1. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

I don't think we have lost him at all. The NZRU probably have changed there stance after shutting papalii out. Reading comments from his Insta posts it looks like he is still in contact with most of the warriors players. Would be very surprised if he wasn't here next year

2. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

Very much doubt this, Papalii wasn't the first and he certainly won't be the last. NZRU have a long history of excluding top line players from this team due to their league aspirations. Papalii is one of many.

If they do change this stance it will set a dangerous precedent and more high school players will sign NRL deals knowing that they can still make this NZ secondary school team.

3. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

I can tell you right now that he didn't look anywhere near as good

4. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Hmmm a choice between playing NZ Secondary schools and a possible chance at super rugby and then potential higher honours for the best rugby side on the planet travelling the world.... v's.... playing for a laughing stock of a league club coming off the back of the longest losing streak in the clubs history and potential higher honours in a Kiwis side that plays once or twice a year against 2 countries.

5. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

Besides the obvious pull of the all blacks jersey, travel is a massive draw card for young players. Rugby will take you around the world to different countries. League will take you to Australia and back.

6. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I just noticed that he's contracted to the Warriors until 2019, if he turned 18 on the 20th of last month then isn't he technically an adult and thereby bound by his Warriors contract.

Could explain Iro's flippant comment on the matter.

7. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay ^ I LIE

Its based on when he signed the contract.

8. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

Heard this morning he's still contracted to the warriors for 2018,2019 with a club option for 2020. The club hasn't spoken to him as he's busy with the NZ schoolboys but they havnt heard anything from him to say he won't be a warrior.

9. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Good to see Iro's finger on the pulse then..

10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Biggest drawcard league has is they pay junior players straight away. All the perks you speak of are possible IF he makes it to top level footy. With the Warriors he will be earning $80K straight out of school. Thats guaranteed if he can make it to preseason in November. The rugby dream isn't...

11. dantheman
    Join:
    Sep 11, 2017

dantheman U20's Player

Just read Nathan Ryan's blog q+a and he said that nanai will be in the squad next year.

"Just signed a half from NZ rugby. Kid is a gun. He's 18 and Manly were after him hard. I'll probably write about him next week. He's in the NRL squad next season"

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

12. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

I think he may be talking about Hayze Perham he's a half whose just been signed, Nanai was signed a while ago and is a center/wing/fullback

13. dantheman
    Join:
    Sep 11, 2017

dantheman U20's Player

yea i thought that as well then he said further up in a different question that he was talking about nanai. Sounds like he was just confused. I really hope that nanai is here next season though.

14. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

Etene Nanai selected in NZ 7s. Good luck to him, will be a future star but in the different code.

15. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Check out this dog act by NZR.

Revealed: Warriors threaten to block teen sensation from All Blacks Sevens debut in Sydney
    26 Jan, 2018 6:00pm
    3 minutes to read

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Nanai-Seturo is contracted to the Warriors but has been named in the All Blacks Sevens. Photo / Photosport.co.nz

A tug of war between rugby and rugby league for highly promising dual code star Etene Nanai-Seturo could see his involvement in the All Blacks Sevens team this weekend hit with an injunction.

A fight between the Warriors and NZR over the playing services of the talented teenager has gone on for months and its outcome could have huge ramifications for future cross code switches.

Nanai-Seturo is contracted to the Warriors but has been named in the All Blacks Sevens team for the Sydney round this weekend. It is understood he has committed himself to the Chiefs Super Rugby franchise as well.

The 18-year-old dual-code star signed a five-year deal with the Warriors at the age of 15 and that deal doesn't expire until the end of 2019. During his time with the NRL club he received all the benefits of a contracted player with the club investing time and money into his development.

But midway through last year the St Kentigern's College product sent the Warriors a resignation letter – not a request for a release from his contract – an important difference. The Warriors were prepared to offer him an upgraded $200,000 a year deal to be part of their first grade side in 2018 but the situation remained unresolved until coming to a head this week.

By naming him in the All Blacks Sevens team it appears that NZR doesn't think his contract with the Warriors holds any value. Contracts signed by a minor (under 18) are not deemed binding in New Zealand.

However Nanai-Seturo is understood to have signed his agreement in conjunction with his parents and an agent so age should be irrelevant.

What is more relevant is that Nanai-Seturo appears to have resigned from one code to take up another. Usually to get out of a fixed term contract both parties must mutually agree to resolve the deal. The Herald spoke to a couple of different player agents, who didn't want to be named, that admitted there is potential for the resignation concept to stand up in court. If that were to happen it could see any sports person cross codes immediately upon sending a letter of resignation.

The Warriors are understood to be angry at Nanai-Seturo and at NZR for working behind the scenes to get out of their arrangement and are likely to take legal action. They would consider a formal release for Nanai-Seturo but are seeking compensation for their investment in him. The Warriors could demand an injunction be slapped on Nanai-Seturo to prevent him playing sevens this weekend.

When contacted by the Herald, Warriors chief executive Cameron George refused to comment on the situation, claiming it was "an employment matter," while NZR also refused to make public comment.

Stan Martin, the agent that signed Nanai-Seturo's contract, told the Daily Telegraph that rugby has done the dirty on the Warriors.

"Unfortunately rugby in New Zealand is very powerful, they've disregarded any league contract Etene has," Martin said.

"Etene looks and appears to want to play rugby and has gone down that path.

"Rugby is still yet to talk to the Warriors and myself, so it's a wait and see.

"Unless we spend money, there's no way we can really pursue the issue."

It is understood Nanai-Seturo has walked out on a separate agreement with Martin and is now using well-known rugby agent Simon Porter to act on his behalf.

Porter refused to comment when contacted by the Herald.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

The Warriors should proceed towards litigation in my view otherwise I can see this scenario being repeated again in the future.

What use is there in landing a talent scout like Peter O’Sullivan if NZR can swoop in at the 11th hour and take our most talented future league stars despite contractual arrangements.

A court ruling on the side of the NZ Warriors could help to define this ambiguous area around contractual agreements with minors and parent/guardian co-signatories which would draw a line in the sand between our future Rugby League prospects in this country and NZR.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2018
  16. Canadian_WarriorFan
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2013

Canadian_WarriorFan 1st Grade Fringe

Good for the Warriors, don't let them get away with it!

17. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno Water boy Contributor

Maybe we can do a trade for Nanai's contract.

18. Pap_Warrior
    Join:
    Sep 12, 2013

Pap_Warrior U20's Player

It's not a great look for the young man but I understand him getting cold feet on the Warriors. I am more concerned about the $200,000 contract that we were offering. It seems like a lot to offer a kid, no matter what his schoolboy reputation is. I hope this gets sorted ASAP so he can shine in rugby and the Warriors can move on with some compensation.

19. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Clearly the Warriors are sending a warning shot to NZR not to fuck with them in the future. For that reason alone a precedent must be set. Doubt they would want him back if his heart isn't there...

20. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

That’s the key in all this, the Warriors need some kind of doorstop to keep Rugby from just waltzing through as if they don’t even exist.

A fat cheque would at least be some kind of acknowledgement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List