1. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin Warriors Bench Player

I don't think we have lost him at all. The NZRU probably have changed there stance after shutting papalii out. Reading comments from his Insta posts it looks like he is still in contact with most of the warriors players. Would be very surprised if he wasn't here next year

2. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

Very much doubt this, Papalii wasn't the first and he certainly won't be the last. NZRU have a long history of excluding top line players from this team due to their league aspirations. Papalii is one of many.

If they do change this stance it will set a dangerous precedent and more high school players will sign NRL deals knowing that they can still make this NZ secondary school team.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

I can tell you right now that he didn't look anywhere near as good

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Hmmm a choice between playing NZ Secondary schools and a possible chance at super rugby and then potential higher honours for the best rugby side on the planet travelling the world.... v's.... playing for a laughing stock of a league club coming off the back of the longest losing streak in the clubs history and potential higher honours in a Kiwis side that plays once or twice a year against 2 countries.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  5. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

Besides the obvious pull of the all blacks jersey, travel is a massive draw card for young players. Rugby will take you around the world to different countries. League will take you to Australia and back.

• List
  6. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I just noticed that he's contracted to the Warriors until 2019, if he turned 18 on the 20th of last month then isn't he technically an adult and thereby bound by his Warriors contract.

Could explain Iro's flippant comment on the matter.

7. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Its based on when he signed the contract.

• List
  8. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin Warriors Bench Player

Heard this morning he's still contracted to the warriors for 2018,2019 with a club option for 2020. The club hasn't spoken to him as he's busy with the NZ schoolboys but they havnt heard anything from him to say he won't be a warrior.

9. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Good to see Iro's finger on the pulse then..

10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Biggest drawcard league has is they pay junior players straight away. All the perks you speak of are possible IF he makes it to top level footy. With the Warriors he will be earning $80K straight out of school. Thats guaranteed if he can make it to preseason in November. The rugby dream isn't...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  11. dantheman
    Join:
    Sep 11, 2017

dantheman Waterboy

Just read Nathan Ryan's blog q+a and he said that nanai will be in the squad next year.

"Just signed a half from NZ rugby. Kid is a gun. He's 18 and Manly were after him hard. I'll probably write about him next week. He's in the NRL squad next season"

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  12. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I think he may be talking about Hayze Perham he's a half whose just been signed, Nanai was signed a while ago and is a center/wing/fullback

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  13. dantheman
    Join:
    Sep 11, 2017

dantheman Waterboy

yea i thought that as well then he said further up in a different question that he was talking about nanai. Sounds like he was just confused. I really hope that nanai is here next season though.

• List