General Discussion General Warriors News

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Mar 14, 2013.

1. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

I wouldn't bother trying to defend them. It's not that crazy to suggest a side or franchise is detracting from a competition. Half the super rugby sides are absolute shit and that comp needs a cull, there's nothing special about the NRL that makes it above similar talk. I would suggest the Knights are in a deeper hole than us, but they've at least had some past success to fall back on. Personally I don't see the Warriors winning a premiership for a long time, if ever. I think we're probably on the verge of a Newcastle style 'rebuild' with very little light at the end of the tunnel. If we're being brutally honest, we are a club where careers come to die. Where players basic skills, fitness, attitudes nose dive, basically never to recover to pre-Warriors levels. No prior or current strategies on or off the field have worked, save for perhaps a couple of 2-3 year periods. Doyle's current strategy of recruiting Kiwis looks grand on paper but is arguably producing some of our worst ever performances. I expect to see him fall on his sword at the end of this season, as he probably should, though he's at least tried something different. In short, there's almost nothing to be positive about regarding this club and the direction it is headed.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

2. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

Off-contract Warriors centre Matt Allwood has been dealt a mighty blow.

Last week the former Raider was stuck in a Sydney hospital for a week after suffering two broken ribs and a punctured lung playing NSW Cup.

3. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Rothfield himself before the 2011 Grand Final said the Warriors are one of the most valuable sides to the competition due to the numbers brought in by Sky. He now goes from that to what do they bring to the competition. He is known for massive flip flop in opinions or fans pulling him up on previous articles with an opposing view.

This does come across as a journalist needing an article and decides on a topic and goes for it with his opinion. To be honest with our recent performances we do deserve criticism and we probably get off lightly. Where it always gets funny is whenever the Australians want to criticize the Warriors it ends up with "Why are the in the competition" or "Lets kick them out" etc.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Matulino#1 1st Grade Fringe

Realistically I think we should take it as a compliment.

I generally think they want us to do well, that doesn't mean winning the comp every year but at least be a competitive force.

5. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Jordan G Warriors 1st Grader

The main problem with the article is that people actually read what buzzard breath writes.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. davo
    Join:
    Apr 29, 2016

davo U20's Player

What I'm looking for is the absolute bottom from which the recovery will stem!. What is it that will be the catalyst for improvement or has it already happened and it's too early to see..

• List
  7. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Said for a long time that until they take home a Wooden Spoon they won't hit rock bottom.

For all their failings, only 7 finals appearances in 22 years, they are yet to finish stone cold mother fuckingly last.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  8. BiggerD
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

BiggerD 1st Grade Fringe

Well the Bookies have the Warriors as clear favorites against the Broncos this week
    At least they believe in the Warriors ;)

Simon Mannering has been missing over the last 2 weeks.
    He organises the defense. He is SO Valuable to the Warriors Psych and attitude

Last edited: May 22, 2017

9. Trugoy
    Join:
    Apr 3, 2016

Trugoy 1st Grade Fringe

After the piss weak performances they've been throwing up I don't think most of these blokes would care fuck all about getting the wooden spoon.

10. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

It looks like this forum will continue ;)

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg: NZ Warriors here to stay

DAVID LONG
    • "The Warriors are a key part of our competition and they are here to stay," Greenberg said.

"Every team has its highs and lows and we would all like to see the Warriors performing at their best.

"I have no doubt that will happen and in the meantime the Warriors will continue to be an important part of our competition."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. sports editor Phil Rothfield has called for the club to be relocated to Perth or Brisbane, citing poor TV ratings as a reason why the NRL should quit New Zealand.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
      PHOTOSPORT
      The Warriors had another tough night at the office on Friday in Hamilton.

However, the Warriors' TV ratings are believed to be up around 40 per cent in New Zealand this year.

They also haven't had any of their games in the primetime Australian TV slots of the second game on a Friday night, or playing on Saturday evenings.

Mike Colman in Brisbane's Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. also wrote at the weekend that the Warriors should be axed.

"Why are we bothering? Surely there are other clubs that actually want to play in the NRL?" he wrote.

But for Greenberg to so emphatically throw his support behind the Warriors and their future should end any debate that the club could be relocated.

If the Warriors were to disappear it could be the death knell for rugby league in New Zealand, a place that's been a breeding ground for players from the other 15 NRL clubs. With the Kiwis so rarely playing on home soil, the Warriors are the public face of the sport in this country.

While the club have been making strides off the field in recent years, in terms of their financial management, community work, facilities, social media following, the on field action continues to be a struggle and ultimately it's how the Warriors will always be judged.

The Warriors have won just four of their 11 games so far this season and they've followed the similar pattern of having a slow start to their campaign.

But the season is approaching the State of Origin period, where the Warriors traditionally do better and no doubt club management will be hoping that a good run over the next six weeks will provide them with the impetus to get their season back on track.

The bounce back they hope will come in Saturday night's game against the Broncos at Mt Smart Stadium.

- Stuff

• List
  11. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

Its Fox Sport turn now on the Warriors.

$1 million ‘victim’: NRL greatest talent going to shameful waste at Warriors — Highs, Lows and Big Blows
    • by DAN WALSH AND NATHAN RYAN
    • Source: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    WARRIORS skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck recently described his second half against Penrith as the worst of his career.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. when his move back across the ditch for a motza was announced two years ago, that Tuivasa-Sheck would become one of the “great young talents (that) often disappear” at the club.

Shaun Johnson has known nothing but the Warriors fade-outs, fumbles and failings throughout his stilted career, and it shows.

