1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Hayze Perham commits to the New Zealand Warriors
    21 Sep, 2017 8:00am
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    PROFESSIONAL: Rotorua Boys' High School first XV captain Hayze Perham has signed for NRL side the New Zealand Warriors. PHOTO/STEPHEN PARKER

Things might be looking up for the New Zealand Warriors as they have signed a young Rotorua player with all the makings of a future superstar.

It has been a tough couple of years for the Auckland-based NRL side, but this month they confirmed the signing of 18-year-old Rotorua Boys' High School first XV captain Hayze Perham.

"Obviously I know how big a change it will be going from schoolboy rugby to a professional lifestyle, so it is daunting but exciting as well," Perham told the Rotorua Daily Post.

"I've been playing rugby and league through school, but knew I had to decide between them this year. The turning point was the Warriors were able to offer me a fulltime commitment - the goal was always to leave school and fully focus on the craft, on improving and getting better as an athlete."

He said Rotorua Boys' High School had played a "huge" role in his development as an athlete.

"Looking at the other big rugby schools, they haven't supported league players in a rugby school as well as Rotorua Boys' have done. The rugby coaches and the principal Mr Grinter are really supportive of rugby players trying to make a career out of league - they don't cut down our options and I'm really grateful for them letting me choose my own path."

The highlight of his time playing rugby at Rotorua Boys' High School was winning the national top four tournament in 2015 and he was honoured to captain the side this year.

Like most young Kiwis, his ultimate goal in the long run was to play for the All Blacks, but he was looking forward to forging a career as a rugby league player.

"I've always followed the NRL, the game is really exciting. It's quite different, it's faster and I guess you could say more exciting at times.

"The base skills - passing and kicking - are the same, but the big difference I'd say is the tackling technique. It's a real technical aspect of league, like wrapping the ball, staying in tight and wrestling up top."

Rotorua Boys' High School first XV coach Ruki Tipuna said the Warriors had signed an exceptional talent.

"When I was at school I played with a lot of good players, some really good players who went on to be All Blacks. Hayze is as good as anyone I've played with or seen play at this stage. He's a really talented kid.

"He does a lot of things well, but if you had to pinpoint one it would be his attack, his ability to stand up defenders and his ability to beat a player one-on-one. But, he's also good at putting other guys away and setting other guys up, he's pretty unselfish," Tipuna said.

He will join the NRL squad at the end of the year, when he has finished school, and will be shoulder to shoulder with some of the world's best rugby league players.

"I'll be training every day with the NRL team and the coaches will decide if I play in the under-20s, the reserve grade or if I get called up into the NRL team."

He prefers to play in the halves or at fullback - positions currently filled in the Warriors side by Kiwi stars Shaun Johnson and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

"That was a huge factor in me going to the club - those are two of the best players in the world in those positions. I'm not really there to try and compete against them, it's more of a learning curve to absorb everything I can from them.

"It's a huge opportunity to not only get better on the field, but off the field as well. I'll be asking them a lot of questions and hopefully they're supportive of that."

Perham said he was very aware of the fact professional sports careers could be short-lived and for that reason it was important for him to finish his education.

"They've actually been really good, they're letting me finish all my school work and focus on that before I join the team. You have to have a back up, you're one injury away from the end of your career so I'm trying to get my university entrance and have something there to support my league career."

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    LEADER: Perham was honoured to captain the Rotorua Boys' High School first XV this year. PHOTO/FILE

He said it was rare for someone so talented to also have such a desire to work hard.

"He's already a hard worker now, he's really grounded and humble. It blows me away, I wish I was a bit more like that when I was younger and I'm sure other people do as well.

"We're stoked for him, I'd love to see him play rugby because I'm a rugby man myself and he's a great rugby player, but we're really happy for him. It couldn't happen to a better boy and I'm pretty sure he will push on to higher honours."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Working on trying to get a profile done on him but there is very little info out there on him. Only 18 years old so no surprises there. I can only assume the Warriors have him locked down on a 3 year contract at the very least...

