Isaiah Papalii

1. AyushG
    Join:
    Feb 25, 2015

AyushG U20's Player

Hey mt wellington mate, some of the journos on foxsports reckon CLARK will be the one dropped rather than Afoa. Always trust your mail over theirs, so has anything changed over the last 24 hours in that regard?

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Yeah sorry should have retracted that. Clark is out. Bodene to the bench...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

4. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Isaiah receiving his debut jersey from his grandmother:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

SK and Foran are cracking up about something:D

6. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

That's because mt.wellingtonmt.wellington is hiding behind the camera man wanting first dibs on Isaiah's jersey ;)

• Funny Funny x 11
    • List
  7. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

SJ- " you don't get yours till round....

8. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

New Zealand Warriors debutant Isaiah Papali'i: 'It was a dream come true'
    12:05 PM Monday Mar 6, 2017
    Isaiah Papalii playing in pre-season during the Titans. Photo / Photosport
    Warriors debutant Isaiah Papali'i could have chased an All Blacks jersey but the talented teenager knew before leaving high school that his future lay in rugby league.

The 18-year-old back-rower enjoyed his first taste of NRL football when he replaced Warriors vice-captain Simon Mannering early in the second-half of Sunday's 26-22 win over Newcastle at Mt Smart Stadium.

Papali'i's first grade initiation was a difficult one, with Knights forward Jack Stockwell powering through his combined tackle with Bodene Thompson to score as the visitors launched a spirited comeback, but he enjoyed three touches and made 13 tackles in a solid 21 minute outing.

"It was a dream come true," said Papali'i.

"I grew up watching the NRL and to get on the field and actually get a crack at it was definitely a memory to cherish forever.

"It was another step up from the trials and definitely a step up from the under 20s.

"I'm keen to get more of a taste of it and keep on getting more experience and game fitness."

He looks set to enjoy a long career in the 13-man code but could easily have pursued a Super Rugby contract and All Blacks selection after spearheading Mt Albert Grammar's National First XV championship victory last year and winning the schoolboy Player of the Year award.

The multi-talented athlete also turned out for the Warriors NYC side last season before winning selection for the Junior Kiwis, and that success followed two gold medal winning efforts at the 2014 Oceania Power Lifting Championships in New Caledonia.

Rugby scouts were certainly keen on securing his services and he was shoo-in to make the New Zealand Schoolboys rugby side but was ruled ineligible once the Warriors signed him to a three-year deal.

However, rugby was never his main passion and more of a way for the aspiring Personal Trainer to stay busy, in between workouts at his parents CrossFit gym in Avondale.

"I managed to have a big season last year," he said. "Just because of the school I went to, I got put into a rugby program, but I knew coming out of that I wanted to play league.

"I wasn't too torn between the two (codes), I was more ready for league straight out of school

"Signing with the Warriors before I started my last year, kind of undercut everything. They (scouts) knew what I was doing so I didn't get too much hassle about it but my school supported me well so it was a good year."

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney was pleased with Papali'i's first-up performance and rapid progression through the preseason.

Together with 19-year-old five-eighth Ata Hingano, who looked right at home in just his third first grade appearance, the pair are examples of what Kearney hopes the Warriors development system will continue to produce.

"It was a tough one to throw him in there for," said Kearney.

"Along with Ata, it was a real pressure cooker out there for them, but he did really well.

"I know there was a mistake he made down on the try-line but he's done wonderfully well during the preseason and trials.

"For us as a football club that's what we want to encourage, these young kids that are coming through our club, is to give them the opportunity to be better NRL players."

- Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Read more by Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

9. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Was a very solid debut. Not sure I'd have him there for the Storm game as we need a bench hooker and he seems the most likely to drop.

Still liked what I saw though. His off the ball work was outstanding. One of the first things he did when he came on was get behind a teammate when it looked likely they would be driven backwards. He then twice in the one set was running in support of the one out ball carrier.

Once he gets match fitness and maturity he's going to be special, not only because he can do his own job, but he puts himself in position to support his teammates, something that is too often lacking in our team.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List
  10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

The debutante sitting in between almost 500 games experience...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  11. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome photo!! What is he like to talk to do you know?

12. Jaka
    Join:
    May 22, 2016

Jaka Warriors Bench Player

13. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

If he becomes like Marty Taupau I'll be happy.

14. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

He seems to have an excellent training mentality. He already possesses discipline, a love of league, a footy brain, handling skills. All the traits Kearney had plus added power. Hopefully this is a taste of what our future juniors will be like. It appears that we are now more focused on developing individuals rather than winning U20s comps, which is fine by me. It's what the Aussies do.

• List
  15. BiggerD
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

BiggerD 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone want to start a petition to get 138 Sonny Fai's name more prominent on that name board in the background?

• List
  16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Looking at the way the names are done it looks like the small names have played less than 50 games, medium size font have played 50+ and the large names have played 100 or more. Maybe have his name in gold or something? There is a small cross next to his name...

• List
  17. Murraytd
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2014

Murraytd 1st Grade Fringe

I really hope we persevere with this kid in the top flight. He clearly has all the attributes needed to succeed. I feel we have failed emerging talent in the past, this kid is ready and will only get better. Look at Latrell Mitchell tonight, he made some mistakes last year, but the Roosters saw the potential and have a quality product now, not in 2 years. It will shit me off no end if we mess with this kid with bollocks about not being ready yet, give them time. Some people are just ready, and NEED to be exposed to to top flight footy so they do progress, feel this kid is one of these players.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    • List
  18. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Looks like he's been sent to reserve grade this week - not named in the final 19.

19. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

How has he been going in isp? If we are struggling to recruit forwards for next year then he may have the attributes we need. Would love to see him in the 17 this week

20. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

He's been fairly average in NYC. Not sure on him.

Erin Clark though I'm sure on him. Absolutely shithouse.