One of few in the game somehow boasting even more potential than Tuivasa-Sheck, Johnson’s recent two-year extension has reportedly made him the first $1 million a season player in the club’s history.

Dragons destroy Warriors

Fox Sports
    analyst and champion Dragons centre Mark Gasnier says Johnson has become an extremely expensive ‘victim’ of the Warriors’ deep-seated woes.

“You think of what this guy has, he is the most talented halfback in the game,” Gasnier told Fox Sports News after Johnson and the Warriors slumped to a dreadful 30-14 loss to an understrength St. George Illawarra.

“Think of (Johnathan) Thurston and how talented (Anthony) Milford is. I’m probably prepared to say Shaun Johnson has more natural talent than Anthony Milford and that’s a big statement.

“He’s probably a victim of the Warriors. When I’m going to look back over the era I played in I can say they under achieved.

“ ... For the talent they’ve had over a long period of time, they have definitely underachieved without a doubt and that’s not having a dig at the Warriors club.

“I want to see the Warriors succeed ... But until they change their mindset and their commitment to the gritty hard stuff, I don’t think they ever will reach their potential.”

Kieran Foran’s arrival heralded what now looks to be another false dawn for the Warriors.

Kieran Foran and Shaun Johnson have been well off the pace recently.Source: Getty Images
    Just as they looked to have turned the corner in the past month, they fell of a cliff with the most devastating second-half collapse in the history against the Panthers.

Foran — understood to still be feeling the effects of his ongoing hamstring complaints — had briefly shown Johnson what it was like to play alongside a quality controlling half every week.

So much so that it had the Kiwi halfback contemplating the greener grass in Sydney before inking the lucrative extension that keeps him in Auckland until the end of 2019.

But against the Dragons the pair combined for just one run and three running metres in 80 painful minutes, punctuated by bizarre fifth tackle options and a wayward kicking game.

Coach Stephen Kearney has headaches all over the shop with a roster that on talent alone should be top eight certainties, but on commitment and application are nothing but also-rans.

And quick fixes are not exactly fast at hand with a forward pack that’s outgunned and edge defence that crumbles as soon as a shot is fired.

The Warriors can ill afford their star halves pairing performing like D-List duds, and in 2018 Foran is off to Canterbury, leaving Johnson to carry the Warriors can once more.

It’s a pretty penny being paid, for what's proving a very ugly job.

• List
  12. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I dunno if it'll happen but keep slamming them until they take it personally.

• List
  13. Toopi is King
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

Toopi is King 1st Grade Fringe

I understand the reasoning that the Warriors wouldn't be kicked out of the comp because of the marketability and the interest it creates, however I'm sure the Wellington Phoenix were like that at one stage too. Then what happened?

Wellington started losing more and more games, became a joke of a team to play against, crowds stopped attending due to lack of chance of winning, sales of phoenix gear naturally started not selling that well with the lack of interest, next thing you know they are struggling to keep in the comp.

Warriors- 5 seasons not being in the top 8 in a row. Have not won an away game for ages, teams are not phased or worried about playing them as they see it as an easy game with little challenge, not attracting any new fans and losing fans, crowd attendances dropping, festival matches don't even work. So I'm not saying we will be kicked out of the comp this season, as that won't happen, but if we continue down this path, it will only take another 2 seasons of poor performances before the Aussie fans, (slightly more than the total of kiwi fans), will be sick to death of the shite that is served up and demand the NRL scrub them to let in a local team. My glass is probably half empty, but I see this as a real possibility unless we make major changes sooner rather than later.

14. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

i guess the fix for the warriors problems is pretty easy at the end of the day.

Tell all first graders that have contracts that end this year that their contracts are over. let them show everyone what they can offer in isp for the rest of the year, they will decide their own fate, but it wont be with the warriors.

promote all second tier to starting spots. Shit at the end of the day at least they like winning.

And then recruit heavily for next year with an eye to big props first. Throw the chq book at NAS and Grahame. start there. Build for next year from scratch. spend half the salary cap on the top 5 players and make sure most of them are in the front row. Pad out the remainder on the rest and then fill left over spots with juniors.

It may not give you a top 4 side but at least you'll see some passion coming through. And i believe break back into the top 8

15. cro.warrior
    Join:
    Jul 14, 2013

cro.warrior 1st Grade Fringe

Warriors are investing in wrong players,
    It is like having a race car with great driver, but shit engine ( warriors forward pack), and you just ignore engine and buy more great drivers but engine is still shit.
    I hope we get more articles and comments like fox and Daily Telegraph it might give them well overdue
    kick in backside.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  16. FAN
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2014

FAN 1st Grade Fringe

I agree with you, but they had the offer from Toovey to coach, but went with Kearney instead....

I myself felt SK, when announced was the better fit for the club, but then, there lies the problem I guess, the better fit, being the Bro culture is the problem? Or the better fit being the hard nosed coach is the answer......catch 22. DA was the latter, got us to the finals, but sunk faster than the Titanic past that......Yet IC was neither, and we made the finals with him. Go figure.

• List
  17. Khaboom
    Join:
    Apr 22, 2016

Khaboom Warriors Bench Player

I like the team picked to play the bye this weekend. I think this one's in the bank.

18. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Interesting thoughts. I'd have to agree

• List
  19. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Won't change anything. Have a look at Cleary's 3rd try - Bully literally watched him run past.

• List
  20. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

that was a complete lack of team focus from an individual IMO. It pisses me off seeing one of our supposedly better players racing out of the line and creating opportunities out of nothing for the opposition. People give SK shit for the 'process' but I can guarantee that play wasn't part of the defensive process. Garbage.

They targeted Afoa and Luke all night and eventually they get the results from them.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List