Issac Luke

1. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

How do you think Issac Luke will go next year? it should be interesting to read peoples opinions now then rewind back here next year and see how many of us go it right.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Luke. There, I said it. He's as solid as a rock, but I think he gets into trouble way too often and people looking to him as a leader could be in for a big disappointment (IMHO). He's a much more mature player now, but I still have my doubts on his ability to stay focused when he gets here.

If anything, I expect the lack of discipline at the Warriors will impact his performance and we will be arguing the merits of having recruited him.

Hang me to dry in 12 months, or give the dog a bone if I am on the money.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  2. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

I think theres already a thread for RTS and Luke signing that covers this but I have similar thoughts. In that other thread I posted that I don't think he will get away with the leg pulls and laying in the tackle that he gets away with at the Rabbits, and he still gets pinged a fair bit there

3. Fantail23
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2015

Fantail23 Warriors Bench Player

I Agree that his discipline has been a problem, But feel it's better than a few years ago but still room to work on. But i like the toughness & hope it rubs off on the others there. The warriors need a player with bit of mongrel & he brings that give me more like it. He in his prime not coming to the end of his career. He's 1 off the best hookers in the game & can play 80min. Great dumpy halve runner which is something that has been lacking & will help our forwards get a roll on. 1 off the best signing ever with RTS at the top of my list.

4. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

I think the good things Luke will bring to the club are exactly what the team needs, I also think the bad side of him and his game are exactly what we desperately need to get rid of...I just hope he plays a huge part in turning this club around rather than adding to its problems. Both are possible outcomes.

5. Tezza91
    Join:
    Aug 4, 2013

Tezza91 Warriors Bench Player

I think that he's definitely an upgrade on what we got, obviously. I don't think he's the messiah though.

I too am worried about the lack of discipline and professionalism at the club, in regards to Luke (and in general). How old is he 28 with a wife and a few kids. Surely it won't be a problem. On field, he'll most certainly be gone for 2-3 games a year. Probably longer now because he's at this club.

He will almost certainly get our forwards around better. And hopefully make a good combo with Johnson and RTS, which is only a good thing for the kiwis and warriors.

6. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

The combinations between RTS, SJ and Luke will be outstanding... Probably the best spine in the comp by the time Origin rolls around...

If that doesn't give the rest of the squad the boner they need to believe we can make the top 4 then nothing will...

The big question is will the rest of the squad buy into the game plan and play second fiddle to these three on game days?

I sure hope so cause making the top 9 isn't cutting it anymore...

7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

As successful as he wants to be as long as he puts the work in...

8. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I personally would have liked another forward signing to compliment the Luke signing. Another forward we can guarantee will make some strong carries that he can work off.

Athletically we aren't getting him at his quickest; I think we are getting a more well rounded footballer with better dummy half service and can lead a side around the field a lot better than he could earlier in his career.

He is what we have been asking for. A dummy half to guide us around the field, provides a threat running from dummy half, quick service for our halves.

Sure he can have discipline issues but he also plays with a lot of passion which could help

Will he be a success? Depends how we measure it; just on field results it will be a big ask and we'll probably need a few more signings. Is it only next year or the length of his contract that?

He's coming back wanting to be here which after all of our recruitment issues is refreshing. He is wanting to come back and play in front of his family so he should be motivated. He provides us with another leader and a lot of skills we need. Will he help change the club off the paddock after coming from a disciplined club like Souths or will he hear about the Warriors being different again?

I think he will be a success. We will get the threat from dummy half we have lacked and he will help guide us around the field well. Initially we should see an improvement on the field. Long term we will still need to add a few more signings to improve our squad.

9. glory_hog
    Join:
    Jun 13, 2015

glory_hog 1st Grade Fringe

He'll make a huge impact at dummy half, and thats what we've been lacking last few years, never been a Friend fan although he had more guts and heart then most of the team put together, just lacked the natural ability.

with Luke least you know, he'll be getting the forwards to roll better, be barking orders around the ruck, trying to get the boys to get faster play the balls, picking his moments to chime in. getting cleaner and faster distribution, solid one on one defense and leadership, really what more could you ask from a dummy half.

