General Discussion Handling Expectations.

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by jonno, Aug 11, 2018.

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

We're now back into an expectation phase of the Warriors roller-coaster ride.

If our winning ways continue the NZ Media will start frothing at the mouth, will ask some extreme, arrogance inducing questions, and will hoist up some very overconfident headlines.

Fans will sing their praises day and night.

But if we want to win this weekend we're going to have to buck the trend and start building on our positive momentum. This means the players will have to keep thinking and feeling how they have been thinking and feeling [when building up to our big wins], while ignoring all the hype and hysteria.

Before the Dragons game they were being written off. Before the Titans game they were being praised to high heaven. This pattern is well established over the years.

It's time for this team to mature, IMO, into a real professional outfit, that builds up to every weekend with the same winning intensity and focus that we all know they can deliver, regardless of how their last game went.

Victory or Defeat begins on Monday morning. That's the attitude this team needs to learn if they want to handle expectations IMO.

Any other ideas on the subject?

2. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

If you are a professional player living and breathing rugby league then you try and ignore both the hype and criticism and concentrate on the game.

An old cliche but one game at a time

3. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

It's actually not rocket science. It's a matter of discussing the attitudes that breed success and applying it through their preparation and games.

Watch Smith. Cronk. Slater.

Winning attitudes to go with their skills.

Bellamy preaches something like hard work makes you luckier.

Expectations should be high. And results should reflect that.

Set the bar high.

4. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Good thread.

I know it has been a big problem in the past but....quite honestly this will sound stupid...but they need to follow the process.

Kearney gave them a winningest start to an NRL season ...in other words he has the answer...they just have to doggedly stick to it and drive themselves in defence as hard as they can for as long as they can.

Our attack is a work in progress, our defence on the other hand is as good as anyone when we dig in.

I could see them go unbeaten from here into fourth because they are driving hard in defence.

The hype wont be a problem if they stick to that one area of their game.

All the chokes come from what they are doing with their defence.

The worst effect of injury to this side is not the attack....it is the impact on our defence.

One thing no one can take away from Kearney is that he has coached over the highest number of gritty defensive wins with twelve men or a million penalties.....it is his trademark....defence defence defence....sums up Kearneys process.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

I'll admit. I initially thought this thread was about our expectations of the team's handling of the ball.

Catch pass repeat

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I'm a huge fan of demoralizing defense.

If we can give our opponents the idea that they wont score more than 10 points on a good day against us, all we have to do is put 12 points up and they'll emotionally fall off their peak. Their energy levels will drop by a fraction, and tiny holes will open up all over the field for us to run through.

A footy team really only needs to be 2 or 3% off their game before they become easy meat IMO. And an absolutely ball busting defense can do that to even a great opposition when the stakes are high enough.

We need to keep our reputation for closing games down in the second half going.

Sterlo is with me on this point (or I'm with him (it's one or the other (he's won 4 premierships so he probably has the edge on me this time round to be fair))). Our second half defense v the Dragons makes us contenders, but only if everyone else believes it.

7. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Look if they turn on their best defence in a GF the opposition is restricted to twelve and under which offers the Warriors a massive chance of going better than twelve points. No other Warriors side had this ability...to tackle a team to 12 or less.

This team has showed that ability time and again.

They could have beaten the Storm.

They have beaten the Rabbits and Chooks.

They got robbed against the sharks....

They beat the dragons twice.

Rightfully they are a top four contender when they defend....the haters seem blind to these changes under SK....but that's ok Monique says they are dumb.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. mtsmart
    Join:
    Jul 19, 2013

mtsmart 1st Grade Fringe

The old pros in the team need to step up now. There are some young fellas who have not experienced finals footy at top level and will need help.

9. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I think the scars of the previous few seasons still run deep but as long as they keep taking it 1 week at a time, ignore the noise and respect the opposition then there’s no reason that we can’t beat anyone. A point worth remembering the only team we won’t get an opportunity to beat this season is the Titans(who we generally have the wood over) every other team we have either beaten or will be given another chance to beat(storm would have to be a final) and that should give us confidence

10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

My expectations are that with a full squad they can go unbeaten for five games again. That means we could win the home semi and then anything could happen, including a collapse.

11. Arfur
    Join:
    May 23, 2012

Arfur Waterboy

Agreed, we stumbled, badly, in stupid things like the 'indigenous' round, and also ANZAC day. Watch how a team like The Storm deal with the noise around them. I must say I worried about the Knights game being Luke's 250th. However, he seemed to deal with it well. Signs that Kearney is getting through to them. Stick to the process!

12. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Kearney is actually trying to instill this mentality all year he has said " just want the boys to focus on next week".

13. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

I think they will be focusing on attack this week. Let's hope the D stays benchmark.

14. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I expect their handling to be good .
    I would think if we stood a little deeper our handling
    Would be better.

15. j-bob
    Join:
    May 21, 2014

j-bob 1st Grade Fringe

Defence is what wins games.

The warriors have shown that if they turn up on game day with the attitude right... They win 90 percent of the time.

With the attitude wrong.. They lose 100 percent.

Attack takes care if itself when you are defending with the same ferocity the other side is attacking you with.

The crusaders are a classic example.

Their defence won them the super season.

16. Onewarrior
    Join:
    Jul 10, 2013

Onewarrior 1st Grade Fringe

Actually we beat the Titans earlier in the season at Mt. Smart.

17. sydneywarrior92
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

sydneywarrior92 1st Grade Fringe

I think what needs to be considered in this discussion is that unlike other top contenders with strong rosters, we are very much still at a development stage like Penrith. That means that we will naturally have some challenges adjusting to changing expectations over the coming years. We have a very young pack in particular with members who are having a break out season under the guidance of experienced players like Blair, Tohu and Luke. But they are not ready yet to take the mantle by themselves without the senior players. That's been evident by our losses against the Roosters, Souths, Melbourne and Titans. There's nothing wrong with that, the young lads will adjust with time but I think we need to be cognisant of the fact that some of our worst performances this year are part of that adjustment and may continue to some extent moving forward as well. Hopefully the young lads have used those losses as valuable lessons and should those situations reoccur in the coming weeks or in the finals we will be much better equipped. As much as I am confident we will be more than making up the numbers this year, I'm also of the firm opinion that our best years are ahead of this year.

18. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Forgot about that! Let’s just beat the sharks and the storm in the finals to collect the set :p

19. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

I think it was Smith who said about how the Warriors will have to adopt a different mindset now that they at a top side. Having every team aiming to take down one of the top dogs each week must add some pressure to a season. I have nonidea how true this is, but we did drop down the ladder eventually.
    My main concern is the finals. Compared to the other real contenders, we have very little finals experience. Hopefully the large amount of players with international experience will help counter that.

20. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

I sincerely hope we can defy expectations and make a late tun. Remember when we were 4-0 and bulldog Ritchie claimed we would crash and burn. I don't even use Twitter.... But make an exception to tweet him after every game (win or loss). Haven't had a single reply but love to remind that he predicted the cowboys for the big dance, Foran to be the feel good story of the season, the Warriors to be a flop and Mitch Moses to be the next big star. It is petty but I enjoy reminding him.....