Emotional Control

Discussion in 'Social Forum' started by jonno, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

There's been some stuff said about our players lacking emotional control.

My hobby/profession of currency trading is all about emotional control, so I thought I'd post my understanding on the subject. Hopefully I'll get some different opinions and improve my trading as well.

Positive thinking:

I think we can all agree that emotional control requires positive thinking (as opposed to negative thinking). But what exactly is positive thinking?

A simple minded optimist sees everything working out well no matter what is going on, but is often detached from reality and needs to be a super human type, like Michael Jordan (when he was playing basket ball) before it really works in a sane way. When MJ tried to translate his ultra optimist approach to baseball he still failed and people thought he was crazy. In short his optimism lead him away from the game he was naturally great at and caused him to suffer unnecessary failure.

Henry Ford was a little closer to the truth, but still nowhere near it, when he said, "whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, you will be right." So the question here is what does it mean to believe something?

Knowing it's true without any proof is the usual skeptics definition of a belief. But if you know something is true then you don't need to believe it, cause you already know it. So believing is only useful when you don't know. But if you are aware that you don't know then you can't say that you fully believe.

Why is Ford closer to the truth than MJ? Because Ford new that it's very easy to believe you can't and that this belief will destroy your chances of success. MJ was raised to believe he would always win, so he never had to experience a failing belief. This didn't stop him from failing tho.

Which brings me to my next thought. Rational thinking has to have a place in positive thinking, surely. Wildly hopeful or ridiculously optimistic thoughts aren't positive thoughts. IMO they're just straight up crazy. They have detached way too far from what is possible, and are in the land of make believe. So being reasonable with your thinking has to be the foundation for positive thinking.

The big problem with rational thought, dealing with reality as it is, is that it can become very depressing and straight up toxic to human emotions. While the rational thoughts may be perfectly accurate with what's happening in the world, they can easily start to feel horrible in your heart, which usually turns your brain off, making it impossible to think about anything at all. So while rational thought is a foundation of positive thinking, it's not the most important aspect.

For me the most important aspect in positive thinking is in fact the emotional control. I'm not suggesting you think thoughts that will make you feel good, like the optimist is always trying to do. And I'm not suggesting, you believe in things when you have no proof so that you can always feel good, either. The key for me is to control how you feel while you are thinking.

Let me explain. When you are using your mind correctly, thinking about what you are hoping to achieve, you should also pay attention to how you feel about what you are trying to achieve. Because hoping and feeling are two completely different things.

You can hope for something great, but on a guttural, emotional level, feel absolutely horrid about actually achieving it. Whether you learned to feel horrid about success from your childhood, or whatever, it doesn't really matter. You feel how you feel, about this and that, and that's where you are right now.

This for me is negative thinking. Feeling negative about things that are good for you, or you would like to have happen to you.

Positive thinking is feeling positive emotions when thinking about things you want. And also feeling negative emotions when thinking about the things you don't want.

But if you remember that rational thought is the foundation of positive thinking, it's not enough to just feel positive about the things you want. To truly think positive you have to logically evaluate what you are thinking about to see if your desire is possible in reality. Because if you feel great about wanting something that is impossible in reality, your just being crazy, which be definition, can't be positive thinking.

So the true definition of positive thinking is:

Calculating what is the best possible outcome, and then making yourself feel as awesome as possible about that outcome happening.

To really use positive thinking correctly you have to be constantly pushing your boundaries of what you understand to be possible. As you improve, you must move your goals a little further away, and move your feelings with them, so that you can keep growing and expanding in the most beneficial way.

When SBW, in late season 2013, says winning the Grand Final would be "an awesome feeling", he's using positive thinking. He knows that it's possible, and he's feeling it at the same time.

That's my understanding of emotional control. Any thoughts are more that welcome.

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

There are three motivating emotions, love hate and fear..

They love their lifestyle and income, they hate going the extra mile and they don't fear anybody at the club. because if they get dropped they know there is nobody better to take their place.

They need a good kick up the arse.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I'm starting to think in terms of feel good and feel bad. It's a binary with all the good emotions in one category and all the bad emotions in the other. I know I'll unconsciously move myself towards any of the good emotions, and run from any of the bad.

So it's a good method for me. Simple and effective.

And in doing that, I don't need to burden anyone with the chore of having to kick my ass. Which is always a good thing.;)

4. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Our players lack intelligence.

To have emotional control you need emotional intelligence.

Without intelligence what do you get?

Emotional.

Which explains why so many of them are on antidepressants.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

To be fair they're on sleeping pills;), but I get what you're saying.

6. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Sleeping pills and red bull. One that puts you to sleep, the other that keeps you aware.

Seriously unintelligent.

7. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

They could have had a glass of water out the tap and got the same effect.:woot: Probably would have played better next game day to boot.

Are the Warriors the only team in the history of sport that abuses performance destroying drugs?