I just cant see him going down that cuzzy bro, she'll be right, dont give a fuck attitude some on here are talking about. Hell yeah he'll have a few brain snaps, hes competitive and doesnt want to give a inch, hes a winner, he wants to win, he aint coming to the Warriors to just come on some losing streak holiday. these two signings (Luke, RTS) are the making of the new Warriors.

I can see us top 4-6 by end of regular season, and if we fail top 8 2016 it def wont be because of him. anyway thats my take.

10. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

Not as successful as everyone is hoping he will be. He already spends half his time on the sideline through injury and suspension.

I actually think next year will be similar to this one. RTVS and Luke are great players and good signings, but I don't think they'll be enough to make up for the deficiencies of the current squad. I'm particularly worried about our structure and who exactly is going to play the steady role. There's a lot of ad-lib players in there and not a lot of '4 up the middle then kick for the corner' type of player, if that makes sense. I think most people are hoping we'll have enough fancy footwork to outscore any opponent the way we did in 2002, but the reality of the NRL is that won't win you a premiership that way, and the rest of the squad are not good enough to compliment the 3 or 4 world class players in our line-up.

11. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Maybe with the interchange rules coming in, and some other new rules to open the game up, we'll be in the sweet spot with our free running, exciting, actually fun to watch, footy players..

12. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

I think Isaac will make a major impact. Particularly with the change in interchange rules. The Warriors will get two guys who are quite relentless at testing the honesty behind he ruck in RTS and Isaac Luke. I think that will drag defenders in tighter and create space on the fringes for Shaun Johnson and (Hopefully still here) Konrad Hurrell to exploit. I think if I analyse Sam Tomkins game, while he has a terrific short passing game, one thing he doesn't do is draw defenders in by beating players in the middle. So your defence can spread a bit more. And Nathan Friend, while he has tried to run more in the last 2 months or so, he doesn't have that touch of acceleration to leave markers gasping like Luke does.

The interesting thing for me is how they'll use Luke. I suspect now, having seen Tuimoala Lolohea at this stage hasn't developed his organisational skills as well as is needed to move a team around, I would like to see Thomas Leuluai revert back to 6 and rotate the forwards more for impact. Luke can genuinely go 80 without a trouble. Again, given the interchange rule changes I think that is an added bonus.

13. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

Maybe, though it's not a big enough drop to have a massive, immediate impact. Sports science being what it is will tailor these guys to be able to play 65 mins instead of 55, many are already capable but are substituted to give fresh legs a run off the bench. The makeup of the 17 will also be different to suit less interchanges.

Don't get me wrong, Luke will definitely make an impact, but I think the team still lacks enough quality elsewhere, particularly in defensive structure and technique, to pose a consistent threat.

14. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

TL says Hi.

Have to admit though, I do like the positivity in your comments. We'll see soon enough.

15. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

It'll be nice to see a point of attack from dummyhalf (cant remember the last time we had that...Hohaia maybe?). Johnson will certainly appreciate the extra room with markers and ruck defenders no longer able to just double off straight onto our playmakers....Luke should keep them honest
    That said he's been playing behind a pretty powerful pack of Burgei for a few seasons who like to dominate the ruck. Be interesting to see how he adjusts given our forwards powder puff tendencies at times.
    Yeah like others i hope the Warriors dont bring out the bonehead mentality in him.

16. Ref
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Ref 1st Grade Fringe

17. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

He will be awesome...but we will no doubt feel the wrath of his judiciary loading if he gets any charges!

18. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Been wanting a decent attacking hooker who can actually pass for the last 2-3 years. Issac Luke is that man. Was the best rake in the game last season.

My only concerns are:

1. Will our forwards deliver him the same platform as he has enjoyed at the Rabbitohs?
    2. Will Cappy implement an attacking plan that will utilise his skillset? Will he have support runners running off him? Forwards running shotgun off Luke's hip?
    3. Will the Warriors culture inspire Issac to play at this best or will he become complacent?

We'll soon find out...

19. olek_skillgannon
    Join:
    Jun 26, 2012

olek_skillgannon Troll

20. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

be worried folks. Thats two weeks in a row for a shoulder charge and now suspended for two weeks.

Some people never learn.