Announcement IOS and Android App Revisited

Discussion in 'Announcements, Support and Feedback' started by tajhay, Nov 30, 2017.

1. i would be willing to pay $5 for a mobile app (IPhone User)

2. I would be willing to pay $5 for a mobile app (Android User)

3. Hell NO!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Quite a large number of users on here visit the site on their mobile. We had always envisioned to provide a mobile app to make the site a bit more user friendly. Whilst we had hoped to had this available earlier and at no cost (http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/iphone-app.38299/page-2#post-550211), this is no longer possible due to increased development/licensing fees, as well as Apple insisting that you join their developer program with an annual fee (along with Google's which is more reasonable). This is ontop of increasing maintenance and development costs as the site moves onto bigger and better things in the coming 12-18 months (more on that at a later time).

So, for even suggesting a paid app, we would like to apologise beforehand.

Can i get a show of hands via the poll, if people would be keen on a mobile app(IOS and Android only), and be willing to contribute around $5 for it. It will help guide us whether we can move towards such a venture.

Information about the app:
    1) It will have realtime push notifications (alerts) as you currently get).
    2) Posting and replying to threads will be easier and faster.
    3) Browsing through the pages will be faster and perhaps a better experience than on the current mobile mode.
    4) You will only be able to access the forum aspect of the site, i.e. no tipping comps, articles, player profiles, tipping comps etc.
    5) Will be provided for free to users who are already contributors to the site. Thanks to everyone who do contribute and its greatly appreciated. A few contributors may have noticed that they had their subscription cancelled as paypal changed some rules and as such you guys are no longer being charged. Will contact impacted users soon if they want to continue.

To give you an idea, it will be similar to what Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. offer on Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. and Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.. Feel free to try it out to get an idea if its worth it.

Hope to make a decision on this before the start of next season. BTW IMO the web version of the site is pretty decent but some members dont like using it and would prefer native mobile functionality embedded. This has a lot of challenges especially with the amount of custom work this site is running.

Any questions feel free to ask.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

2. Citygirl
    Join:
    May 3, 2016

Citygirl 1st Grade Fringe

I use on my phone and would be willing to pay

3. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

i have never understood what an app does for you that you cant just get by viewing the site directly through a browser. So i would be a no.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  4. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah im in, providing I have sufficient privileges to reply there..:rolleyes:

5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I sometimes use the phone when I am watching a game live. Trouble is the auto text keeps changing what I post:eek:, so I get laughed at. That would be the same for an app too wouldn't it?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  6. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Sorry in advance.

True. It's mostly for notifications but the interface to type is easier and also faster. But the costs as well as constant updates is something we can live without but at the same time its a popular suggestion hence opening it up to the users. Users who have used tapatalk would know that the experience is better but can be a nightmare in the administrative side. Personal opinion, I would rather not.
    You can turn autocorrect off so your posts will start to make sense mate ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  7. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Probably wouldn't use one myself, although I'm all for small developers being paid to build something (I'm surrounded by them where I work). Tablet and I use Safari, works fine

8. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

I’m pretty happy with how the site runs on my ph (iPhone) only functionality issue I’ve ever had is with the player ratings which lagged to the point where I stopped using it

• List

9. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

And here I was thinking that you communicated with drums and smoke signals ;)

Personally, I just use a web browser when on a phone or a tablet - a lot of the apps seem more trouble than they're worth.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  10. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

I think you'll find you have the same phone as Donald Trump..

11. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

At the moment I would have to op for what i have.
    as a poor man that use to listen/watch the computer screen when guys at the game or home use to write on the nz forum.
    This is the ducks nuts right now.

12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Use to love the first app the forum used. Simple asf. You could read and post. I very rarely use my phone to visit this site as it can be laggy. Would buy an app easily...

• List
  13. smc
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

smc 1st Grade Fringe

If an app adds no functionality to what can be done in a mobile browser what purpose does an app serve?

As far as I can tell I can currently do everything on mobile that I can do on a PC.

It seems to be an app for the sake of having an app, a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

• List
  14. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

A lot of ppl (65%) visit the site on their smartphones rather than desktop.

Most of what you say is True, however a native mobile app can make the experience of reading, replying and getting realtime alerts a lot better. Liken it to a banking app from your bank. You can use the mobile version of the bank on your smartphone but the native mobile app makes things just that lil bit better, for the user anyway. Even if we go ahead with a native app, the mobile and desktop versions will continue to exist. This is more to get a feedback on how many ppl are likely to use it.

• List
  15. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

Horriors2013 1st Grade Fringe

The coding would be perfect for your mobile. You wouldn't have to scroll as much. The pages fit your screen better. It is formatted to make posting easier. This is why Google insists on all websites making themselves mobile-friendly if they want to be found easier. Like with online banking. Your browser jumps around when changing or refreshing pages. On mobile-friendly websites the fields are set up so that you can easily jump to where you want precisely. You'll quickly forget the $5 when you realise how much you post online via your mobile.$5 is nothing.

• List
  16. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

A lot of my posts I make on gameday (in fact all of them) while at the game, contain spelling errors because the web browser jumps around and the mobile tries to autocorrect every single time. I know autocorrect won't change on an app, but the jumping will to a noticeable degree IMO.

17. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

I have a Galaxy J5 prime if anyone is wondering..

18. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll test it out in the coming new year and see if its of benefit. Will pick a couple of random testers from the above group to test. If you are interested in testing pm me.

If all goes good it should be ready by kickoff for start of next season.

Just a note that there will also be approx 2 day shutdown of the site in early jan as we move to a bigger faster server. It seems we outgrow our needs each year. Will provide notice before that happens.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List