General Discussion 'I'm not convinced the Warriors will improve'

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Sep 17, 2016.

1. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Tony Veitch: 'I'm not convinced the Warriors will improve'
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Simon Mannering winning a fifth Warriors Player of the Year award is a slight on the rest of the squad, according to Tony Veitch. Photo / New Zealand Herald

There's one thing you can say about Eric Watson, he doesn't shirk the hard decisions.

This week came cataclysmic change at the Warriors, even by their standards. The term 'here we go again' springs to mind, with promises of new structures, new leaders, new success.

I've heard it all before. Remember when Watson and Owen Glenn united with promises of the greatest sporting franchise in the Southern Hemisphere or when the club addressed a lack of fitness by spending $2 million on a flash oxygen training centre? How about when the club said they'd found their golden child in the form of Andrew McFadden? The years of coaching culling was over, apparently. It turns out it wasn't.

So now we have a completely different structure led by names not even associated with league. We have promises of a much-needed winning culture, a team that can be like the Storm or Broncos. As much as I want to believe that, as a long-suffering Warriors fan, I'm not convinced.

Name me any other sports team that elicits so much frustration around a lack of effort and mental fortitude. The players have told me repeatedly over the years they waver under pressure. How is that possible? Even Watson addressed the issue at the club awards during the week, saying, "when the going gets tough, these blokes take flight".

We know there are senior players on big money who need to go. We also know it's never easy getting premiership-winning talent to the Warriors, so why would they come now?

All I want for Christmas and beyond is a Warriors team who learn the value of consistency and heart, a Warriors team that looks at Simon Mannering winning a fifth Player of the Year award and see that as a slight on them. No more excuses, please, my Warriors heart can take no more.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I agree with tony only if we don't score Foran.

Every changes if we get Foran in my books.

Everything.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

what im hoping for is that all players are on notice. IF you are not going to play to your potential then they are going to moved on. as stated we need a team thats going to believe they can win. Not a team that as soon as they drop the ball they start to think they have lost. Foran has that mentality of winning. we need more of that. It is something i wanted Hoffman to bring and have it rub off on other players

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  4. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

I don't think Foran's going to make Sweet FA difference if the forwards don't fire...

Tony's point is kind of silly: No one can be "convinced" the Warriors will improve when it's the off-season, the team have come off a lousy ending to what was anyway a pretty average season, no ball's been kicked in anger under Kearney's reign. It's all a bit "He could be great. He could be shit. I have no fucking idea.." cover every contigency and make it sound like you've got an opinion. "I dunno" isn't an opinion.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  5. PNG Kiwi
    Join:
    Apr 11, 2016

PNG Kiwi Warriors Bench Player

I thought KF was almost a done deal not taking much notice of the bulldogs chasing him as I think they would have to move a few players on. Also give SK a chance to get his feet under the desk

6. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Lets say we do get Foran, a fit RTS, Luke and SJ with SK at helm and a new management advisory board.

If we fail to fire with all this next year, I will deadest 100% stop supporting this club.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Yep, put all the seniors on notice, perform or fuck off. No doubt they will still get picked up for other clubs but it won't be what they get paid here:mad:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

In Simon Mannering wins the player of the year award again...we are in huge trouble!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List

9. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan Warriors Bench Player

Nothing changes and possibly for the worse if we get Foran. I think the Henry board is good but we needed 2 experts only, and NRL expert, sorry Ewen doesnt cut it, Henry and Peter Sterling would be perfect. No Cappy just Kearneys defense education he got Wayne and Bellamy. Wayne trained Bellamy, who trained Kearney and now Kearney went back and got more defensive focus from Wayne. If we are 80 mins fit, we defend like the big teams and we have players who believe in the winning ethos and want to play for the warriors and no other club regardless of where they are from. Then we will have a chance.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  10. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Really? you think we'd be taking a step back signing Foran?

11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

This is why my one word was apprehensive.

Kearney wont be the magic bullet. Not by himself anyway. The fact is we still have the exact same cattle that failed Cappy this season. Anyone can see that this team was down on confidence. The team aren't as bad as some would have you believe. We have a good roster but if they cant win the head game they have already lost before they even walk on the field. For some reason we were starting off really well but after one error and/or a try to the opposition the players heads all went down and stayed there for the rest of the game. Even though we were ahead most of the time.

