health was a priority.

The ministry would focus on "collaboration with communities," he said.

A cross-sector approach to improving youth mental health was essential, Crawshaw said.

Programmes to reduce child abuse, family violence and helping "vulnerable families" were just as important as health initiatives, he said.

The Government was spending about $5 million on suicide prevention strategies each year, he said. The funding was announced in 2013 and included education schemes for targeted communities to learn about suicide prevention and mental health.

WHERE TO GET HELP

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. (open 24/7) - 0800 543 354

Depression Helpline (open 24/7) - 0800 111 757

Healthline (open 24/7) - 0800 611 116

Samaritans (open 24/7) - 0800 726 666

Suicide Crisis Helpline (open 24/7) - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO). This is a service for people who may be thinking about suicide, or those who are concerned about family or friends.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. (open 24/7) - 0800 376 633. You can also text 234 for free between 8am and midnight, or email This email is not visible to you.

0800 Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. children's helpline - phone 0800 9428 787 between 1pm and 10pm on weekdays and from 3pm to 10pm on weekends. Online chat is available from 7pm to 10pm every day.

Kidsline (open 24/7) - 0800 543 754. This service is for children aged 5 to 18. Those who ring between 4pm and 9pm on weekdays will speak to a Kidsline buddy. These are specially trained teenage telephone counsellors.

Your local Rural Support Trust - 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP)

Alcohol Drug Helpline (open 24/7) - 0800 787 797. You can also text 8691 for free.

For further information, contact the Mental Health Foundation's free Resource and Information Service (09 623 4812).

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  4. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Truly stunned and disappointed.

What is fundamentally wrong with our society? Why has nothing changed from 10-15 years ago when this was already common knowledge ???

Is it the "Once were Warriors" mentality that is ruining our young kids ?

What troubles me is this is not openly talked about. Its all hidden under the rug. Like NZ's dirty little secret.

I hate it when NZ Herald uses innuendo's and will not recognise suicide for what it is. Instead you have to "read between the lines" when theres an article about someone who "passed away".

I dont understand that approach. You have to call it out for what it is.

Suicide is not a call for help. Its too late.

But i bet you a call for help is there but no one is listening in this country. We're too preoccupied with pointing fingers at each other and not working together to solve the problem.

Something is just not right.....

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Just to explain a couple of things. Not my intention to undermine or doubt anyone suffering depression. My nephew killed himself as a teenager, I had three friends kill themselves over the years and I have been depressed and I have been to a few therapist's. Depression to me is a term easily used as a broad brush to describe someones state of mind at a particular time. There is a huge difference between feeling down about something, even something quite heavy, and having suicidal thoughts that you just can't escape. This is my experience. Now , it seems that when people are down or dealing with something that sends them off their normal course they are suffering from depression . The danger of labeling the down times as depression is that other causes my be ignored.
    Mental illness is something that gets very little recognition in my opinion and again my limited experience is that many people are diagnosed with depression and simply given perscriptions to make them feel better without getting to the root of the problem.
    My apologies to anyone I might have offended, this is a sensitive topic and my thoughts are not aimed at anyone.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  6. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I couldn't agree more. There's a massive difference between feeling depressed for a couple of months due to life circumstances, and having the Illness of Depression. Life can be working out great for you, but if you're suffering depression you still lose your mind.

You don't just get over it. And hardening up just makes it worse.

The first step is to reconnect with yourself and your true identity. Really get to know your good side so that you can show it to the world and feel good about yourself. Then go out and start helping people in a selfless way. The positive feedback makes a huge difference and boosts your nuro-chemistry.

Find some positive role models and be like them as much as possible, without idolizing them of course. And smile at every opportunity. Train your face to smile at people whenever it's socially acceptable to do so. Maximize the smiling co-factor in your life.

Tony Robbins says that it's impossible to feel down if you stand up straight, look to the sky, hold your arms out in a victory pose and smile a huge smile. And he's right. This exercise stimulates your brain to release happy chemicals, and the more you do it the more your brain will make for you.

If you think this is all a bit gay then that might be part of the reason you are depressed. Think about it.

Depression is isolationist in nature. So don't let yourself get isolated. Be a positive contributor to your social groups, as much as can, so that your people will actively want you around. It feels great to be alive. Believe it.

And learn how your memories shape your emotions. If you have a traumatic memory that's causing you problems, you need to deal with it. This is probably the hardest part, that takes the most courage. But as soon as you start dealing with your traumatic past, it immediately starts feeling better.

And never ever ever admit to anyone that you have depression. If anyone asks you if your crazy, look them in the eye and tell them you're doing great. You need to set up a self fulfilling prophecy about how you want to be.

7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Many people think doctors prescribe drugs at the first sign of any problem. The prescription of anti depressants for people feeling down is an old problem. Feeling down and depression is very different. Personally I would not take anti depressants, they are not the answer for depression which makes the problem even worse, because the other options are not easy.
    Who is he? Does he suffer from depression or is he a hype merchant?

8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I've seen meds work. But they have to be the right ones and you have to want them to work.

He's a hype merchant, but he does have some good tools for this kind of thing. He did struggle personally, due to his gigantism (he's a big oversized dude basically), until he learned his way into a massive career as a motivator..

9. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I'll be honest here. I went through a stage of depression. It was weird. I couldnt figure out why i felt so miserable at the time. Everyday i felt a huge weight on my shoulders.

Now I wasnt so miserable to the point i was thinking about death. Hell no. It wasnt that bad. But i knew something wasnt right. I shouldnt be feeling this way. There was absolutely nothing in my life to feel miserable about.

So I visited the doctor. Explained to her i wasnt suicidal but just felt like i was on a massive down everday. I couldn't even remember the last time i laughed. She asked me if there was anything that was upsetting me. I explained to her there was absolutely nothing that i conciously knew about that would cause this feeling.