3. Selector
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2015

Selector 1st Grade Fringe

Signed by.the club till the end of 2019.

4. Naumaifooty
    Join:
    Sep 12, 2017

Naumaifooty Warriors Bench Player

Hopefully he gets put straight into isp instead of fucking around in the 20's

5. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

I’m a often really negitve when it comes to people over hyping young kids. But bugger it I’m jumping on this one hope the kid becomes a massive star.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Ref
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Ref 1st Grade Fringe

Hes as good a backline prospect as we've had for a while.
    I see his best position as 6 or 1.
    Reads the game really well and makes opportunities for those around him.
    Not a Kata/ Hurrell type of player more a David Peachey style.
    Excelled in union this year but is far better a league player.
    Shouldn't be messed around in the 20s.
    Straight to ISP and should get a run in the trials.
    Bolter for an early first grade gig in the centres.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I'd expect him to play Jersey Flegg Cup at least for the first quarter to half of the season just to get him up to speed. Even then I'd expect to see him go up and down between the grades. Unless the kid is some superhuman it would be careless to throw him straight into ISP. He wouldn't have developed the stamina or padding needed to last a game and take the knocks he'll get playing against men. Some of whom will have a lot of NRL experience...

8. davewjnz
    Join:
    Mar 10, 2013

davewjnz 1st Grade Fringe

Nice to know the Warriors are scouting beyond the Bombay Hills for young talent

9. Centurion
    Join:
    Oct 14, 2015

Centurion 1st Grade Fringe

Totally agree with this.

The ISP side also is very competitive now already. He would be hard pressed coming up against much stronger and more physical competition and in a team that appears to be similar to last year's roster.

Ricky Henry has the JF team much better prepped too than was the case same time last year with th NYC squad under Pocklington.

10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Arguably almost Super League standard.

11. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Just bumping this thread.

12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Any particular reason why?

Interesting the Warriors approach of playing him early as a way of trying to lock him in to his contract.

If the kid is anything like his old man he'll be a great player. The old fella trained with the Kiwis and was a local legend but was surrounded by gang life...

13. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Just bumping it cause somebody asked if he could play 6 on the Hingano thread, Ref has seen a fair bit of him through the grades and reckons he could play five eight or fullback.

Can’t help but think the timing of Hingano leaving and RTS signing long term plus the Arrival Hayze Perham and the Warriors determination to keep him from NZR could all be intrinsically linked.

Then again I could be wrong.

14. Paleaaesina2the20
    Join:
    Feb 6, 2013

Paleaaesina2the20 1st Grade Fringe

I'm inclined to agree with the Hingano part of that, I think Perham might find himself playing an awful lot of ISP cup games this season. I liked the way he took the ball to the line, has second receiver written all over him whether it be in the 1 or 6 jersey.

15. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

His rugby coach said he was a good, unselfish distributor of the ball and also a natural leader - I guess the club sees him as the heir apparent for the organisational half role after Green, while Hingano was more in the SJ mould?

16. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Seems an interesting one to me. If you see a genuine star recruit such as this guy. Under the new salary cap rules keeping him in a development contract for two years could be a great option. It stops him from playing first grade but gives you a ten percent discount on the salary cap.
    If he turns out to be our next long term half then that extra but of salary cap space would come in handy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  17. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

Who was his old man? The surname doesn't ring any bells.

18. Ref
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Ref 1st Grade Fringe

I think 6 is his best position.
    Having watched/reffed him a bit in the past but not so much the last couple of years due to him playing 1st XV Yawnion.
    Saw him bossing a mens team around at end of 2016, coasting in the 6 jersey, controlling everything and too good to get tackled.
    I think his main strength is vision and ball distribution however he also has decent pace and is a gifted runner of the ball.
    Another 4/5 kegs on his frame wouldn't hurt either.

19. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

Only game I’ve really watched him play was that first trial. He seemed to have centre written all over him. Unsure what sort of kicking game he would have to be in the halves

20. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Centre.....5/8....what’s the difference?

Cheers
    Carlos Daley.