I think they will improve myself but to what extent is anyones guess. The issues with the team are deep seated and a shift in attitude and the implementation of a new culture isnt going to change that overnight. Just like it did with Kearney at the Kiwis its about chipping away at the layers until some form appears...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  12. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The article is fair enough I suppose as it reflects how burnt out a lot of people are in the rut we have been in since 2012. We have changed the coach a few times already since then so unless this change has a big difference or fills you with a lot of confidence it is hard to see how things are going to change.

At the moment it is pretty much wait and see until we them play next season as every club sounds like potential champions during the off season. Even some wins in the early rounds where we have usually been poor might not be enough as due to the late season fad it may take majority of the season to really judge or win people back.

• List
  13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

IMO it all depends on how Foran plays.

If he plays out of his skin and adds to polish thats been lacking so badly with the Warriors since James Maloney left he'll actually spark the team from the engine room to the fullback. You see it time and time again in teams that get that one player who make the others act bulletproof.

If he fails to fire I dot think he'll change the team much. They'll simply continue to play rocks, rocks and diamonds like they have for the last 5 years.

How bad can he be though? Dont forget we had Jeff Robson with us early season so it cant get worse then that...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  14. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I don't know if I agree with that. I don't believe its a chip away thing. This team can perform and it has during the season. You're right, when things go wrong, heads drop and the rot sets in. They need to get that weak shit out of their head, and to do that they need a real leader that the players believe in.

Which brings me to Hoffman, as I honestly don't think a lot of the players respond to him. They're not inspired. He's not one of theirs. But I see Foran differently. If we can get the Foran that leads on the field, and uses all the off field drama to drive him, then players will step up - SJ, Mannering, Mutts... a siege mentality. I think I saw some of it during the season - just not consistently and often enough.

With Luke hopefully settled in, and RTS back, Foran on board, there is no reason we cant change the mentality of the club. We have to.

Apprehensive is the Warriors of old.

We need change.

And I believe in Nike. At least its good to dream.

Just do it.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  15. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Also the article doesn't mention how he will judge improvement. I know that's an odd thing to point out as its only an opinion piece not a legal document.

Is it making the 8. That is a fair judgement but like Doyle mentioned next year you have the Roosters and Souths who have been in the 8 the last few years and the Eels who lost points. Those 3 teams will be looking to improve next year.

Is it just the week to week effort and results. That going well helps meet the above.

Also from the article Watson is quick to make changes. I'd say that is all Doyle as he's at the coalface and seems like a guy that will make things happen. The coaching changes would be him seeing a change is needed. The Advisory Board is an interesting concept and seems more like a Doyle initiative.

Veitch is just burnt out as the season is still fresh. He won't be able to contain himself when Foran is confirmed.

16. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

No disrespect Mt W.

But this is the sort of weak shit I am talking about.

Feeling a little moody this evening.

This is usually the time the Warriors have finished playing....

:)

17. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan Warriors Bench Player

Watching that raiders vs panthers match. Big forwards who run hard and tackle harder, backs who take on work (centres wings) and an amazing halves combo. What do we need, some big forwards with the same winning attitude, players who ENJOY winning and give 110% every week to acheive that.

• List
  18. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

I never thought Veitch would be back on the radio waves after pushing his lady down a flight of stairs..

stranger things have happened.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

Of course they won't be any better. The group of players as they are haven't actually been totally devoid of effort all the time, there are periods where they will have a sustained crack for 80 (or 90) mins, ie all those GP games. The issue is they can go from that to looking as though they don't give a shit within the space of a week, and once that happens it usually unravels very quickly. When the squad puts in as they did for those GP games, I truly think they believe they are performing above what is expected. Sort of like me when I have a week where I exercise maybe 2 or 3 days, the following week I do jack shit because I think I've gone above and beyond expectations the previous week, when in reality all I did the week before was what I should be doing every week. These guys are just the same, when they meet the NRL standard briefly they all think they've played the game of their lives, rather than just what players at the Storm etc produce every week.

So yeah, Kearney and a bunch of guys from various organisations won't fix it, what they will do however is be able to provide a detailed dissection of all the areas we are lacking. Sort of like a post mortem, "sorry we had no idea how to fix the patient but we can tell you exactly why he died."

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  20. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

" The Auckland Warriors are amateur team that should never of been awarded NRL license in first place "

- Ian Robson former CEO speaking about his time at club in an article published in RLW Magazine in 2005.

You know after five years of not making finals, I always think back to what he said in that article. Maybe we really are just not that good enough. I think next year we will find out once and for all especially if Foran joins the team. Then we will know if Ian Robson has been right all along ... :sour:

• List