Golden Point

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by ToiletDuck, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jul 12, 2012
    gREVUS

gREVUS Warriors Bench Player

under your system, unless a try is scored your going to be on the pitch for the full 10 minutes with teams still trying to get a drop goal as that would make the difference when time is up. If i was the coach i would definitley encourage my team to still try for a drop goal - just in case there is no resulting try made.

Please Register(FREE) to disable all Ads.
  2. Jul 12, 2012
    ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot

Did you just provide a link to the article I copy/pasted and linked in the OP?

3. Jul 12, 2012
    wallacenz

wallacenz Warriors Bench Player

possibly, i posted it yesterday in the nrl news thread, i was just reiterating my thoughts on it. sorry if thats a problem

edit: it appears noone reads the nrl news

4. Jul 12, 2012
    ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot

Oh nah no problem, just making sure you weren't trying to post a new link/story and accidentally posted the original.

5. Jul 12, 2012
    fanrrior

fanrrior Warriors Bench Player

Maybe make it 10 minutes of extra time, meaning it isn't the first to score but the one who scores the most.

6. Jul 12, 2012
    Nekminit

Nekminit Waterboy

I agree with those who think the golden point during regular season should be dropped, 1 point for a draw will make the comp even closer by round 26. But i must admit that i find the current golden point system really entertaining. If the Warriors were even with say the Broncos with 10 minutes to go in regular time then i would be at the edge of my seat and no doubt it will be exhilirating to watch!! If they go to extra time then we get the same entertaining value all over again lol

7. Jul 12, 2012
    rugged

rugged Warriors Bench Player

I don't like Golden point, I think if anything 10 minutes of normal extra time should be played.

I totally believe that the extra time is refferd completely different to a normal game, this is a problem with the refs though and not the golden point system.

For and against are of huge importance in the NRL. Most teams finish on the same points as another so for and against is a reward for a close loss.
    You can make the same argument for a team that loses by 1 point in regular time compared to a team that get thrashed by 50. The only other solution is bonus points and I really don't think the NRL should go down that track.

8. Jul 12, 2012
    ¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors First Grader

Fix the refs, not Golden Point. I like it. It is incredibly stressful for the fans of both teams, while maybe not so much for league fans in general who don't support one of the teams over the other. It would be less exciting to play 10 minutes, most points wins. I love the adrenalin rush you get when your team is seconds from a close win or lose, but you don't know exactly when.

I don't think Golden Point is unfair on the loser. I think it is unfair on the teams who aren't involved. I believe Golden Point should be modified so there is a slight lessening of the value of a win. To me it should go like this - If a team wins in Golden Point, they record the two points win, but they do not get any points for the scoring play, regardless of a try, penalty, field goal. The win is all you receive. If you go into a Golden Point period 12-all, then you end the game 12-all but with a win recorded. You points differential is not advantaged by scoring in extra time, because you were unable to win the game in the refulation 80 minutes. This means that it is slightly less valuable to win in extra time than to win in regular time.

But I would be happy with any extra time option. Even if they dropped a player every minute until the game is decided, I would still watch and enjoy.

9. Jul 12, 2012
    Tyrael

Tyrael Warriors Bench Player

I don't mind, if they bumped the score for 3 points for a win. 1 for a draw after regulation time, and an extra point for a golden point win.

Win (in reg time) = 3
    Win (in golden point = 2
    Lose (in reg time) = 0
    Lose (in golden point) = 1

10. Jul 12, 2012
    ¿N. ig-mah¿

I hope we never get bonus points. It seems absolutely ridiculous that a team with less wins but more tries, or closer games can knock a higher team who win by less out of the finals series.

11. Jul 12, 2012
    Tyrael

Yeah, but at the moment. we get a draw for a point. You could still have less wins that someone else. two draws? = 1 less win.

12. Jul 12, 2012
    ¿N. ig-mah¿

I don't mind that. It does mean you lost less games than the team you knocked out.

13. Jul 12, 2012
    Sebastian

Sebastian Warriors Bench Player

Ain't nothin' wrong with a draw. God bless the committee that brings the draw back. The fairest result since 1908.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
  14. Jul 12, 2012
    ¿N. ig-mah¿

There was even a year where the GF was decided by a replayed match the next week, way back when. Not sure I would be happy with that. Imagine scrapping together enough to get to the GF and your team draws the game and comes back next week, without you.

There was even a year where they decided right near the end not to have a GF and the Premier was decided by the season results. I guess thats where the Minor Premiership came from.

15. Jul 12, 2012
    Tyrael

Fair point

16. Jul 12, 2012
    Ref

Ref Warriors Bench Player

A draw at the and of 80 minutes should remain a draw
    The more things become manufactured the farcical they become.

17. Jul 12, 2012
    PolarBob

PolarBob #000000

Yep for scoring scoring allocation, but not golden point per se. First to an agreed threshold of points. Whatever value that may be. Allows various methods of getting there.

That option or draws as usual in all games bar finals, which then get the usual extra time each way before sudden death for as long as it takes.

18. Jul 12, 2012
    surfin

surfin Warriors Bench Player

In the case of drawn GFs it had never happened till 1977 and then happened again in '78. Extra time was played in '77 but I don't think it happened in '78. Both games were decided in a replay the next week and oddly in both cases the losing team was held to nil.
    '77 Saints v Parra 9 all first game, 22 nil to Saints second and '78 Manly v Cronulla 11 all then 16 nil in the replay.

19. Jul 12, 2012
    ¿N. ig-mah¿

The one I like is 1909 when the GF was scheduled between the Rabbitohs and the Tigers, but was cancelled and the Rabbitohs were awarded the premiership.

I can't recall exactly, but this may have been the GF I read about where one team got the dates wrong and failed to turn up.

20. Jul 12, 2012
    Sebastian

Sebastian Warriors Bench Player

Folklore states that the Bunnies knew that the GF was still on but said nothing. If it was our first premiership, i wonder what we'd do.

As for the draw, absolutely extra time is needed in the finals series. Certainly never was, never will be needed during the regular season.