General Discussion Footballing Department Recruiting

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Miket12, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:10 AM.

1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

With the NRL making the clubs stick to a salary cap next year, and the Warriors not spending up to the new salary cap, who do you think the Warriors should go after from other teams.

The Football dept. cap is set at $5.7 mil next season. The Sharks, Titans, Tigers, Dragons, Cowboys, Knights and us are the only clubs that spent under that for the 2016 season.

The Raiders and Eels both spent over $8 mil; Bulldogs, Bunnies, Broncos, Roosters and Panthers spent over $7 mil; and Storm and Sea Eagles over $6 mil.

So, if the clubs that are over need to shed staff, anyone you think the Warriors should go after? Remember, clubs won’t get rid of the elite coaches so it would be more like their support staff

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Get some doping experts, nothing else has worked.

3. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

If the rumours are true with Brian Smith and Peter O'Sullivan combined with Corvo I'm pretty happy with that.

I would like a skills/technique coach who is focused specially on our under 20 type players as I feel our young players start off too far behind their Australian peers.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 11
    • List
  4. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Seeing how far the Broncos are over the new football dept. cap, it wouldn't surprise me if they were forced to let Corvo go in order to reduce their wages bill. Good for us - not so much for them!!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

This is the cap that has been talked about for a few years now to cover the coaching staff salaries, sports science, gym equipment etc?

This will help bring down the clubs spending seeing which is a good thing from a business point of view seeing as how many have needed help from the NRL recently.

From someone who is interested in exercising, nutrition, sport science it is interesting to see what clubs do to get an edge. Now it could be a case of balancing where you spend your money. Or we wait for the Sydney clubs to complain so we can have TPA's for club spending.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I agree with much of what’s been said but there are a couple of areas I’d like to see us recruit too, one is a wrestling coach, what’s John Donehue doing now? is he still with the Storm?? pair him with Alex Corvo and we’d really have something, maybe we can stop leaking 24 points a game!

The other area is not directly related to the football department but it’s an area where I feel we really let ourselves down as a club, I’m talking TPA’s, the NRL will swear until their blue in the face that it’s the most evenly contested comp in the world but we all know that’s just not true, we’re one club in an entire country, can’t we find the right somebody who can facilitate these third party deals to make us a more lucrative prospect to better quality players the way the Roosters, Bronco’s and Storm manage too.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

Maybe if League ever becomes a true international sport, NZ will find more interest in supporting it financially. But at the moment, i really cant see it.

Also look at Melb. The only thing that made the Storm a self funding organisation, was when they got their wins stripped for screwing the cap and people actually joined the club in protest at a melb sporting franchise that was seen as being attacked by the rest of Australia.

Maybe thats what the warriors need. some fundamental threat to make kiwis stand up and say hands off our team.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Interview with one of the new recruits

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

9. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

The more we hire micro skills guys the better our chances.

Where is the passing and Kicking guy....if this was an Olympic sport there would be a coach refining those glaringly horrible Warrior deficits.

Farkin Rugby code dreamers.

• List
  10. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

Being attacked by NSW, that is a red rag to any self respecting Victorian.

• List
  11. Paulo24
    Join:
    Mar 3, 2014

Paulo24 Warriors Bench Player

Hope bumper helps us more than he helped Gold Coast!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

What i take out of that interview is that Kearney appears to understand what is needed. Good signs imo.

• List
  13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

The Chinese guy who tiled my bathroom and could barely speak English could tell you what is needed. This forum has basically been harping on about it for the last 6 years. Every coach we have since Cleary has known. The key is does Mooks know how to actually achieve what is needed?

Proof will be in the pudding. I'm not getting my hopes up an iota...

14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Your Chinese guy told you there were too many South Auckland bros in the side did he, and too many slack arses working around the club and a CEO full of bullshit?

15. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Agree but at least he appears to be trying to make the right steps.

• List
  16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Give Cameron George a chance. He's only been in the job a couple months...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

The reason the NRL don’t make public the TPA’s is that it would de bunk there bullshit about an even comp.
    There are a few clubs who have TPA’s hanging out of there arse, and others who have very little.
    Broncs and Roosters will tell you it’s a real even comp.

• List
  18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I meant Jim Doyle but with this Blake Green thing George seems to be trying to match Doyle anyway.