General Discussion Forgotten Warriors?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by matiunz, Apr 14, 2018.

1. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Was having a look through some old squads and can’t really remember the following players playing for the Warriors.
    Anyone able to remember anything of significance about any of these guys?

Mike Dorreen
    Iva Ropati
    Aaron Lester
    Steve Buckingham
    Meti Navaoo
    David Bailey
    Zane Clarke
    Frank Watene
    Peter Lewis
    Carl Doherty
    Boycie Nelson
    Talite Laiva’a
    Scott Coxon
    Matt Spence
    Ben Lythe
    David Mulhall
    Jonathan Smith
    Jason Temu
    Jeremiah Pai
    Danny Sullivan
    Shannon Stowers
    Herewini Rangi
    Kane Ferris
    Paul Atkins
    Corey Lawrie
    Daniel O’Regan
    Mataupu Poching

2. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Lester and another former warrior Hitro Okesene live in Cumbria in NW England. This event
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    was for a bloke who was in my year at school

3. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

Iva Ropati - Center ... Brother of John, Peter & Tea ... Former Otablu ... Played a few FG games for the NZW & Parramatta & a few tests for NZ ... Now Principal of Howick College

Steve Buckingham - Half / Standoff ... Mt Albert stalwart ... Won multiple comps with Mt Albert as both a player & a coach ... played 1 possibly 2 FG games for NZW in 95

Meti Noovao - Utility ... Schoolboy star ... Junior Kiwi ... Former Otablu ... Played only 1 FG for us & 1 test for the Cook Islands

Frank Watene - Prop / 2nd Row ... Schoolboy star ... Junior Kiwi ... Former Otablu ... Played only 1 FG game NZW ... Rep NZ Maori & Tonga ... ended up playing for quite a few clubs over in the Super League

Boycie Nelson - Center ... Schoolboy star ... Former Glenora Bear ... Played a handful of FG games for NZW ... Rep NZ Maori ... Ended up in the Super League

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, I only remember those guys cos I played with them or against them back in the day ... Now I feel old :oldman::(:p

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. Goosestep
    Join:
    Jan 22, 2013

Goosestep U20's Player

I went to school with Peter Lewis in Cambridge. He played only a handful of games for the Warriors before a brief stint (couple of seasons) at Parramatta. Good dude, played in the second row and sometimes prop.

5. Juju
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

Juju 1st Grade Fringe

Dan O'Reagan, Captained a star studded 2008 u20s & touted as a future Warriors captain - played 1 game in 2009. Signed for the Storm but only lasted one year there. Came back to NZ and played for Mt Albert for a few seasons.

6. Juju
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

Juju 1st Grade Fringe

Upu Poching - went to France for a few seasons then came back and played Vulcans / Reserves (as recently as last year?)

7. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

MikeDorreen was a skinny outside back who played in our first year, had a few games as I remember and had some pace, I thought he was almost a good NRL player, seemed like he had the attributes other than size but never quite made it. Think he went to another club after us.
    Might have been an Endacott buy as he was from Canterbury i think

8. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

One I always liked was Doc Murray, I thought he was good for ISP or whatever it was called then and think he had a few 1st grade games. I thought he would make the step up to NRL but didnt seem to.

9. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

He's from my home town. So before the Warriors stared you would often get people around town telling you what was going at the club like they were in the now or something. One of my mates is a cousin of his or his cousin was going out with him but I never saw him around town.

He played a game at fullback. A Friday night game at Brookvale.

Then went to Wigan with Monie or Endacott along with one of the young front rowers. Then came back to play local league, might have played Lion Red Cup or other national comps. One of my mates would tell me he was playing for <insert club>. Think he also ended up playing union in Rotorua for a while.

10. Falcon
    Join:
    May 29, 2012

Falcon 1st Grade Fringe

Who was the player, a back (possibly fullback), in which his first carry was up the nights run it straight and got absolutely smaaaaashed. I think v the Broncos?

Edit:

Was Paul Atkins! v the Roosters (his one and only game)

"Atkins came on midway through the second spell and was subsequently smashed in two massive tackles from Roosters enforcer Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.with his first two touches. The lightweight winger or fullback made the mistake of carting the ball straight up at one of the hardest hitters in the NRL but got straight to his feet on both occasions to his credit." - Wikipedia

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

He was at the first home game this year. Still a very passionate fan of the Warriors...

12. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

Horriors2013 1st Grade Fringe

Ahh memories.. Had buck teeth when we were young, hence his nickname "Buck" lol, until he got braces. We played for Bears and KBHS together.. We had a pet play where he'd offload to me in the tackle, disengage, run around me, I'd dummy to him, step off my right foot, then straighten up run to the line untouched. Worked most times against new teams as they never would have guessed a guy my size could sprint that fast. When Guttenbeil and Matt Rua came to KBHS in my last year, they combined with us to beat St Pauls for the first time..Crack up cos Cliff Beverley played one game for us and he was shocking..

If Stacy Jones had not have been so good, it would have been Steve Buckingham and one other guy whose name escapes me, vying for the 7 at Warriors..there were actually a number of good young 7s in Auckand in that era..

13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

14. Ref
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Ref 1st Grade Fringe

He coached Otumoetai Eels from Tauranga in their early days and is a really good referee. Hes got the pink jersey back on this year.

15. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Buzzer (Dorreen) was my coach when I was a kid then I ended up playing with him when he was winding his career down.
    Spent a bit of time at the tigers and carved us up one game.
    Gun player.

16. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

2 x New Lynn players there , Bucky & Fluff.

17. crump81
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

crump81 NSW Cup Player

Peter Lewis... from memory the guy got a bad rep from being on the bench one match waiting to be subbed in, and kept slagging off on team mates - didnt go down too well.
    Carl Doherty... the only albino warrior, played a few games at fullback during the super league season if I remember correctly.
    Shannon Stowers... was quite into playing grid iron, wouldnt be surprised if he went and played somewhere in the states after his warriors stint.

18. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

19. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

Shontayne Hape hasn't aged a bit.

Carl Doherty from that list was a funny one. He was a sales rep for a sunglass company that dealt with the Warriors. Got called up to first grade, he had white hair and look like an Albino. He ended up kicking something like 17 straight conversions.