Farewell Andy - RIP

Discussion in 'Social Forum' started by Miket12, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

For those of us from the old VOT days may remember a poster called Andy Rahman who used to lived out West Auckland and had moved to Australia. Andy kept a lot of us updated with what was happening around Bethels Beach when Sonny Fai went missing.

Andy worked in a Vodafone store and was also a part-time DJ.

Andy's battle with cancer and his bucket list was written about last year in the Herald.

Sadly, Andy lost his battle with cancer this week.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

RIP buddy.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

2. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Terminally ill Kiwi ticking off bucket list
    13 Feb, 2016 2:04pm

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Andy Rahman with fiancee Emma Taplin. Photo / Fiona Goodall
    NZ Herald

Terminally ill New Zealander Andy Rahman is set to tick the biggest item off his bucket list - getting married to the love of his life.

The 43-year-old, who was diagnosed with stage four lymphatic cancer in October last year and given between six months and two years to live, created a Facebook "bucket-list" in October last year to help him live life to the fullest.

At the top of that list, after proposing to partner Emma Taplin, was marrying her.

Last Friday, Australian-based Rahman received a phone call from My Wedding Wish - an Australian group of wedding suppliers who grant dream white weddings to couples in hardship or where one person or both are terminally ill - that would make that dream a reality.

"We were over the moon. We had a bottle of bubbly sitting in the fridge waiting for a special occasion so we opened that up and had a few drinks to celebrate," Rahman said.

The grant, worth $15,000, will pay for a celebrant, a wedding dress, suit hire, the venue, catering and vehicle hire for the couple's big day.

They will however have to pay for a reception themselves and for friends and family to fly from New Zealand to be with them.

Rahman and Taplin will tie the knot on April 21 at an undecided location on the Sunshine Coast.

Rahman is confident the wedding will be everything they have dreamed of.

"We are only doing this once so we are going to do it right," he said.

The treatment efforts were successful but only for a short time.

"After my big operation, they monitored me every three months," he said. "Then we got the news that it had spread into his lymphatic system and there are now three tumours in his back lymph nodes and the thing with being in your lymphatic system, is that you can't operate on that," said Taplin.

That sad news prompted Rahman to create the Facebook page Andy's Bucket List. The page has garnered hundreds of likes from supporters and drawn in offers of help.

As well as the wedding Rahman will also be able to tick off a helicopter ride from his bucket list.

"A person on my Facebook page emailed Red Balloon (an online experience gift retailer based in Australia) who have generously donated helicopter rides over Brisbane," he said.
    The couple have not decided when they will be taking up the offer.

Still to achieve on his list is a V8 experience, going to the Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercar race, going to Canada for a holiday and now a honeymoon which they hope will be on "a tropical island somewhere".

"At the end of the day, when my time comes, I don't want to look back and think, 'Oh I didn't do this and I didn't do that," he said.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

I fucken hate that disease, just at a memorial today for an uncle that died from it the other day, missus went to the funeral of another friend last Saturday that died from it, given 2 to 4 weeks when diagnosed, made it to 5. She was the one I posted about on the religion thread the other week, her 4 daughters and grand kids now have to book to fly to Britain to say goodbye to their father who cancer will make sure won't see the year out. I'm also a mate of TV builder Cocksy and as you may be aware he's another currently on a count down.

Many here won't know your wife's and your experience Mike, I hope that's still on the up and we also have from here Hitman. evil disease that destroys families.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Cocksy ill is he?

Seen an older chippy mate die of lung cancer caused by asbestos. Fucking sucks seeing the life drain away from them as they get weaker and weaker. Even worse when the kids are still young.

FUCK CANCER...

5. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Yeah he was given 2 to 4 years a while ago now, started with a sore back and down on energy, then pissing blood. Surgeons took a kidney straight away, but now has spots all over the place. He's just building a house down by the causeway bridge heading towards the beach past where you stay on Manaia Rd, the freaky bit, the couple I referred to in the other post were his next door neighbours. His land backed onto theirs. Drank a few beers and had a few BBQs at both places. fuckin hope it ain't spreading, but to have 3 people that shared a driveway all get diagnosed with terminal cancer within weeks of each other. Faaaarrrrk.

6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

WTF the ground been tested? Water???

7. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Honestly probably just bad luck and coincidence, three different people three different types of cancer. And lets not forget Gods a cunt.

8. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

She's free of the cancer - although it's really aggressive they got it early enough. Worse that the disease for her, has been the cure.... chemo is so toxic and the effects of it can stay in your body for a lot longer than the medicos tell you. You're just given a half dozen pages of what could go wrong and that's it. Then you just left hoping that if you're going to have a side effect, it's this one and not that one!!!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

10. Destructodisc
    Join:
    Oct 3, 2016

Destructodisc U20's Player

Oh no man... I used to chat with this cat back when I was part of the KD group. I thought he had more time. This is like a punch in the guts. See you in the next life bro

11. RICHMAN
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2017

RICHMAN U20's Player

Hi Mike, Yeah I remember Andy well from the VOT days and often thought how he was going over in Aussie. We spent many days out at Bethels looking for Sonny with us both being locals, So sad to hear.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

A few of the KDs attended his funeral. Great group that one...