Gerard Beale

1. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

It's a great problem to have.
    Injuries permitted I think he will be our bench utility or him and Hiku will share that role.
    Jazz only covers 9 and the forwards we need a utility back also.

2. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

I recon since they like having high impact and extra energy late, that they would get way more out of Kata coming on for that role than slowmo Beale riding the line probably not seeing as much game time as you would give a fired up Kata....yep good problems...no absolute wrong way to look at it.

The Sharks carried Beale as spare parts so what do I know...

Kearney more especially Cappy loves Kata....Kearney Loves Beale...cant wait for the decision to play out.

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

IMO Beale's only place in the current team and its current position is on the bench for Jazz Tevaga. Even that I feel is harsh on Jazz who has gone gangbusters since playing but I appreciate Beale may have a lot more experience to offer...

4. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Kata has a real opportunity to force selection over Beale. But I reckon Kearneys plan was always to have Beale at Left center to unlock Ken Maumalo's try scoring.

It's going to be an interesting contest between the two of them. Structure and timing over raw power and pace?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  5. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

A great problem to have at the moment on how to fit an international into the side.

At the moment we are not desperate to bring him in. Or can we justify dropping anyone on performances.

To me after a long injury it doesn't matter how much running or training he does there will still be a bit of a mental hurdle. We saw the same with Johnson when he came back.

Sure he's expensive to have in the ISP Cup side but he can get some full 80 minutes under him. But we can then assess his performances against the starting side or debate where he could fit in.

A nice problem to have compared to where we usually are needing to rush guys back in due to lack of experience or the side is struggling.

A pity he isn't back a bit earlier. As we have a short turn around coming up. Could help ease the workload on bringing him in then.

6. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Check out the build change.

7. Tedster
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2014

Tedster 1st Grade Fringe

Conspiracy theory that Beale playing at 4 for the ISP? No? :cigar::cigar::cigar:

8. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Beale is a class act. I’ve got time for him but he needs ISP to dust off that rust before taking Hiku’s or Kata’s spot. Not fussed which one.

9. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

I am really happy for GB to be back so soon in the season after such a horrendeous injury.

Agree with other posters that giving him 80 mins in ISP is good for him and good for our depth.

If we keep winning it will be tough for him to displace either Kata or Hiku, given the unique attributes they possess on attack. Sure if we lose swap someone out. His ability to play fullback and wing as well makes him a great option for injury cover.

His great experience at NRL and International level is partly why we bought him and I think he wil get his chance in first grade soon enough.

10. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Beale was a perfect fit for our club when he was signed. Way too good to be sitting on the bench for the Sharks. Solid all rounder with international credibility.

He was signed on the promise of first grade, and that's exactly what should happen imo.

11. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

He looks beefed up , maybe will take katas position.

12. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

I think it will be at least 4 weeks before they even consider bringing him into first grade (unless through injuries). Hiku may be a turnstile and Kata might not be offering that much at the moment, but Beale is being a little bit overrated on this forum imo. Ricky Leutele kept him out of a starting position at the Sharks for years. He will need to show he can take over a game at ISP level and show he has legit confidence back, which could take weeks.

13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

That is a problem successful clubs have:)
    I was sitting next to another poster last week and we both noted how SJ and Gavet seemed to be off the pace after coming back. NRL is a tough competition so there is no shame in having to play ISP, although last season many players saw it that way. Having said that it would make headlines if SJ ever had to play ISP.

14. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

I think you're underrating the bloke.

No ones come out and said that he is a great player nor anything near that level of expectation.

It is not hard to overrate a Warriors center, look at the standard one cant tackle the other cant pass.

Beales ahead in both those departments so it is likely he is better than both those players for our side and thats not saying much.

15. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

How do you know what he was promised?

No one is bigger than the team.

16. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

For sure. He still has to deliver for the boys...

He can't just show up and be mud and get selected. Kearney doesn't put up with that kind of shit....

But going on the momentum of his career, he's our first picked center every day of the week ATM IMO.

17. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan 1st Grade Fringe

I disagree re hard to replace Kata or Hiku. Both are nothing on offense, good defenders, but we bout GB because he is a match winner, in the league of Johnson, RTS etc, you dont bench him over Hiku or Kata. GB is bigger than the team we are playing, period.

Once GB is in that space, Johnson is going to have a winger who can step and use that slight space Johnson has created, instead of trying to run over the top of players. He will link well in set plays.

The guys played in the World All Stars team. Hes a freak and hes surrounded by freakishly good players he will surprise a lot of warriors fans who thought, this is as good as we can get, there is more to come, watch this space/his space.

18. wrighty
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2018

wrighty 1st Grade Fringe

Well we do need to up our game further as the Panthers in particular will have a stronger second half than first half. So I hope you are correct.

19. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Kata Fan Club President

God I'm glad Beale doesn't have to come back via Fox. Would hate to be an injured player next year coming back. Be better off having an opposed training run I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan 1st Grade Fringe

This is true AND they have an easy run as do the Tigers. But yes, considering they have been without particularly Cleary, panthers have been getting the job done. Id love to see us play them full strength. I think it would be quite a close match up, but I think aside from our halves, if we have Beale, wow, we have prob the best spine, amazing centre and out wings gets the job done NO question.