In fact that was the whole reason i went to the doctor. I honestly could not figure out what was wrong with me. I was on this low for about 6 months straight.

So she gave me anti-depressants. And it worked.

I remember waking up the next morning after my first dose feeling like a massive weight was lifted. It was happy thoughts all round. I remember walking into the office thinking life was beautiful. And it was.

I was on the medication for about 3 months then i jumped off it as soon as i could. The thing with anti-depressants, they are massively addictive....

Moral of my story?

1. You dont have to being thinking about suicide in order to ask for help.

2. Anti-depressants work if used properly

3. We all go through stages in our lives where we feel like we're drowning. Take it as a life experience and come out stronger from it.

Its strange, but on antidepressants i just saw positive energy everywhere . And i surrounded myself with good people. I think thats the secret to a good life. Surround yourself with good people and positive energy.

Fuck i gotta get off this forum...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

They have side effects that obviously affect some people more than others. Even psychiatrists are careful about recommending them, doctors less so IME.

• List
  11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Fuck anti-depressants. Some cocaine, ecstasy, weed, piss and good mates is all I do when Im feeling down and need reminding how fucking awesome life is...

12. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Antidepressants are cheaper. And legal.

Dont knock it till you've tried it.

13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Would you believe acupuncture is claimed to work.

14. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Eating chocolate ice cream out of tub using frozen snickers bar as spoon is what works for me ...

Now I've just gone and reminded myself again how fat I am.

Fuck I'm depressed. Where's fridge ? :(

15. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Cheers for sharing bro
    I went through a similar situation where again nothing traumatic happen I didn't particularly have anything to be sad about I just got to a stage where nothing gave me joy anymore I couldn't find joy in the things I used to enjoy and just had an all round feeling of numbness and sleep just wouldn't come. I've always been a workaholic but just couldn't find motivation in work or sport. Knew something wasn't right but didn't know what. Wasn't suicidal or anything just a feeling that I wasn't me.
    Tried some meds and happy days things back to normal in no time.
    The common misconception with depression is that people are just a bit sad and need to simply cheer up, you will often hear people scoff and say "I get down sometimes I just get over it" this is not the same thing. Big thing is that even if your not sure get it checked out just like any other medical condition- if they can diagnose it they can treat it.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  16. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Nah mate, you dont need a fridge. You need a treadmill.

Actually eating chocolate ice cream using a snickers bar sounds bloody amazing.

I'm going to have to try that tomorrow.

Then I'll join you with my fat arse at the treadmill after.

17. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

18. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

Good article. I've been to the depths of hell in life before and getting out of bed for a year + solid was a task. Can't believe these blokes can still turn up and train everyday, champions.

Brown and Koroisau share sorrow and strength

In the wake of Manly hooker Api Koroisau recently opening up for the first time on the tragedy that engulfed his life three years ago, teammate Lewis Brown says Koroisau helped him through his own recent loss of his father as Brown sets out to break a three-generation cycle of suicide in his family.

Koroisau arrived home from Mad Monday in September 2015 to find his girlfriend had taken her own life.

Kiwi Test utility Brown – the Penrith teammate who dropped Koroisau home that day – was told after New Zealand's 2016 Four Nations final loss to Australia that his own estranged father had committed suicide.

Koroisau and Brown shifted to Manly together in 2016; almost a year on from Brown's tragic news and he said that while it doesn't get any easier, having someone to talk to who understands the emotions involved certainly helped him.

"Api's been a massive shoulder for me to lean on," Brown said this week.

"I went through a tough time there in the off-season where my father took his own life. I'm not over it now but I'm slowly learning to deal with it. Api's been there for me.

"We dropped Api off at home when the tragedy happened for him when we were both at Penrith. To have someone that's gone through the same thing, it doesn't make it any easier but it makes it easier to talk to someone."

Brown said despite the projected image of professional football players as big, strong men full of bravado, they can be as troubled by personal feelings as anyone else.

"I'm not over my dad stuff and I'm still learning to deal with that. My message is, if I can help anyone, it's OK to speak out.

"For me it's three generations: my dad, my grandfather and my great grandfather. It's about breaking the cycle."

Such things put rugby league in perspective, according to Brown, though the sport can also provide a valuable support network.

"[The Manly playing group] has been really strong around myself," Brown added.

"It's taken [Koroisau] three years to speak about his story and sometimes it's like that but he's been a massive part of helping me get through what I've been through."

Just last week Koroisau addressed what he went through publicly for the first time in an interview with the Daily Telegraph. Brown wrestled with whether to address his own loss publicly but made the tough decision to do so via an Instagram post as well as addressing it in the media.

"I just wanted to put the message out there that I'm willing to open my mind to anyone," Brown said.

"The amount of people that inbox me to say 'thank you very much', that they've been scared to speak out about it. I've even talked to random people just over the phone to offer my experiences and how I deal with it.

"Within society over the last few years I think it's been a bit more accepted that people can talk."

Society as a whole is moving away from the perception that if you seek help for mental health issues that there is something wrong with you, Brown added.

"We've got to lose that tag, everyone's going through things of their own and you should be able to go and talk to someone where you're not frowned upon or seen that just because you're talking to someone there's something wrong with you."

Brown applauded the stance taken by the NRL in recent years in terms of addressing mental health issues among players and putting staff in place who can help.

"At our club we've got (former New Zealand international) Quentin Pongia who has admitted himself that he went through a tough time in his career and he's been awesome for our club," Brown said.

"If we can get more people like him in the game, ex-players who have been through that experience. He's been awesome for our group, a lot of boys that have spoken to him have got a lot out of that."

*Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

*Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467.

*MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List